How To Vape Like Hookah

Chreees

NOTE: I will edit this over time, as things change in the industry so much... You'll see "EDIT" notes throughout.

If you're like me, then you think it'd be awesome to have "hookah on the go." Well, with vaping, that is possible. Forget the "e-hookah" products you see. Those are junk. Here's what you need to emulate hookah with a vaporizer:

-A good mechanical mod. Go for the clones, as they're made very well. Only buy the authentic mods if you want the bragging rights. Or, you can get a good variable voltage/variable wattage regulated device, such as the Innokin MVP 3; Sigelei 50W, 100W, 150W; or IPV2 or IPV3. Then there's tons of custom modders who make box mods that you can look into, such as www.minemodz.com. I own two from them- the dual 18650 MOSFET box, and the 120W Raptor box. Both are great. Many options out there for regulated devices...
-A good RTA or RDA (rebuildable tank atomizer or rebuildable dripping atomizer). Look up videos on YouTube on how to build coils for whatever atomizer you decide to buy.
-Ohm reader to test your builds on.
-Samsung 25r batteries (I wouldn't get the Sony batteries right now, as there are just too many fakes out there).
-Nitecore battery charger (it won't kill the battery, as it stops charging when it's done- makes batteries last longer).
-A wide-bore drip tip or atomizer that comes with a wide-bore tip. This will allow an open draw similar to hookah.
-A good e-juice with a higher percentage of vegetable glycerin, and low nicotine to reduce throat hit, but have some major vapor production. More on this below...

Now I've just recently gotten into mech mods and dripping, but man have I loved it so far. I just don't really have time for hookah anymore, with working all day and hardly having any time before I have to be in bed to do it all over again. Mainly been smoking hookah on the weekends. Since I can vape at work, I figured why not. It allows me to hookah at work, in the car, where ever. Not only is it more convenient, but it is also cheaper I believe with the rising costs of hookahs and hookah tobacco.

EDIT: I no longer smoke hookah... vaping is just too easy, and since my son was born, I just couldn't find the time to smoke hookah anymore!

As for the e-juice, you need to get something with a higher percentage of vegetable glycerin. Most juices have four components- Propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, nicotine, and the flavoring. Some juice makers add alcohol, water, etc., but I don't mess with any of that. The PG and nicotine increase the throat hit from my experience, whereas the VG increases your vapor output. I have found that the perfect balance is 80VG/20PG (or Max VG), 3mg nicotine, and 2 extra flavor shots, since the VG hinders the flavor. I get most of my juice from MountBakerVapor.com, since they let you customize everything, and because their prices start at $4.99 per 15ml, which is pretty much the best price that I've found thus far for a decent quality juice. If you're lucky, you can find a local shop that will customize like this for you. I found one right down the street from my work that will do whatever I ask, which is awesome (EDIT: This shop closed, so I now order online exclusively).

EDIT: Now I get all my juice from www.vapewild.com, as MBV went downhill in quality. Fruit Hoops, Cowboy Cooler, Smurf Cake, Fruity Freeze, Strawberry & Cream... all amazing. I order their juice in Max VG, extra flavoring. Can't beat the price!

I personally have been rocking a Nemesis Clone, TOBH Atty v2 RDA or Fogger v4 RBA (Depends on if I feel like dripping or not), rotating 2 Sony batteries (I always keep one on my Nitecore charger), Vapelyfe drip tip (thanks again Cody), Temco 28g kanthal wire (look it up on eBay, I paid $8 for 100ft), and organic cotton for wicking. Nowadays I only use my MVP 2 to test my builds on, to make sure nothing blows up in my face. I got literally everything off of eBay to get me into mech mods. Cost about $120 total. That's cheaper than the price of most hookahs these days!

EDIT: Now I use box mods from Mine Modz (www.minemodz.com). Infinite CLT v2 Plus is my go-to for dripping, I have two, one for each of my box mods. I also swapped to 26g kanthal wire (again around $8 on eBay from Temco). And for cotton, I recommend picking up the $5 rolled cotton from CVS Pharmacy. Will last you years.

I love how vivid the flavors can be with vaping. Don't get me wrong, I still love my hookahs and smoke them on the weekends. But vaping is just a different experience that I also greatly enjoy. Not to mention the ability to vape in the car, at work, etc. Also going to be very handy when I become a father later this year.

Any of my fellow vapers on here have anything to add, please feel free to do so. I had a lot of trouble finding info on emulating hookah with vaping, so I figured this could be a good resource for it so it can help others.

Edited by Chreees
Edited to update some things and make more relevant, since the industry changes so fast!

From the bottom of my heart, I have to say thanks Chris. I'm sure this will be helpful to many around here, myself among them!

I have things to add later but I'm on vacation now in Florida. I will say your build/wicking/airflow has a lot to do with your output and and heat of your vape as well as throat hit (if you're anything like me you'll hate throat hit from a dripper). Don't try dripping anything other than 3-6mg Nic from a dripper unless you like a raw throat. Make sure your builds are safe to use with the battery you're using (there are articles online at e-cigarette forum and they can answer any questions others don't know answers to) but I will say anything .1 and above for sub ohming is safe.

New people joining the vape scene try building around 1. to .5 you'll enjoy that and get great clouds until you've vaped awhile. As Chris said don't buy authentics if you're looking to do this cheaply until you're 100% sure that's what you like. I have a authentic vanilla mod but my stainless nemesis is my first and I still love that thing too.

Great info, Cody! I knew I wouldn't be able to cover even half of everything, so I figured by the time everyone chimed in this thread would be what I was looking for when I started vaping. :)

I used Suck My Mod's tutorial for the Fogger v4 build, Jon. Here's the video:

http://youtu.be/OQ6tvvFF3IY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suck My Mod also does a good review of the TOBH Atty v2 RDA. This video in addition to Cody's recommendation are why I got it, and I have no regrets whatsoever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HbBcPC_xbo

And this is the video I watched when I built my Atty for the first time. Probably not the best one out there, as there's many, but I was anxious to get into it, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oF3n7Q_GTw

There's so so so so so so so many reviews on products and how to guides out there. Seriously I won't even bother due to the large amount. I will give direct help when asked though or answers to questions.

When you have questions just search YouTube or Google with keywords and you'll find it.

One last thing, get sony vtc 4 or vtc5 batteries or equivalent after researching said battery. Do not buy cheap batteries as they are what make vaping safe or not. You could have batteries vent on you under stress if you push them too hard. Do not build under .1 with vtc batteries unless you research and find the safe threshold for them.

Theres some pretty good information in your post Chris. The only thing I would add is that while clones have a place for people that can't/ don't want to pay for authentics, not all clones are made well. I also have an issue with cloners stealing designs and trademarked logo's simply to make money. I buy authentics only because I appreciate the innovation, design and craftsmanship. As for blowing clouds/ flavor when it comes to rebuildables it's all in your build/ airflow.

That's a good point, Wade. Didn't really think of it that way. I just think about what hurts my wallet more! And right now with saving for a baby and all, I'm kinda on a budget. But I will say, I enjoy my Nemesis clone so much that I think I will buy the authentic someday, to give money to the people who truly deserve it.

Cody- That's exactly why I mentioned legit Sony batteries in my first post. I'll revise it to say that I use VTC4s, to clarify. As for subohming safety, I definitely have more to learn there. Perhaps you could write up a thread on it sometime? Not only I but I'm sure many others would appreciate it.

On the point of legit mods vs. clones, sometimes a design is just shitty. I have a legit Nemesis and a legit 69 mod (both are made by Atmomixani). The Nemesis is simple and works flawlessly. The 69 constantly has misfires because it's a shitty firing mechanism design. Along with that, you can't softly push the button, you have to really push it in hard. It, honestly, just doesn't feel good to use. So, even though it's a legit mod, it's still a POS.

My lady has an El Kapitan, and it is by far the worst designed mod I have used. If you lock and unlock the ring a few times the bottom button slips off, and the V1 do not really have adjustable screws.

Most legit mods have an enormous mark-up and force supply down and do limited addition runs to falsely keep costs up. I have no sympathy for companies that try to control the market, they brought the clone situation upon themselves. 

• Upvote 1

My lady has an El Kapitan, and it is by far the worst designed mod I have used. If you lock and unlock the ring a few times the bottom button slips off, and the V1 do not really have adjustable screws.

Most legit mods have an enormous mark-up and force supply down and do limited addition runs to falsely keep costs up. I have no sympathy for companies that try to control the market, they brought the clone situation upon themselves. 

This is pretty much the reason why I'm okay with buying clones.

That's a good point, Wade. Didn't really think of it that way. I just think about what hurts my wallet more! And right now with saving for a baby and all, I'm kinda on a budget. But I will say, I enjoy my Nemesis clone so much that I think I will buy the authentic someday, to give money to the people who truly deserve it.

Cody- That's exactly why I mentioned legit Sony batteries in my first post. I'll revise it to say that I use VTC4s, to clarify. As for subohming safety, I definitely have more to learn there. Perhaps you could write up a thread on it sometime? Not only I but I'm sure many others would appreciate it.

Yeah I'll be doing softer when I have time.

• 2 weeks later...
Apparently the new aspire nautilus coils are the shit. They're vertical coils that wick like a champ and are in the new nautilus mini by default. IMO check them out and watch the video by suck my mod. He shows their output.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I don't think any of the liquids taste like shisha.

Try Govern's tobacco wax -- it's like a flavored tobacco concentrate.  Not much retail presence but they have a website bondstreetwax. 

You need a good concentrate pen for it.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't have idea about hookh. But vaping is always interesting. And it of course helps to quit smoking.

On 3/8/2017 at 8:12 PM, PlayaBlanca said:

I don't think any of the liquids taste like shisha.

Try Govern's tobacco wax -- it's like a flavored tobacco concentrate.  Not much retail presence but they have a website bondstreetwax. 

You need a good concentrate pen for it.

Could you describe a bit about Shisha?