How Do Any Of Y'all Get Tangiers To Work W/ Cocos!? Japs 4 Lyfe!

I spent years on this forum reading non-stop "THIS is the definitive guide to doing Tangiers" and consistently failing.  Always, always fail with Cocos.  Use x amount of coals or cut them in half and use Y amount. Nope, taste like burnt poopy after 10 minutes of barely getting smoke.

I got a box of Japs recently and holy cow, THIS IS THE ANSWER!  Cut the Japs in half and doesn't matter if I put 3, 4, 5, or 6 halves on an Alien bowl.  It ALWAYS smokes well and doesn't seppuku itself within 10 minutes.

I never acclimate it and I'm in SoFla so humidity is always an issue. 

tl;dr: Tangiers + Japs = The easiest way to smoke the liquid fury.

I go through phases of what I'm using and enjoying, but I have always had good luck with japanese coals. I think the real reason they work so great is simply is because they heat up the bowl slower, and then keep it at that slightly lower heat level.

The trick for me was exactly what Ty mentioned- heating the bowl up slowly. This means placing the cocos hanging off the edges of the bowl, and edging them in throughout the session. It's more finicky than using Japs, but definitely possible, as cocos are all I've been using for the past year or so (I went through a Japs phase but switched back to Coconaras due to the price).

Yeah the only way I was able to get Tangiers to work with coconuts was exactly what ty and chris said, slowly heat it. I'd use 2-3 halves on a small and move them around every 10 puffs or so, then add another half, and another every now and then and after about 20-25 min it was smoking really nice.

I actually think that was my biggest road block in getting Tangiers to work. It wasn't my pack or my amount of heat, it was how and when to apply the heat.

But yes, Japanese coal make life way easier with tangiers.

Half Japanese coals... do you have to reapply every 5 minutes?

More like ~20 minutes.  It's a complete PITA but having Tangiers run more reliably is worth the trade-off.

Ya I live 10min away from Tangiers and never smoked it cause it was too much a hassle with cocos. But I just got s lotus and it works wonderfully. I need some Japanese coals to try out

just a very very slow ride worked fine for me when I had tangiers, slowly but steadily moving them inwards every 10 minutes ish, not all the way in at any point, just enough to make sure the bowl was nice and properly hot throughout!

I personally love coconut coals, they smoke cleaner and with out as much added taste.~

I place mine on the edges, move them around the edges and then slowly in wards as the coals die out until I need newer coals. 

• 2 weeks later...

always use jap coals man for life! i use them with all tobacco. And yah its a medium heat coal so its not a hot as coco's just not worth it. i dont like the burnt taste i like the clean taste of my tobacco.

coconut coals work great for me. mini/pico tang bowl, 2 full coconuts hanging off the edges. works great, no issues. I use the same amount of heat on small bowls too, but with them hanging off just a little less, when the clouds start to dwindle, ash, and put them in further on the bowl, relight new coals at around 1/2-1/3 of original coal size, put the new coals on the un-used section of the bowl, also on the edges (this time i let the coals cool off more in the tray before putting them on) picos i get 2 rounds of coals out of most flavors, kashmir usually can get 3 rounds. smalls 3-4 rounds.

fruity and creamy flavors tend to heat up quickly and require more precise maintenance, but generally the same method.

japs are too much work for me lol