So I Bought A Smokerlyzer

Interesting results. I'm not all that surprised. I've always felt like the Mayo Clinic report released a few years ago was beefed up to make hookah look bad, and all the vendors and people making money off of hookah talk up how much better hookah is for you. Smoking kills, period.

But I am interested in seeing the rest of the results of your tests. Keep us posted! Keep up the good work!

I can already say they've impacted me, if John's test of the Japanese coals proves Eric right, then I'm switching, and if there is little appreciable difference, then I'm cutting back even more.

I can already say they've impacted me, if John's test of the Japanese coals proves Eric right, then I'm switching, and if there is little appreciable difference, then I'm cutting back even more.

I 2nd that statement.

If the Japanese coals give me the same or similar numbers I will probably only smoke 1 day a week. If they are much lower I will continue to smoke the usual 3 or so nights a week.

Man I smoke couple hours a night solo with cocos.

Japs are so expensive plus going through a ton in a small amount of time.

Have you tried other cocos yet? Like shishaco and AF are probably worse than that. Nara and Mya might be better than ultimates.

I don't care about price ... price vs health ... take your pick.

Even going through a bunch of them it appears so far that they will still have far less CO than coconut coals.

I don't have any other coconut coals other than ultimates at the moment.

Man. I smoke a few hours a day and I'll say your results kind of worry me. Where did you big this smokerlyzer? I may have to cut back on hookah a lot based on this evidence.

I got it off eBay. It definitely is calibrated and working properly.

To give you an idea the info online states the following:

1 pack of ciggs a day = 15-30ppm

2 packs of ciggs a day = 30-50ppm

3 packs of ciggs a day = 90-100+ppm

Dependent upon brand of ciggs how hard/deep you inhale and how long you wait in between cigarettes.

So even after I took only 40 hits in 2 hours of time my numbers reached the high end of 1 pack of ciggs a day to low end of 2 packs of ciggs a day in terms of CO.

I got it off eBay. It definitely is calibrated and working properly.

To give you an idea the info online states the following:

1 pack of ciggs a day = 15-30ppm
2 packs of ciggs a day = 30-50ppm
3 packs of ciggs a day = 90-100+ppm

Dependent upon brand of ciggs how hard/deep you inhale and how long you wait in between cigarettes.

So even after I took only 40 hits in 2 hours of time my numbers reached the high end of 1 pack of ciggs a day to low end of 2 packs of ciggs a day in terms of CO.

How much was it?

read above man :-)

it was 31ppm after 40 hits in 2 hours because I was sharing with 5 other people.

Would you be willing to try this with a fan on? Perhaps giving the coals an ample amount of oxygen would help limit the CO levels.

Y.O.L.O

Kinda how I feel about the situation. I'm still going to smoke hookah no matter how bad it is. But I am still curious to know the data. :)

I was wondering if you work out. And I'm working if you do work out, if you expend CO more easily and even more so during your work out. In the same token, I'm wondering if the liver helps "detox" CO, so if a supplement like Milk Thistle or its extract Silymarin would help the liver to get rid of CO quicker.

While I don't know those answers, it does seem like when I take Silymarin, I get that nicotine "high" again which leads me to saying that the liver is then detoxing the nicotine from the body more readily than without it. If you want, we can discuss a deal where I send you some supplements to try with your experiment to see how the body reacts. PM me if you are interested.

I don't care about price ... price vs health ... take your pick.

Even going through a bunch of them it appears so far that they will still have far less CO than coconut coals.

I don't have any other coconut coals other than ultimates at the moment.

wasn't saying i pick price over health, just that my habits may change.

45 hits in on our second bowl 5 people and I am at 37ppm ...

for 3 hits, 15 his, 27 hits, 40 hits it was the same as the above data, tonight I am getting the hose more so now I am at 45 hits with 37ppm.

It is definitely way higher than I am comfortable with.

45 hits is not very much and 37ppm is in the middle range of a 2pack a day smoker ... I'm not cool with that.

as I said ... JAPANESE COALS CANNOT GET HERE QUICK ENOUGH. I will be testing with fumari Japanese coals on wed. If they even drop CO by 20% they will be my new coal no matter how much of a pain they can be.

And I will also test other coconut coals if and when people send them to me but I am thinking they will be similar to the ultimates as coconut coals are all similar.