Going A Little Genetic Opera Here, Time To Harvest Organs?

So I was discussing this with a couple of my friends. First we have all these convicts serving life sentences without the possibility of parole(thanks to gutless wonders that have taken the death penalty off the table) and all they are, are burdens on tax payers. Why don't we start getting something out of them? We have a blood shortage, why don't we start harvesting blood from them?  We need kidneys, livers, hearts, seems like we have a veritable smorgasbord of parts at our disposal.  So let's start testing them, if they test positive for something we can use, they are segregated from the general population to keep them clean, make sure they aren't exposed to any diseases/prison drug use/STD's. Get better food/medical care, then we harvest what we need. IMO it's about time these lowlifes started to contribute to society again. Discuss?

I would be on board with a reward scenario.

Inmates could choose to do so on their own and receive a reward in turn, whatever that might be. But it's 100% volunteer based with the inmate making the choice and no one else.

Forced harvesting, I have spiritual, moral, ethical and humane objects to it. Let's not become the Nazi's here, Dr. Mengele.

Or this... We throw all these lowlifes onto an island that is surrounded by a very tall wall, and it's every man for himself. No aid whatsoever. No burden on the taxpayers.

BUT! These convicts can decide to contribute back to society, and may return to the mainland to live in better conditions in return for their contribution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting idea you have here
But if we gave them better good and medical care and the works wouldn't that also put a higher burden on taxpayers? Granted we would be getting more from it but I feel like they would have to build and or renovate exsisting prisons to have a cleaner more controlled cell block specific for these inmates
Although I do agree that this is a possible option and it would be incredibly useful and helpful
Chreees - so essentially create another Australia?

Inmates could choose to do so on their own and receive a reward in turn, whatever that might be. But it's 100% volunteer based with the inmate making the choice and no one else.

Forced harvesting, I have spiritual, moral, ethical and humane objects to it. Let's not become the Nazi's here, Dr. Mengele.

I find it interesting you would open to rewarding murderers, rapists, etc. I'm sure the families shattered by these monsters would have issues with that.

But if we gave them better good and medical care and the works wouldn't that also put a higher burden on taxpayers? Granted we would be getting more from it but I feel like they would have to build and or renovate exsisting prisons to have a cleaner more controlled cell block specific for these inmates
Although I do agree that this is a possible option and it would be incredibly useful and helpful
Chreees - so essentially create another Australia?

Australia? :huh:

I find it interesting you would open to rewarding murderers, rapists, etc. I'm sure the families shattered by these monsters would have issues with that.

You are assuming that all people on death row are habitual evil, when in fact there are many that one bad act defined their whole life.

In Texas, if my kids come into my room and get a hold of a firearm I failed to secure and they kill themselves... on top of losing my child I will spend the rest of my life (or 25-50 years with a REEEEEEEEALLY GOOD LAWYER) and then I would fall under your argument that I am some lowlife that would need to forfeit over some of my internal organs. Now is the fair?

And you are assumming I mean something substantial in reward when I meant more... pack of Marlboro for a pint of blood.

Pschologically as a society and those directly over seeing prisoners, have you not seen the observations and experiments of what that does to us as a people, it makes us just as evil. It makes us sadistic, it rots our inner self, our soul if you will.

Naghmeh Abedini. Jailed, tortured, no trial, held indifinetely....crime: Built a Christian Orphanage in Iran. Don't tell me we aren't doing the same in the US (Cuba) with guantanamo.

Keep in mind I fall to consertive side on most issues but this issue of the death penalty and the treatment of our prisoners in general has been one I have been wrestling with for years now.

As a Christian, I think all should be given the chance to find salvation in God. Because of this belief I don't condone the death penalty, I also can't condone an act on those paying their debt to society that would reflect on us as barbarous  as those imprsisoned. That does not reflect an enlightened and caring society.

What you suggest is treating prisoners worse than I would ever treat a dog, thier crimes do no cease to make them human.

Hey just my 2 cents.

Chris, Australia was originally a penal colony for Britain.

I don't agree with this because many people have been imprisoned wrongfully due to our court systems and legal systems being of human design. Maybe give inmates a choice to donate, or those who are sentenced to death, take their organs if they are healthy, maybe (could be a lot of conflict and morality crossing behind this one) but forcing it would be absurd. Edited by Codyb88

"While some have argued that prisoner participation would likely be too low to make a difference, one Arizona program started by Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio encourages inmates to voluntarily sign up to donate their heart and other organs.[4] As of mid-2012, over 10,000 inmates had signed up in that one county alone"- this came from wikipedia(so prolly not credible trying to find hard evidence of this) aparently its called the 'have a heart program' loo

[quote name="Stuie" post="593709" Chris, Australia was originally a penal colony for Britain.[/quote]

Ahhhh, that makes sense. Never knew that! Now I'm gonna look up more on the history of Australia because now I feel ignorant, lol.

[quote name="Codyb88" post="593718" timestamp="1395871533"]I don't agree with this because many people have been imprisoned wrongfully due to our court systems and legal systems being of human design. Maybe give inmates a choice to donate, or those who are sentenced to death, take their organs if they are healthy, maybe (could be a lot of conflict and morality crossing behind this one) but forcing it would be absurd.[/quote]

You're totally right. Tons of innocent folks sit in prisons today, and it's sad because most will never be proven not guilty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, no it wouldn't. You'd be surprised how easily renovated and "modular" most prison tiers are in fact. All it would take is completely emptying the tier of all personnel and washing the area with a chemical, such as bleach, to disinfect the area. And as far as medical care, they already get a high level of care, much higher then you or I get.  Hell, a woman in prison in Minnesota I believe, who is serving a natural life sentence for murdering her husband(non abusive husband) will now receive full gender reassignment surgery that the tax payers will have to foot the bill for, thanks to a bleeding heart judge.  Imagine how much that will cost the tax payers.?

You are assuming that all people on death row are habitual evil, when in fact there are many that one bad act defined their whole life.

In Texas, if my kids come into my room and get a hold of a firearm I failed to secure and they kill themselves... on top of losing my child I will spend the rest of my life (or 25-50 years with a REEEEEEEEALLY GOOD LAWYER) and then I would fall under your argument that I am some lowlife that would need to forfeit over some of my internal organs. Now is the fair?

What you suggest is treating prisoners worse than I would ever treat a dog.

As you said Stuie, if you were simply in prison for 25-50 years(doubtful, as the most you be charged with is involuntary manslaughter and failure to secure a gun, I think you'd serve 20 years on the highside, but just my opinion.) then you'd be an example of determinate sentencing, meaning you'd have an out date, and there by be in-eligible for the program. The only people who are candidates are the ones that WILL NEVER BREATH FREE AIR AGAIN and will forever live inside those bars, never being free men or women again. I'm talking the guy who shot up the Dark Knight movie theater, I'm talking the guy from Ohio that abducted 3 women over 15 years to repeatedly abuse, rape, and make them have his children while keeping them as sex slaves to torture and abuse. This is the kind of filth and evil this program is geared for.  I'm not saying we simply take the organs we need and leave them in some dank hole to suffer in the pain and side effects. They will receive good medical care and treatment/meds for whatever we harvest out. We need a kidney? They the donor shall receive the best possible care to off set the lose of their kidney. Better food(higher caloric intake, I'm even open to more normal meals, such as BBQ ribs, or fried chicken) dialysis or whatever medical care would be required to keep them healthy.  So I fail to see how this would make society the monster. The monsters are already in society, I'm just ready to meet the dregs head on.

I don't agree with this because many people have been imprisoned wrongfully due to our court systems and legal systems being of human design. Maybe give inmates a choice to donate, or those who are sentenced to death, take their organs if they are healthy, maybe (could be a lot of conflict and morality crossing behind this one) but forcing it would be absurd.

The death row ones are the ones I'm looking at. Here in IL, we no longer have death row, thanks to our moronic former governor that is now incarcerated and put a moratorium on the death penalty in a shameless PR move to buy himself so good karma. We just have thousands of low lifes that burden the system with their existence and I can't help but look at the poor innocent child for mom or dad that need an organ transplant, and think that that those are the ones I'd rather my taxes go to help.

Of course I'd treat a dog better over all, a dog only does what is in it's nature.

[quote name="Chreees" post="593725" timestamp="1395891547"][quote name="Stuie" post="593709" Chris, Australia was originally a penal colony for Britain.[/quote]Ahhhh, that makes sense. Never knew that! Now I'm gonna look up more on the history of Australia because now I feel ignorant, lol.

I don't agree with this because many people have been imprisoned wrongfully due to our court systems and legal systems being of human design. Maybe give inmates a choice to donate, or those who are sentenced to death, take their organs if they are healthy, maybe (could be a lot of conflict and morality crossing behind this one) but forcing it would be absurd.

You're totally right. Tons of innocent folks sit in prisons today, and it's sad because most will never be proven not guilty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

That's strange that it says you're quoting stuie.

I know what you're saying stay puft man, but the problem with your solution is human error. It's bad enough that there are people rotting in prison that don't belong there, you can't just take their life and organs too. That just seems like too much decision making. We shouldn't be allowed to basically play "god" by choosing who lives and who dies, and I guarantee you no "powerful official" deserves it considering their already substantial burden of obligations. In fact I think the prison/jail system needs better reform anyway as it strips people of their lives if incorrectly indicted and imprisoned.

Have you ever been accused of something you didn't do? I get accused of shit all the time at work (I work at a bank) that I didn't do. Thankfully notes save my ass time and time again and evidence backing accusations are incorrect. Edited by Codyb88

Do as the Romans do, and reignite gladiator wars. Sell tickets, make money.

But I'm not doing this for money, I'm doing this under the idea to help people. I want to see good people live healthy, long lives.

But I'm not doing this for money, I'm doing this under the idea to help people. I want to see good people live healthy, long lives.

It was a joke my friend. This will never happen in the US. Your definition of good people is skewered especially if you think all prisoners are either rapists or murderers. As for the people on death row.. it is very unlikely for society to accept a prisoner that was on death row back into society because they donated blood. Those same prisoners that the government plans to execute are very likely to refuse donating their organs for a softer bed.

Worrying about tax payer money and fighting to keep death row are two very conflicting perspectives. But that's a whole topic altogether.

Either way, I can agree with your idea on a much smaller scale. For example, prisoners under a 10 year sentence can donate blood for a period of time and expect time off their sentence.

It was a joke my friend. This will never happen in the US. Your definition of good people is skewered especially if you think all prisoners are either rapists or murderers. As for the people on death row.. it is very unlikely for society to accept a prisoner that was on death row back into society because they donated blood. Those same prisoners that the government plans to execute are very likely to refuse donating their organs for a softer bed.

Worrying about tax payer money and fighting to keep death row are two very conflicting perspectives. But that's a whole topic altogether.

Either way, I can agree with your idea on a much smaller scale. For example, prisoners under a 10 year sentence can donate blood for a period of time and expect time off their sentence.

Never did I say all prisoners are rapists or murderers. I simply said the people that are serving "natural life" sentences(the kind where there is absolutely no chance of that individual breathing free air again. Those are the people I am speaking of aiming this program at.  And contrary to what media loves to report, death row and the death sentence are not that expensive. The expensive part is the numerous appeals they get to do. A death row inmate can appeal, say 1 piece of evidence all the way to the supreme court. Now if the supreme court finds nothing wrong with that evidence and denies the appeal, that inmate can now START THE ENTIRE PROCESS OVER WITH ANOTHER ISSUE HE/SHE HAD WITH THE PROCEEDINGS.  My opinion on that is the appeal should entail every aspect of the trial, so that it is 1 comprehensive review. Not 20 or so appeals. That is where the expense comes.