What Is The Best Way To Setup My Phunnel Bowl?

Hi,

I have buyed last week a new hookah (Mya QT S class). I am using a washable hose. I have buyed a phunnel bowl. I never used it. I have smoked yesterday, but it was not very wel. Maybe I need to learn how to setup a phunnel bowl. Can someone tell me what the best method is to setup this bowl for AL Fakher two apple flavour? And what is the name of this bowl? There are many phunnel bowls. I would like to google around for this phunnel bowl which I have.

Here is my hookah stuff:

Mya QT S class
mya-qt-2-bleu.jpg
CocoBrico coals
Cocobrico-24.jpg

Phunnel bowl

ogB7mDN.JPG

XOjPw5r.JPG

k6wtzu25.JPG

Washable hose

tuyau-marrakech-tonic.jpg

Al_Fakher_Two_Apples-500x500.jpg

First off, can you please send me some Cocobricos??? Those are seriously the best coals I've ever used in my hookah smoking career!!!

Second, I believe you have a knockoff of an Alien Mini Phunnel bowl. I say knockoff because I see it's glazed on the inside, and I don't think the real ones are, unless that's something new they've been doing. I haven't used one in quite some time, but for all phunnels it should be about the same packing process... Now since it's been a while, I can't remember if it worked better for me packing AF loose or tight in a phunnel. I want to say loose, but don't quote me on that. We'll wait for someone else who knows for sure to chime in. For tight, pack as tight as it came in the package before you opened it, but without having the juices squeeze out. For loose, just sprinkle it in. Anyway, you want to pack the tobacco (loose or tight) up to the top of the inner spire, but just a tad below the outer rim. Start your coals out on opposite sides of the bowl, hanging off the edges a little. Actually, with how huge Bricos are, you might want to split one coal and use two halves, since the bowl is too small (tutorial for cutting coconut coals should be in my signature below). Or two full coals may be fine. Just gotta play around with it and see what works best. Also, be sure the coals are fully lit... Flip them midway while lighting to ensure they're lit throughout. Anyway, hope someone chimes in that can help more on AF in an Alien bowl. Keep us posted on your progress!

Can't say what bowl that is, but I'd agree with Chris, cuz he really knows his shit! :D As for packing AF in a phunnel, this is how I used to pack it in my crown micro. Its not at all a loose pack, but not jammed in there either. It is all neatly tucked in there but its hardly the "just drop it fluffy" pack you do for an Egyptian.......so I'd say somewhere in the middle. Just fiddle around with it and you should get the hang of it.

Shit, I must be remembering wrong! I thought they were like the Tangiers ones where they aren't glazed on the inside. My bad. I had a first-run one so it was quite a while ago... Another reason I suspect it may be a knockoff is it seems the OP is located somewhere in Europe, and I know they have knockoff Aliens over there.

Thanks for your support everybody.. What do you mean with knockoff? Do you  mean like a cheap imitation version of the mini alien bowl?

Here is my setup which was nasty!!: By the way, I make an mistake in my starting post. I dont use CocoBrico. I use CocoNacha. What is wrong with my setup? There is no flavour of apple. The taste is very harsh/sharp in my throat. Thee hookah, hose are new!

20090604-p4pt3cbmtj6g19ka9d4q7eq955.jpg

PCFYul.JPG

eP7n0Ik.JPG

plkOTb5.JPG

ZW3XYK.JPG

xSp.JPG

WE17n.JPG

MxCX.JPG

VCUe8.JPG

Yeah, the european market is flooded with chinese copies of different bowl designs, the size ratios are usually ok but the material is always cheap and wont retain heat as well. As for your set up I have never used that bowl before but I would say youre using too little tobacco IMO, your AF looks legit to me... try more baccy and slow heat startup (start with a coal, add another, and then the third, slowly build up heat till you get a good level of smoke/flavor).

Knockoff just means imitation. It may be decent quality compared to the original, or it may not. Depends on how cheap the manufacturer was, lol. Anyway, it looks like you're using too little tobacco. Don't be afraid to let it touch the foil a bit. Be sure to pack it evenly, and more dense around the sides. Coals should be fine. If I remember correctly, those are good coals too. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude.... It could be the pictures, but to me too, it looks like you're not putting enough tobacco in the bowl. Plus, when you start the bowl, you want the 2 coals on the very edge of the bowl so you don't burn the tobacco. So basically, put more tobacco in the bowl, keep your coals on the edge of the bowl, like hanging off the edge, and use a wind cover. In case you don't have a wind cover, you can just fashion one out, out of foil. Like this. Coals on the edge. Foil wind cover

Thanks John. I will try that. :) Although, how is it wasting If I get optimal heat to be able to get good flavour and considering that 2 whole coals will last as long as the broken pieces? I will definitely try your method tonight when I smoke, but I'm just curious. I thought the idea behind putting the coals on the edge was to heat up the bowl so that it cooks the tobacco evenly, as opposed to putting the coals where the tobacco is because it scorches the top layer?

I will say the flavor is better when pieces of coal are centered in the bowl rather than hanging off.

Also, if I use whole coals I can go through about 7-8 whole coals in my small phunnel and in both coal scenarios the bowl is cooked.

If I use halves, I go through 4.5 whole coals. So through experience you absolutely save coal.

As for the better taste and better sessions using halves, It's because the heat is spread out over a larger area. So you are evenly heating the bowl. Using 2 or 3 whole coals (especially with coconut coals) wastes coal because they are so thick, there is no way all that heat is being transferred economically to the bowl.

Try this, use whole coals hanging off, and see how long it takes to get the size clouds and flavor you are looking for, then figure out how many halves you need to achieve the perfect heat and use halves centered on the bowl. Tell me which one builds clouds and flavor quicker.