Pregnancy And Second Hand Hookah Smoke

So I'm recently preggers and as such I have put my hookah ways on hold for awhile.  My husband still smokes though. I haven't really seen any information on this but is it a problem if I'm in the same room that he is smoking in? Or what about in clothes, hair etc?  Also - lighting of the coals, can that still be done indoors? thanks in advance.  

congratulations!!

I'd definitely light the coals outside, that's when most CO's seem to come off. as far as second hand goes, that's definitely something you should use your best judgement for. Hasn't been many tests about it with hookah

I think that if you have a reasonable knowledge about something and you are questioning whether it's good or bad for the baby, err on the side of it being bad. ~9 months isn't that long. Congratulations though!

Well I smoked through both of my kiddos' pregnancy. Now I didn't smoke in confined places with my wife, but I did use naturals and smoked in the house. Both our kids are fine and healthy.

Well I smoked through both of my kiddos' pregnancy. Now I didn't smoke in confined places with my wife, but I did use naturals and smoked in the house. Both our kids are fine and healthy.

yeah its not close proximity - its more like same level of the house.  I will probably ask him to move things outdoors or garage though just play it safe. 

When my wife was pregnant, I made sure all doors were closed, all vents closed, each door has that bottom seal to avoid any smoke passing through.  Better safe then sorry.

Congrats on your preggorsis. As other people said Why risk it? just go to a diff room while he smokes. 

I would imagine that even though shisha lacks many of the dozens of chemical that cigarettes have, the smoke still has nicotine and such which is still bad for your health. I imagine that inhaling nicotine second hand does do damage to a fetus as inhalation of the smoke secondhand means you still intake nicotine into the blood stream which in turn goes to your baby. I would love to say that hookah is safe, but it's not. Edited by Legatus

Well, how much of the nicotine is absorbed in the smokers lungs and how much is exhaled? How much of the smoke exhaled is actually vapors? It's more of the chemicals in cigs that we have to worry about around pregnant women, I'm not sure if the tobacco and nicotine itself is bad (see one of my recent threads about nicotine). Sadly, we just don't know because all the research is done on cigs (with 300+ compounds/chemicals in it). Plus, hookah tobacco contains MUCH less nicotine than cigs IIRC.

My den where I smoke hookah (a huge add-on room to the back of our house) is not connected to the central heat and air, so when my wife does get the news that she is preggo (yes we're trying), I will just be sure to shut the door when I smoke.

yea i wouldn't risk it either, 9 months isn't that long, more then likely thing would be okay if he smoke in the same room, but in that off chance something does happen, a life long self blame isn't worth 9 months of hookah. 

PS congrats

thanks everyone for the congratulations.  Will need to make a separate hookah room after tiny human is born. So another question came up, what about herbals?  Not that is my thing but if that was smoked in the house that gets rid of the nicotine risk but there's still the coals.  We use naturals (coconaras) is there still a lot of CO there? 

Edited by squidget

so, first congratz!! butour  second there was no problems, with our first or second either, erica even smoked during pregnancy not a lot but maybe 30 minutes twice a week in the first two trimesters, and also i spoke with eric about it and he i said if she is smoking tangiers i see no reason it should effect the baby in anyway, "if my wife was pregnant i'd let her smoke" so from experience i see no issue and from the science and idea of history of hookah i say u will no no issue, unless u just dont like the smell and it makes u feel sick, every person is differnece but i see no problem with it. 

Congratulations.  Life is about to get awesome for you.

I'll pass along the same advice my wife and I got when we went to the first time parents class provided by our health care provider.

You can get lots of different advice from lots of different places but no one can predict how toxins will affect your baby.  But if if you do put yourself at risk and your baby is born with some sort of birth defect, you will have to look in the mirror every day and wonder if it was your fault or if it would have happened anyway.

After having a daughter, I can tell you, living with that would be the worst kind of hell I could imagine.

This advice was given to us in reference to alcohol, but in my opinion it applies to smoke (vapor) and anything else that is likely to harm the baby too.