Want To Know Why This Site Doesn't Get Traffic Anymore?

DrSmokes

Adrock has fixed the Google redirect issue!

Do you mind saying what the issue was (if you know)? Hopefully they also looked into how this happened and patched it so it can't happen again. Like I mentioned before, sometimes these guys put a backdoor on the server and that needs to be removed to prevent future edits. Have him contact http://sucuri.net/ to do a sweep of the server. If he's on a shared hosting plan, then this may be an issue with ALL sites on the server and may have even started with another site before it got to hf. If that is the case, he should contact his hosting provider to let them know that one of the sites on his server is insecure and they should deal with that promptly.

Well, for how hands off he is...he probably won't go with it. It will take the site down for a lil while while you convert. Then you have to make sure the usergroup permissions are set up correctly. And I'm not sure if there is a "tinychat" mod for it. There could be. The nice thing about it is he can add you and the other admins to his account so you can get the proper support without him.

Well, we don't currently have any sort of Tinychat mod right now anyway. We just added the tab up top and it's set to direct you to the HookahForum TC page. So that wouldn't really be a problem. But yeah, it all looked and sounded cool to me. I wouldn't mind the wait while it converted. But yeah, it's up to him. I messaged him, so we'll see what he says about it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, we don't currently have any sort of Tinychat mod right now anyway. We just added the tab up top and it's set to direct you to the HookahForum TC page. So that wouldn't really be a problem. But yeah, it all looked and sounded cool to me. I wouldn't mind the wait while it converted. But yeah, it's up to him. I messaged him, so we'll see what he says about it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool! With the size of the site, it shouldn't take more than a few hours. My site is massive (at the time, around 5M posts) and we were down for about a half day. 

Some things for him to consider. Instead of a 6 month renewal for support, which, IIRC, costs around $75/year, xenforo is 1 year renewals at $35. The initial investment is much lower than IPB's...and he could sell his IPB license to practically pay for the xenforo one. On top of that, there are a lot more free modifications for the site on xenforo. IPB's developers charge money for the easiest of things (I got in trouble on IPB bc some guy was selling something for $10 and I gave the community the code to do it themselves, for free, took me, a non-coder, 2 min to do). Xenforo is much lighter weight, so he could probably get a less powerful server and still have the site load faster (so more savings).

I'd suggest you and the other admins go to xf's site, sign up, mess around with it, see if you like the platform before you guys make any sort of leap. Some people don't like and some members probably won't like it, especially if they are use to IPB all these years.

• 1 month later...

Ya I came to post on this exact topic. I haven't been coming here for the last few months because I thought site just went under, as the few times I would google something that linked here, and I would come i would get a spam site (and this ussually happens when a domain name expires).  But then I realized it is just a server side hack.

This shit is still redirecting.....Adrock needs to get off his rocky chair and get his ass moving to fix the site or else you are going to continue to lose all the new visitor traffic, causing stagnation, boredom and the eventual death of the site.

I don't think it's something Adrock CAN fix, though. This same issue is affecting Eric's Tangiers forum as well. I notified them over there but haven't heard back. :/ Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's something native to IPB, then IPS needs to fix it. If it's an addon, then it must be removed. As I mentioned earlier, I think an addon allowed these skiddes to get into the server and then they placed a backdoor into the server so now they can "hack" the site any time they want. 

During this little bit of downtime, was anything figured out?

It really doesn't matter if it is just you or not...you are both using the same software and possibly some of the same plugins. One of you guys need to figure out what is wrong or both of you need to move to a new software platform that doesn't have this problem (i.e. xenforo, vanilla, maybe even phpbb or mybb).

Smokes, you said it was either native to IPB, or an add-on. I was simply restating that again, I don't believe it's just HF. Meaning there's not much we can do on our end, except maybe encourage Adrock to switch to a different platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don't forget V Bulletin

This hack STARTED on vbulletin. Vbulletin is also a dying breed. They were at the top of their game in the 3.x series. It is now in the 5.x series. Jelsoft sold to Internet Brands, and just like almost all the things IB buys up, they destroy. The coding is crap, millions of bugs, the 4.x series wasn't stable for 2 years after it was released. Even the freeboards are more stable than vb. I highly recommend STAYING AWAY from them. If you are into the webmaster scene, you'd know owners are saying the same thing. One of the biggest voices on the scene is Shaun from digitalpoint.com (who converted from vb to xenforo btw).

Smokes, you said it was either native to IPB, or an add-on. I was simply restating that again, I don't believe it's just HF. Meaning there's not much we can do on our end, except maybe encourage Adrock to switch to a different platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, that's why IPS needs to be looking into this and if they find the same thing they found last time, then you guys KNOW you have a back door. What I've been saying is, Tangiers site may not have tried fixing it yet so there is no telling if they have a back door or not (most likely they do), but I think adrock just needs to allow you guys to have more access to fix this since he seems unwilling to.

Quite sad bc the site isn't growing due to this.