Happy New Year!

Rani

Why is this in the serious section?  Let me tell you a story...........

I went to high school with a girl named Gail who was not my closest friend, but was a part of my circle of friends.  Since we weren't all that close, I lost track of her when she moved to Arizona after high school, but I heard about her life.  She married this complete asshole who put her in the hospital more than once, and ended up dropping out of college because there was so much drama and stress brought into her life by her husband and his circle of friends.  Hubby went to jail on a drug charge and Gail found herself a divorce lawyer.  By the time I caught up with her it was in a department store a couple days before Christmas Eve.  She'd remarried a great guy named John who adored her and made her blissfully happy. She'd gone back to school and had becomed licensed to work with disabled and challenged children.   She was shopping for a pair of baby booties to tell him she was expecting their first child.  She couldn't decide on pink or blue, and hated yellow so together we found her some mint green adorable booties and had lunch together in the food court.  When we went our separate ways, we hugged and promised to keep in touch.

The next time I saw Gail was a few weeks later at her funeral.  While riding in the car with her husband, their car was broadsided by a drunk driver.  Neither John, nor Gail and their unborn child survived.  Both families were devastated.  Each had adored the other's child and it was a first grandchild for both families.  The double funeral was attended by nearly our entire class and we were all devastated by the loss.  Both families had gone from complete happiness to horrible tragedy in moments at the hands of a single drunk driver.  The damage was so great it required closed coffins.

So for all you guys who are young on here today, if you're going out tonight to have a good time, great.  But if you're going to be drinking, take a cab both ways to the venue.  That way you don't have to worry if your designated driver had even one, and you can party to your heart's content.  Don't be that guy.  The one who took the future and the happiness from two families as well as all the children Gail would have helped if she'd lived.  The driver survived but spent the rest of his life in prison for vehicular homicide.  His life ruined as well though I have a hard time finding compassion for him.

So have a very Happy New Year's and drink and party as much as you please.  And then call the same cab company who dropped you off to pick you up and take you home so all you have to worry about  tomorrow is a hang over.

'Rani

Sad story, Rani. I hate seeing the news stories where someone was unfortunate to be hit by a drunk driver. I hope everyone was safe last night. Happy New Year!

It was a long time ago.....(I'm old, lol) and I don't often remember it because it's colored my own drinking habits for so long it's now second nature.  But for some reason I had the feeling I needed to post it EVERYWHERE.  Not sure why, but I always trust my instincts.  So I'm going to assume somebody out there needed to hear it.  And now, let's move over to resolutions in chit-chat, 'kay?

'Rani