Another Score For Police Brutality

gakouri

maybe the title is a little over done but seriously.. Two cops shoot two bystanders, and this guy is going to jail for it. What i find funny is how at the end they tazed him into submission. So what happened exactly? they shot two people then reality hit them.. maybe we shouldn't just open fire in time square?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/05/glenn-broadnax-_n_4392046.html

That is baffling to me. I dont give a fuck about the whole police brutality aspect on this one, huge guy thats on drugs and acting crazy putting his hand in his pocket is a legit reason to shoot the man, the fact that they missed cant just be put on him though can it?

i'm surprised no one caught a video of this. maybe they were all confiscated 

LMAO yeah, that's it, in times square they managed to confiscate every cellular device and suppress the video. 

According to the NY Times, Broadnax (at the times the Police arrived on scene) had implied and threatened the cops, saying he had a gun. Now someone tells you that, and quickly reaches into their pants, you tell me you're not going to defend yourself? I will admit, I would have tazered him from the jump but there is an issue with that as well. 

Electro muscular control devices(tazers) normally operates by making all the muscles contract at 1 instant, but in some people it makes the muscles spasm repeatedly and quickly. Now if Broadnax had had a firearm, that could result in his finger repeatedly pulling the trigger sending many bullets flying in many directions, also a less then desirable outcome. Now I am completely sorry that 2 innocent individuals were wounded, but this wasn't "police brutality". A Police fuck up? Hell yes, but brutality? No. And we aren't even getting the full story, as the media never reports it completely. For all we know, the police ordered everyone down and to clear the area, but then, why should anyone listen to a cop.

Not only that, they were trying to shoot a guy who wanted to kill himself seems counter productive and dangerous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've heard of suicide by cop, right?

I agree its not police brutality but still cant be blamed on the guy though. Even if they intended to do the right thing they fucked up horribly.

Actually, the way most criminal statutes are written, you can charge the guy with it. He created the original lethal force situation by telling the cops he had a weapon and wanted to die.  It's just like if 4 gang bangers rob a liquor store(Driver, look out, trigger man and entry partner).  Now the trigger man finishes the robbery by shooting the clerk, wounding him. When they are arrested, all 4 are charged with attempted murder. Even the look out and driver, cause there actions contributed to the act. 

Without the guy jumping out into traffic in the middle of times square, the situation would never have occurred.  

I agree its not police brutality but still cant be blamed on the guy though. Even if they intended to do the right thing they fucked up horribly.

Actually, the way most criminal statutes are written, you can charge the guy with it. He created the original lethal force situation by telling the cops he had a weapon and wanted to die.  It's just like if 4 gang bangers rob a liquor store(Driver, look out, trigger man and entry partner).  Now the trigger man finishes the robbery by shooting the clerk, wounding him. When they are arrested, all 4 are charged with attempted murder. Even the look out and driver, cause there actions contributed to the act. 

Without the guy jumping out into traffic in the middle of times square, the situation would never have occurred.  Those cops would have been on patrol elsewhere.

http://politicalblindspot.com/cop-shoots-kills-college-student-for-speaking-disrespectfully/

Has to be the shiitiest source to use, as it's clear it's not a news site and is more of an "anti-government" blog, but ok, I'll play along. 

Things your link never even mentions,

There is an audio tape recorded by a body mic on the officer,

The suspect began to struggle with the cop once the officer started applying handcuffs.

Confrontation lasted 6 minutes, during which the officer told him 14 times to put his hands behind his back, and told him 3 times he was under arrest.

Redus was told 56  times to stop resisting.

Redus was able to get ahold of the officers baton and began striking him with it.

Oh yeah, REDUS HAD BEEN OUT DRINKING AND BAR HOPPING THAT NIGHT, AS A WITNESS CAME FORWARD TO MENTION. Think we've all seen nice calm people become angry combative drunks.

Now this was a campus cop, not sure what they were issued as far as equipment goes, so I'm personally asking if the department has tazers.

Now, from further research, the officer in question has a history of being confrontational, and this did take place in Texas, so maybe he was going overboard.  

But if you are going to throw a "shit bag cop abusing his power" story out there, how about one that isn't so blatantly ignorant and biased.

ok, tried attaching my source, but "I've entered a link to a website the administrator does not allow links to" . What's wrong with a blog on mysanantonio.com?

I read up on the redus shooting. Redus supposedly hit him once then attempted to charge him before he was shot 5 times. The parents say redus being confrontational was out of his nature yet carter had a rough violent nature. I can safely say even if redus did attack him carter was in the wrong and over exerted himself especially for being a campus cop Sent from my iPhone using [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL]

Redus supposedly hit him once then attempted to charge him before he was shot 5 times. The parents say redus being confrontational was out of his nature yet carter had a rough violent nature. I can safely say even if redus did attack him carter was in the wrong and over exerted himself especially for being a campus cop

You do know that striking someone in, say the temple or back of the skull with a riot baton, is enough to kill them right? That alone equals lethal force. 

I'm in no way saying that the cop isn't a total tool and douche bag, but even by IL law(which is run by bleeding heart liberals who rather empathize with the offender over the victim) that in the letter of the law, he didn't do anything wrong. The issue is if he violated his SOP's for his office(being a campus cop) and being that they are backing him, either there is a lot to this case that isn't being reported, or it really is that open/closed. 

And really, so what if the parents say he was a good person. Every gang banger that gets killed up here around Chicago, first thing out of their parents mouth is

"They were a good kid, they were turning their life around, they wouldn't hurt anyone" Never mind your 13 year old was out with gang bangers at 330 in the morning, carrying a firearm,"

I do look forward to to seeing this case progress or at least more information being released.

He was just a college kid. Gang affiliation none so yes gang bangers parents always say that but something drove these kids to a gang and the parents usually don't know they are in one till it's too late. This kid was just another college kid and maybe he did hit him once but a tazer definitely would have done instead of killing the kid and shooting him 4 extra times for who knows why. Two of the shots were in the facial area and let's not forget his 6th bullet was a stray and could have hurt someone else. Sent from my iPhone using [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL]

He was just a college kid. Gang affiliation none so yes gang bangers parents always say that but something drove these kids to a gang and the parents usually don't know they are in one till it's too late. This kid was just another college kid and maybe he did hit him once but a tazer definitely would have done instead of killing the kid and shooting him 4 extra times for who knows why. Two of the shots were in the facial area and let's not forget his 6th bullet was a stray and could have hurt someone else.

You're missing my point entirely. You said that his parents said being confrontational and aggressive is not in his nature. My point is, what parent is honestly going to call their kid a shit bag to the news media? Hell, even the Boston Marathon Bomber's mom said there is no way her son could have done any of this, that it wasn't in his nature. If you read my previous statement, I also brought up the question of are tazers standard issue equipment for their campus PD. Besides, if we can agree that he struck the officer in the face or head with his baton, that makes him a lethal force suspect. I agree that tazering should be preferable, but in a lethal force scenario, the number of bullets is irrelevant. You fire till the suspect is no longer a threat. And a stray bullet is a possibility in any use of a firearm against a moving target. 

If he struck him in a lethal area he wouldn't have been capable of firing a gun six times now would he? No so we can safely assume his strike wasn't a viable reason to exert lethal force. Sent from my iPhone using [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL]

If he struck him in a lethal area he wouldn't have been capable of firing a gun six times now would he? No so we can safely assume his strike wasn't a viable reason to exert lethal force.

Actually, officers have fired their gun on the edge of consciousness and hit their mark. And once he struck that officer in the head, he became a lethal force suspect. That's why sports are coming down on injuries that result in concussions. Just like Liam Nesson's wife falling and hitting her head on snow, and still insisted nothing was wrong, she died. Head injuries are tricky, and striking someone in the skull with a riot  baton is regarded as a move of last resort, that's why officers often strike the leg/thigh, abdominal area. Striking a subject in the head to just to risky to chance. 

You do know the only reason redus got the weapon was because carter pulled it out to hit redus with first right? Until the officer pulled out handcuffs redus was listening to everything the officer said. Carter I the other hand was good enough to report the wrong street address so the cops not only came from further away but were headed to the wrong place. Had the police actually showed up lethal force never would have been necessary and redus would have still been alive. Sent from my iPhone using [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL]

Actually, officers have fired their gun on the edge of consciousness and hit their mark.

Otherwise known as a "spray and pray."

But yes the title is overstated. And I understand that the cops were overwhelmed with the situation which is the root of the problem. Police are meant to be held at a higher standard than an average citizen. If they aren't trained well enough to handle the situation, then they shouldn't be issued a firearm. Otherwise, give everyone guns and let them protect themselves.