A Bit Ovverated Or Just Me? (No Disrespect Intended)

Yeah, I don't like to smoke too long to be honest. Usually I don't smoke for more than an hour if I am alone. Mizo outlasts me, so endurance has never been a concern for me.

totally agree, I don't understand how people can smoke the same flavor for three hours + if im alone I go maximum two rounds.. if with friends usually 2-3 depending if we are too lazy to repack etc etc.. but yeah nakhla does outlast me as well

From personal experience Tang Cane mint is the best mint i ever smoked. I didnt like WC to much honestly so much so that i gave it away w some other flavors to someone who bought 1 of my hookahs lol for me tang has been hit or miss. I'm now afraid of trying orange soda because of all the negative things i heard from it. but Tang Ololoique aka Root-Beer is absolutely amazing. (when smoked from a harmony lotus combo w 2-3 coals. for Tangiers certain flavors are better to handle with a lotus. Cane mint smokes amazing out of any bowl it is by far the best mint you can buy anywhere. For the weaker tang flavors like Cocoa use a harmony bowl - lotus combo (it will make a huge difference) 

Now that being said not all my tangiers experience was positive old school watermelon was just bad... Also i heard bad things about their tropical fruit flavor. If you want an amazing smoke from tangiers stick to a sure thing. Cane Mint, Ololoqui, Pineapple, Passionfruit, and Cocoa(in a harmony lotus combo only)  the weaker flavors need to be babied a lotus on a harmony bowl could help. Now for those who fear the carbon monoxide intake of the lotus (1 of its few flaws) use it without the top :-) Leave to top on for like 4-5 min till the lotus warms up then take the roof of it off to smoke.  

dude I been wanting a harmony pretty farking bad, I just have too many bowls... 2 smalls 2 picos and a freaking saucer ]=

none taken. each person has their own tastes. For me Tangiers is the ultimate tobacco and I have not smoked any other in several year. :)

do you find yourself trying new flavors, or sticking to a select few? 

I have found over the years that there are three or four tangiers flavors that i will always go back to, and that I am often times leery of trying new flavors.

So when a flavor won't acclimate ... how do you explain that? You change the timing belt on your car, and nothing gets better would be the equivalent ... still drives like shit.

All I am saying is, every flavor should be effortless, I don't believe a superior product should have the issues that Tangiers does. Plain and simple. I enjoy some Tang flavors but by no means would I ever smoke it exclusively. When I fear buying new flavors because of issues such as acclimation ... why would I?

Reliability AND performance are considered when calculating quality IMHO. And frankly both aren't there.

This is so well said. Exactly how I feel.

Then came along CM.. for one small, and absurdly unsatisfying bowl packed by one who is banned from this forum now. The flavor was great. but the intensity of the flavor.. that's what made me hate it. I could literally not take a full puff before coughing; due to my throat being way too cold to stop it. I felt like my lungs were becoming ice. I did not continue to smoke this bowl, and a few days later went home.

​

​

​HAHAHA this was at my house!!!! :) but yah i didn't read the rest of the posts just saw this and LOVED IT :).

I don't consider Tangiers the "end all, be all" hookah tobacco. It has its flaws. But despite those flaws I feel it is worth dealing with enough to smoke it majority of the time.

I'd say I smoke Tangiers 75% of the time, and Nakhla 25% of the time. Don't really bother with other brands, as I've found these two to be supreme to all others. :lol:

It's also overrated in that EVERY. SINGLE. OTHER. MU'ASSAL. COMPANY. IN THE FUCKING WORLD! manages to get their product (such as it may be) to smoke fine under many circumstances. Tangiers is the ONLY ONE that requires the stars to align and the Messiah to return to earth for it to smoke right, and I see that as a huge, intrinsic, and fundamental flaw. If some dude in a village in Jordan or Egypt can do it, then why can't Tangiers?

:thewave:

Jesus Christ, this is exactly what I've felt for several years. I shouldn't have to put so much work into smoking a bowl, it's supposed to be a relaxing, social event. I shouldn't have to worry if I allowed the tobacco to get enough air before packing a bowl.

By the way, I will also say that under most circumstances I don't want a bowl to last more than two rounds of coals. I never feel like smoking that long, and the only time I smoke Tangiers and it ISN'T wasted is when there's a party and people will smoke for hours. If it's just me, or a friend and me, then I feel like I'm wasting the tobacco. Fortunately the Kasbah funnels are small enough that it's not that much of a waste.

So when a flavor won't acclimate ... how do you explain that? You change the timing belt on your car, and nothing gets better would be the equivalent ... still drives like shit.

All I am saying is, every flavor should be effortless, I don't believe a superior product should have the issues that Tangiers does. Plain and simple. I enjoy some Tang flavors but by no means would I ever smoke it exclusively. When I fear buying new flavors because of issues such as acclimation ... why would I?

Reliability AND performance are considered when calculating quality IMHO. And frankly both aren't there.

Come to my house and get tropical punch and other various flavors I've had over the years to acclimate and I will say uncle :-)

that basically sums it up

Wading in.......... So to me it's like this.  I've never had a single problem with any flavor of Tangier's.  Ever.  No stars had to align, no magic wand, no nothing.  Squish it around a bit before opening, dump it in a container, stir it around after opening, fill a bowl when ready, smoke.  So, am I just lucky?  Maybe.  I do live in the same climate region so acclimation isn't an issue, but then again we're actually supposed to acclimate almost all unwashed tobaccos to get the best flavor.  That's always been the general rule, so why has it suddenly changed?  And if it has changed, maybe we should be asking ourselves why.  Wheat got easier to grow because they mutated it.  Canned food started lasting longer because they added BHA to it.  Are these other brands more stable because they've added crap we really con't want to be smoking?  Could be, 'cuz they've certainly mucked around with almost everything else we inhale or eat or drink.  High frutose corn syrup, really?  People who love Tangiers rave about Tangiers.  People who love Naklhla rave about Nakhla.  I wouldn't say either of them were overrated.  Although the people who rave about Starbuzz are clearly crazy.  Just kidding.  If you love something, buy it.  If you don't, don't.  If it works for you, great, if not, smoke something else.   But do try and remember it's all a matter of taste and it very well could be that your particular heat management, bowls, etc are not conducive to a particular brand or flavor.  Eric has long said that women have almost no problem with Tangiers and getting it smoke right, because women have a tendency to read directions while men tend to just skim them if they bother to read them at all.    Sometimes it really is us and not the product.   Maybe but either way, nothing is actually overrated or underrated.  It's all subjective to what works for you.  

'Rani

It hasn't changed, you just don't HAVE TO acclimate other brands. With Tang if it is unacclimated ... good luck.

I do find Nakhla always tastes better when you air it out a bit, but it still tastes damn good if you don't.

From my understanding nakhla adds di-propylene glycol to help the tobacco stay stable which has an extremely low toxicity and is used in many different products. Snus uses propylene glycol.

If I remember correctly the molasses has something to do with needed acclimation. I could be way off on that but I believe I was told birquq requires less if any acclimation at all because it uses a different base, not molasses (could be way off on that too) lol.

It just sucks because it seems all of those who have no acclimation issues seem to not TRULY believe the people who claim to have acclimation issues. My nose works just fine, I am not smoking anything that smells like acetone or is so appalling I don't want to ever open the container to do the "sniff test".

If the weather and surrounding environment effects the tobacco, every single environment is different in every single home. I buy k peach and a handful of others pretty regularly, by no means do I or would ever bad mouth the product. I just give my honest experience, and that honest experience consists of quite a few dud flavors that never smelt or smoked properly.

As stated previously, 2 out of the 5 flavors I just bought a month back won't acclimate. Blackberry mainly smells like tobacco and trop punch is bad. K peach, k guava, and melon blend were all perfect.

I will say actual molasses is a very tricky sweetener.  My grandmother was a pastry chef who made cookies and candies at Christmas for everybody.  People waited for those boxes to show up.  Anyway, she had some recipes that called for molasses and she wouldn't make them when the humidity was over a certain amount.  Also, molasses adds flavor.  I've personally never been certain why he would choose something that adds flavor, but I'm neither the manufacturer nor a certified tobacco chef, and I can never actually taste it, soooo...........But you're correct Birqurq does have a different sweetener.  Thinking back about molasses and my grandmother's recipes, makes me think that perhaps the flavors some people have trouble with are the ones that depend more on the flavoring aspect of molasses?  Hmmm, interesting......  Anyway, still I wouldn't say any brand is either over or under rated.  It is or is not simply something that does or doesn't work for you.

'Rani .

I will say actual molasses is a very tricky sweetener.  My grandmother was a pastry chef who made cookies and candies at Christmas for everybody.  People waited for those boxes to show up.  Anyway, she had some recipes that called for molasses and she wouldn't make them when the humidity was over a certain amount.  Also, molasses adds flavor.  I've personally never been certain why he would choose something that adds flavor, but I'm neither the manufacturer nor a certified tobacco chef, and I can never actually taste it, soooo...........But you're correct Birqurq does have a different sweetener.  Thinking back about molasses and my grandmother's recipes, makes me think that perhaps the flavors some people have trouble with are the ones that depend more on the flavoring aspect of molasses?  Hmmm, interesting......  Anyway, still I wouldn't say any brand is either over or under rated.  It is or is not simply something that does or doesn't work for you.

'Rani .

That is interesting. Sadly, I wouldn't know heh.

For sure!

John, I've always found the Kashmir flavors to be good to go right out of the bag, regardless of the fruit it's paired with. It's one of his more solid, dependable flavor types.

I don't know. I don't feel like Tangiers is overrated. I think it's a hassle to get because whenever I want to order the flavors I want are out of stock. I used to smoke AF all the time because that's what I got locally. Now I smoke Nak exclusively. I like the price and I like the flavors. I also like the kick it has. Whenever I've had Tangiers I've had no problems acclimating it. I live in AZ so that might be why. I agree with others. Just stick to what works for you.

I personally like Starbuzz and Fumari and many ppl like to bash on Starbuzz based on the price, candy taste and marketing on the forums. I do like Tangiers Horchata but not so much the other flavors. When it comes to shisha I tend to think of it like soda, to each his/her own. Like food its subjective.

I personally like Starbuzz and Fumari and many ppl like to bash on Starbuzz based on the price, candy taste and marketing on the forums. I do like Tangiers Horchata but not so much the other flavors. When it comes to shisha I tend to think of it like soda, to each his/her own. Like food its subjective.

I also do enjoy a select few starbuzz. I feel like tangiers is a hassle when you just wanna chillout smoke a bowl.. 1 small mistake and the WHOLE BOWL GOES TO SHITS

I also do enjoy a select few starbuzz. I feel like tangiers is a hassle when you just wanna chillout smoke a bowl.. 1 small mistake and the WHOLE BOWL GOES TO SHITS

Exactly and when you have company over, having to repack the bowl is embarrassing, if your drinking baby sitting the bowl is annoying. 

And idk if anyone else has this problem, but when you have 3-5 people smoking on the same tang bowl, the bowl doesn't really get much rest and gets hot as hell and starts to burn shortly into a good session. 

Its nak, af, fumari, fantashia, afzal, desi murli i can abuse the shit out of them and still have an excellent session. 

Exactly and when you have company over, having to repack the bowl is embarrassing, if your drinking baby sitting the bowl is annoying. 

And idk if anyone else has this problem, but when you have 3-5 people smoking on the same tang bowl, the bowl doesn't really get much rest and gets hot as hell and starts to burn shortly into a good session. 

Its nak, af, fumari, fantashia, afzal, desi murli i can abuse the shit out of them and still have an excellent session. 

I only smoke when I have friends over, and I have noticed this for sure. Even if it has the perfect heat on it, people don't want to wait to hit it when they get the hose.

And if you use less heat so it doesn't happen, the clouds and flavor decrease dramatically.

Maybe Japanese coals would fix the issue, but I am not spending that kind of money on coals, I just won't.