The Definitive Music For Smoking Hookah Thread!

Vangeloff

[quote name='JByer323'][quote name='surfpico'] Country music.<br><br>Texas country music  
specifically.<br><br>Oh, and Billy Joel, of course.<br>[/quote]

...so are you single, babe? Because I'll fight Tangiers for you in a
heartbeat. [/quote]Well, I hate to say it JByer - but I think the time has come for me to cut loose from the shackles of Tangiers sweet lovin'...

It's time to get back to the basics of love.

Care to meet me in Luchenback, Texas with Waylon and Willie and the boys?

[quote name='surfpico'] Well, I hate to say it JByer - but I think the time has come for me to  cut loose from the shackles of Tangiers sweet lovin'...<br>  It's time to get back to the basics of love.<br>  Care to meet me in Luchenback, Texas with Waylon and Willie and  the boys?    [/quote] Well, I'm picking up a friend from whatever military base is in TX sometime during the summer. Apparently he's now a lethal weapon, property of the U.S. Government.You provide the hookah, and I'll treat ya to some BBQ and a few shots of Jack.

Thumbs up on the Umm Kulthoum suggestion...wonderful stuff.I'll sometimes turn on the shortwave and dial around until I get something I like in an Arabic vein. Can take a while, and if the conditions are bad, things don't sound so good or come in at all. Then I resort to the iMac full of MP3s, stuck on random play. Lots of ambient, classical, various techno and other electronic things in there along with a few surprises to keep it all mixed up nicely.Sometimes, also, when I'm working on my own music I'll drag the machine into the studio and drop a coal or two on while working. There's a couple of tracks on the latest deep ambient thing I did that were cut while smoking a well-loaded bowl at the mixing desk. Can get a little tricky with the fire and water and so forth in amongst all of the electronics, but sometimes it's what makes a sound work.

The normal stuff usually, but I find Thievery Corporation especially to be good at being background music, but still interesting enough to listen to. A lof of it sounds eastern mixed with some beats so it blends well with any mood. Anything mellow works.

I would go with Um Kalthum (classic arabic).  Her voice, the meanings of the words.  Not many people in my generation still listen to her but she is still the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be.
Mint Tea, Um Kalthoum on TV, Fakher Bahraini Apple  and a good old card game going on is my idea of the perfect shisha session.

The only thing I'll listen to while smoking is an ambient Icelandic band, Sigur Rós. They're the chillest band I've ever heard and really put off a good hookah vibe. If you haven't heard of them and are interested, find any of the following songs:
Untitled #4 / Njósnavélin / The Nothing Song (same song, diff. names)
Andvari
Untitled #5
Untitled #6
Starálfur
Heysátan

Enjoy :) I think there's a few of their songs for download on the site, [url="http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk"]www.sigur-ros.co.uk[/url] if you don't have limewire or something / don't feel like paying just to try

[quote name='DrunkenWizard']Insane Clown Posse or Kottonmouth Kings are my favorites.[/quote]
guhhh, Juggalo trash...

Usually when i smoke I have the TV on and talk with my friends over
that, nobody watches whats on, its just backround noise. 
Occasionally I'll play some nice chill-out music  Gorillaz,
Matisyahu (hasidic jew rapper, who wouldve thunk it?),  RHCP,
recently im really digging George Clinton and Parliament Funk, 
I'm a huge Dead Kennedys fan, but thats not great hookah music.

Lukasa, what is your problem???  You are a hater.  First you call me a terrible poster for making a joke and now saying I'm juggalo trash.  You don't even know me son.  No one is arguing on what music is good or bad, we're just saying what we like to listen to while we smoke.  Like Steve07 said, listen to what makes you happy.

Now now let's place nice people The music you listen to should make you happy. Heck i've been known to slap in some NIN or Tool when that is my mood.

• 1 year later...
QUOTE (The Pope @ Apr 29 2006, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hendrix, Trower, Satch, Hellecasters, Pantera, Tool, Deftones, Rage
Against the Machine, Queens of the Stone Age, Alice in Chains, Bob
Marley, Gorillaz, Massive Attack, lots of other stuff.

My musical tastes are very diverse, but very specific. It has to be
good music. Hookah tends to enhance whatever mood I was already in, so
the music I'm listening to when I smoke can be a lot of things.

Deftones FTW! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (DrunkenWizard @ May 11 2006, 05:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like Steve07 said, listen to what makes you happy.

+1

-i may not agree with what you listen to, but i will defend to the death your right to jam to it-
smile.gif

anyone spin records when they smoke? i spin tribal house and it's real chill how i do it. i'll set the hookah up on the ground to the right of my tables and put my long mya hose tip in my pocket when i'm spinning and when i get a chance, i'll take some puffs. super-chill. most people like to just sit down and relax, but sometimes, i like to be up and doin' stuff like making a sandwich or spinning records, etc. iono, maybe i'm weird. lol

I am an old timer so I love The Who. Rush, AC/DC, Van Halen....you get the point. I love some of the 80's big hair bands too. Maybe because thats what I did for a living in the 80's, play in a Band. It was great to jam in front of big crowds. Oh yes and of course Pink Floyd for those times one likes to sit back and chill...................... Edited by Snoopy1966

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bAN7Ts0xBo
since i dont have the audio of that

i will throw on some nikkfurie- al a menthe or some punjabi mc (mundian to bach) if im in the mood for some crazy foreign music Edited by thecoalition