Gop Is Killing Their Own Party

Chreees

as soon as we are able we are getting off SSI.... problem is, do you know how hard it is for a blind woman to find a job? It aint easy I tell ya. SSI is suspended when my wife has a job. Which the longest to date has been 1 year.

She actually heard in one interview, "Your Earlyhood Children Intervention Credentials are great, but I think the parents would be afraid you might step on their babies." (2 kids never stepped on our own) unfortunately without proof there was no case. The interviewer was fired months later after we filed complaints.... but still that's what my wife deals with on a daily basis.

Stuie, imo, you are the ones that things like SSI and medicaid are intended for. You are actively trying to better yourselves. The ones abusing the system are the ones that are happy to have 3-5 "baby-daddies" and happy to collect their welfare check. Those people aren't trying to better themselves at all.

Stuie, imo, you are the ones that things like SSI and medicaid are intended for. You are actively trying to better yourselves. The ones abusing the system are the ones that are happy to have 3-5 "baby-daddies" and happy to collect their welfare check. Those people aren't trying to better themselves at all.

Absolutely!  I know it might seem hard to believe, but I'm not attacking Stuie or his wife personally.  It's not about someone who actually needs that safety net.  It's about a general attitude so many people have developed.  I do know it's really hard to hear some things (especially when someone like me is using you as the example) and not take them personally.  Heck, most of us take a lot of things personally.  And I certainly don't want anyone to reject assistance they need just so they can stand on a principle they shouldn't have to stand on.  Those safety nets were put in place for a reason.  My biggest point is not that we need to stop the safety nets, but that we need to change the attitude of some of the people using them.  Solve the problem, don't short circuit a temporary if necessary solution just because you haven't found the real one.  

Stuie, anyone with any kind of physical or mental challenge walks a razor's edge.  They want to be "normal".  (Stupid word, normal.  Really it just means average.)  So a lot of time they try to work within an environment that isn't built for them and doesn't want to recognize them.  My suggestion for those like your wife is to offer to be an unpaid intern if at all possible.  Yeah, I know, tough to do without paying for childcare.  But if you can find a way to swing it, consider it.  The key to getting that foot in the door is that you offer your services for a limited period, say 90 days, at which time they can either negotiate to hire you, or give you an honest appraisal of your work and a recommendation.  At the very least she walks away with an honest evaluation of her skills and what she needs to improve on, and at best she gets a job AND stronger negotiating power on salary because she's proven herself.  Although I'll sit still for a slap from you for using you and your family as an example, I hope you know I want only the best for you and your family.  Especially all that strength and independence.

'Rani

Stuie, imo, you are the ones that things like SSI and medicaid are intended for. You are actively trying to better yourselves. The ones abusing the system are the ones that are happy to have 3-5 "baby-daddies" and happy to collect their welfare check. Those people aren't trying to better themselves at all. Agreed. Best of luck to you and your wife, Stuie. You're using it responsibly. My wife and I were on food stamps for a short period of time, but I immediately told them I no longer needed it once I got a job. That's how it should be used. We definitely need to have reform in more than just insurance/healthcare.