So I Think I Might Be Craving Hookah

Hello, as you can probably tell this is my first post on the forum. I recently began smoking hookah after being introduced to it at a convention in Pittsburgh and ended up discovering that I very much enjoy it.  Originally when I came back to the convention and started researching up on getting my own hookah, I was very worried about the health aspects regarding the hookah, and ended up doing a lot of research on it and coming to the conclusion most of the papers on it are just scare tactics by people who haven't taken the time to research how hookahs actually work. So I ended up getting a hookah, and have had it for about three weeks. My hookah schedule has been rather inconsistent, and many times I have just not set up the hookah for the fact that I'm too distracted by other things to bother with it. However, yesterday and today have been rather strange. I was chatting on an IRC room and for reasons of which aren't very relevant, ended up getting extremely annoyed at someone. Upon getting very annoyed I noticed I had an extremely strong urge to smoke hookah. Originally I had thought that it was just my mind immediately bringing up the hookah because I wanted a way to calm myself down, and after about 10 or 20 minutes the craving went away for the most part, but I have still been unable to get hookah off the mind, I've gotten rather distracted by the feeling of wanting to smoke and have also gotten somewhat restless. I haven't been able to smoke it recently because my only flavors that I have available taste like dish soap or fruity pebbles, and although I could just go out to the store and buy some more I don't want to do so until I've figured out what's going on with myself.

What's rather strange about this is the fact that this is for the most part, very sudden. Originally I'd think about hookah every so often during my work day, but I never had any actual cravings for it, which is why I'm really questioning why these past two days I've had a craving to smoke hookah constantly. It very well could be a mental addiction, or it might just be my anxiety playing tricks on me so that I worry about it more and cause a placebo addiction.

I've been doing research for a couple hours now to find what I can scrape off the internet, but almost all the information regarding nicotine addiction that's at all reliable is centered around cigarettes, and as I mentioned before the vast majority of the information regarding hookahs is pretty unreliable. So I figured my best bet was to come to a place like here and ask what you guys think it is. I'm hoping there's a logical explanation to this that isn't just plain addiction, because I honestly do love hookah and although I could switch to herbal shisha or some other alternatives, I enjoy the relaxing feeling that nicotine can bring from tobacco and I feel like that's a huge part of what makes the hookah so enjoyable to begin with. So what do you guys think?

there could be many reasons. I always bite my nails when i am waiting for something. When i don't do it, i crave to do it. 

It could also just simply be a plain nicotine addiction. Try getting nicotine from some where else besides your hookah and see if the craving goes away. 

oh that dopamine. 

Have you smoked any tobacco before getting the hookah and had the craving? I don't get agitated if I don't smoke, but I do smoke a few times a week. I wouldn't want to get my nicotine fix from anything else just simply because I don't want to smoke cigarettes. You seem very health conscious and it doesn't seem like that's an option for you either. To me this sounds like you're craving nicotine.

Simple answer, your thinking too much into it. I can tell your an anxious person, as am I, and I also spent time researching every little thing under the sun to diagnose problems about myself that didn't seem right. Mostly in relationship areas. But anyways. That's not a nicotine withdrawal as that is physical and mental, and you would definitely know the physical effects. I just think you really want to smoke and that it is no real addiction, all up in your mind. Also I've given up caring what really is good and not good for your health (besides blatant obvious things) and just living my life happily.

Something I just realized that hadn't crossed my mind before was the fact that the night I did hookah before this happened I had also smoked a cigar, and I actually do seem to recall getting similar cravings in the past after smoking cigars, but I never really gave much thought to it because at that age I couldn't really get my hands on any more if I wanted to. It was only one cigar, but it does make me wonder since this hasn't happened before.

And KnightHawk, you're very right, I am an extremely anxious person xD, and always have been.

Smoking is one of those vices in life that you need to use moderation with or else it will become a problem (personal opinion). I personally enjoy smoking period, but I only truly enjoy hookah.

Edited by KnightHawk63

Hookah is definitely not physically addictive, so it is certainly all in your head. I have gone weeks without hookah when I'm simply too busy to smoke, and didn't ever crave it. Then again, everyone's different...

Yea NightHawk Is right Hookah is best enjoyed in moderation. Also Nothing wrong with being anxious im also the very anxious / hyperactive type and im Old lol So what kind of hookah did you buy and what are your favorite flavors? also if you never smoked Tangiers, smoke that and you're mind will be blown! 

i dont think nicotine is addictive, idk i think its the other shit combined with nicotine that is addictive. i never "crave or need to have" hookah or nicotine, yes i enjoy what comes along with it sitting relaxing watching something or talking to my fiance or friends. but i usually dont smoke between sun-thurs and i  use to smoke everyday, but now with the baby and new work schedule its hard.  but i think its all mental. because when my fiance gets home she wants a hookah, i think its just because she likes smoke, which she has said. but we got days weeks with out hookah or anything and we are both fine. so craving is more you got nothing else on ur mind or going on to distract you.

i used to go to school thinking about video games and what iwas gonna do when i got home from school but once u are side tracked mentally you dont get to think about it again loosing the thought about it and not "craving" it

First off, welcome to the forum! We have a great community here and you will find quickly (if you already haven't) that people here are very willing to offer their help :)

Hope you had a great time in Pittsburgh, I know I did when I went last year. Especially the hookah circles, live those at conventions ^_^ If you are in CT this October I know a few people bringing their hookahs (including me).

As for your question, it could be many things (as people have already stated). Addiction can happen in a variety of ways and each person can experience it different. I have never had a problem with nicotine, but i know others who take to it easily. Though it could simply be oral, or even just a love of smoking. Ever have cravings for a specific food? Doesn't mean you are addicted to that food necessarily, but something in you just wants it (Reese's O__O)

I'm frankly surprised that so many people here think nicotine's not addictive. It absolutely is! Like any other alkaloid that acts on the mesolimbic pathway, it's a dopaminergic stimulator.

As for hookah, it generally has less nicotine in the vapor compared to combusted tobacco inhalation, but it's still there.

EDIT: For your reading pleasure: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine#Dependence_and_withdrawal

Edited by SultanOfSchwing

Yeah I got into an argument with guys over on another forum a while back, eh hem. Just because people aren't addicted to hookah doesn't mean nicotine in and of itself is not addictive. I think it just means cigarettes and other tobacco products are hosed with so much shit it makes it extremely addictive. Nicotine ALONE is much LESS addictive. But look at snus users, it is one of the purest tobacco sources you can use, and majority of snus users are extremely hooked, usually have a lip in ALL DAY!

Nicotine IS addictive, how addictive? IMO not very addictive. How addictive is it when other stuff is added to it to enhance absorption etc, VERY ADDICTIVE!

That's my opinion on it.

How addictive is it when other stuff is added to it to enhance absorption etc, VERY ADDICTIVE!

Exactly. That was kind of my point by mentioning the fact that it's a lot less prevalent in hookah smoke/vapor, and mu'assel manufacturers don't use the kinds of additives that cigarette companies and the like use.

That said, you definitely do develop a tolerance. The first time I smoked two Tangiers bowls back to back I got so buzzed I nearly puked. Now, I can go through two or three in a row with just a light buzz. It's ruining the unwashed stuff for me now; I just don't get the satisfaction from a delicious bowl of Fumari that I used to.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like after a while it actually went away completely. I've been smoking hookah on and off for a while and it hasn't come back at all. I'm not entirely sure what that craving was, but it's definitely not here now.

For me it's the association of hookah with winding down the day watching a movie or some tv along with a hookah.   When I'm just sitting here dilly dallying and the day is ending I start thinking about hookah.  If was occupied with something else or out of the house it doesn't cross my mind.

For me it's the association of hookah with winding down the day watching a movie or some tv along with a hookah.   When I'm just sitting here dilly dallying and the day is ending I start thinking about hookah.  If was occupied with something else or out of the house it doesn't cross my mind.

That's exactly how hookah is for me too, I just ran out of coals and got laid off though so I guess I'm taking a break =/