Hearing Air From The Bowl

I've been smoking hookah for years/worked at a hookah bar for awhile before but just recently decided to buy my own to save money. I have a medium 3 hose hookah but mainly been only using 1 of the hose grommels. It came with a vortex bowl which fits perfectly on it. I then bought an Egyptian bowl that doesn't fit on the stem and it gave a little more smoke. The other two valves are not intaking air and when I cover the bowl with my hand there is no air intake what so ever. My problem is that when I take light pulls I only hear the bubbles, but when I take heavy pulls I hear air at the top more than the bubbles. I am getting about 3/5-4/5 of the smoke I feel like I should be getting, which is good but not great. I'm confused if it is not getting enough air, or getting too much air. I sprinkle the Starbuzz into the Egyptian bowl, lightly pack it, put the tin foul tightly over it, poke holes with a toothpick all the way to the bottom of the bowl, suck through the bottom to feel the air coming through the top, and then put a quick light coal on one of the sides. It feels like the air flow is restricted and that I have to pull more to get the same amount of smoke. I believe the culprit is the top of the hookah as that's the only place that I hear and/or feel the air coming from. I have not tried anything with the hose yet as it came with the hookah and same result with all 3 hoses. Al Fakher gave me less smoke than the Starbuzz but it could just be the same problem.

I Google imaged a similar hookah to mine, same layout(minus the stem/vase design), same hose, and 3 instead of 1 hose grommel. I can try to upload a picture of mine if needed.

Any help will be appreciated.

Yeah air through the bowl is normal, especially if you're taking a harder pull. If you're pulling harder, there is more air going through, and a louder noise from the bowl!

Instead of sucking on the bottom of the bowl after poking holes, try blowing into it instead. this will clear the holes in the bowl giving you better airflow. It sounds like You're doing everything right though, maybe try a little less tobacco or a little more. It's been years since I've smoked starbuzz, but al fakher should give you decent smoke.

This is NOT an uncommon question. We go through this often enough at my local lounge. The heavy pull is pulling the air harder through the little holes in the foil so it SOUNDS like an air leak somewhere around the head grommet. So, if you are sure the head is sealing properly, then ya, it's normal. Hows the smoke session?