Coco Ultimate Coconut Coals

mushrat

ive used coconaras chronics leonaras and cocojamras.. personally ive found coco ultimates to be the best coal for the money 

they ash very little like the more expensive coals but are way cheaper , you can get 3 boxes for 27 dollars. coconaras and chronics are about 28-30 for 2 boxes 

the heat is good and they last a good 45-50 mins like most other coals, they smell like campfire when lighting so i wouldn't light inside.. and I've had a few that cracked apart but not very often 

overall they are my go to coals 

9/10 

COCO ULTIMATES

OK so I have gone through about 20 of these so far. I normally use CH or Coconara coals.

These surprised me.

Light Time: They take the same amount of time to light on my heater as CH and Coconara take, they take 8 min on one side, then 1-2 min on the other side.

Smell When Lighting: Coconaras have pretty much no smell, CH is variable, some smell meh and some smell like ass. These are in between, I personally think they smell better than CH but not as good as coconara from what I can remember about Coconara. Despite that, they don't smell unpleasant by any means.

Ash: This is one of the areas these coals really strive IMHO, they ash a good color, have very little ash, and they stick to the coals just enough to not fall into the bowl, but come off extremely easily with a drop in the tray or a blow on them. CH sometimes stick a bit too much, and coconara very similar to CH.

Cracking: I have read in older reviews that they crack too easily. I wouldn't say I am rough with my coals but I don't hug them either :-). I take them out of the box, put them on the heater, flip em, then sit em on the bowl. So far I have had none crack.

Density: They are slightly less dense than CH and Coconara so they are easier to crack with a knife, almost effortless with a little score before cracking them.

Burn Time: When I could tell how they were less dense I was nervous about the burn time, but they surprised me, they are comparable to CH and coconara. Half coals last about 50 minutes, and whole coals last a little bit over an hour. Even longer than a little over an hour depending on if you still puff on your bowl when the clouds become small.

Heat: Once again comparable to the rest, I say they give the same heat as CH, where as coconara gives out a little more heat.

Price: For single boxes, they are the best price out there, but you can get other coconut coals cheaper in bulk.

Size: Mostly uniform, some smaller than others but not an issue.

Cons: Aren't as dense as CH/Coconara, but doesn't seem to effect burn time or cracking issues. The pro of the less dense coal is if you prefer to crack them it is pretty easy to do so with a knife.

Conclusion: Considering price, the ease of cracking them (I like to use halves on my new tang small and my tang mini's) burn time, ash, and smell all being comparable or better than other brands I don't see why more people don't use these. Just considering apples to apples and not considering price these get a 9.25/10 from me so far, with coconaras edging them slightly. If you consider the price of these vs other brands they deserve a 9.5/10 They can be had for $9-10 a box while other coals are $12-15 a box unless bought in bulk or as an add on item.

If they were a tad bit denser to allow them to get another maybe 10 minutes of solid burn time, they would be the perfect coal and get a 10/10.

(All tests were done using Nakhla so burn time may vary depending on the heat your tobacco requires)

This is my initial review, I will go through a few boxes and do an update if I feel any differently about them.

• 2 weeks later...

coco ultimates

HAVE GONE THRU A COUPLE OF BOWLS WITH THESE AND THEIR AWESOME. JUST AS GOOD AS MY CCN. 

LIGHT TIME: 5 OR 6 MINUTES ON ONE SIDE AND 4 OR 5 ON THE OTHER. 

SMELL WHEN LIGHTING: LIKE YOUR RUN OF THE MILL COCO COALS. LIKE CAMPFIRE. 

ASH: TO ME THEY ASH ALOT THATS JUST MY OPINION BUT THE ASH IS A GREY COLOR ALMOST LIKE PEPER. FINE ASH. 

CRAKING: NONE HAVE CRACKED SO FAR ON ME. JUST WHEN THEY GET SMALLER AND I ASH EM SOME WILL BREAK INTO TINY PIECES

DENSITY: SEEM LIGHTER THEN OTHER COALS BUT DOESNT SEEM TO AFFECT HOW LONG THEY LAST. STILL GET OVER A HOUR ON A ROUND OF COALS. 

HEAT: MM I WOULD SAY SAME AS OTHER COALS. MAYBE EVEN A BIT COOLER THAN CCN. 

WHERE DID I BUY: FROM GOOD OLD MATTER MERCHANDISING . (THANKS AGAIN JOHN) 

CONS: I DONT REALLY SEE ANY CONS TO THESE COALS. 

PRICE; WAY CHEAPER THEN I WOULD GET FROM MY LOCAL SHOP OR FROM A WEBSITE. SO GREAT PRICE. 

CONCLUSION: GOOD COALS. LOVE CCN BUT THESE WILL BE MY GO TO COALS CONSIDERING THE PRICE OF A SINGLE BOX. 8/10 IN MY BOOK

Coco Ultimates

I'll be comparing these to CCN, since CCN's are what I use on a daily basis. I had 4 rounds (total of 8 coals) in this session.

• Density: These are somewhat less dense than Coconaras but hardly noticeable.
  • Shape and Size: I'm not really a stickler on sizes and shapes of my coals but these are fairly inconsistent. These were noticeably smaller than CCN. The corners were rounded off and not cut straight. It looked like they were beaten up and packaged. 
  • Light time: Was comparable to Coconaras. Took about 6-8 minutes to light on my coil burner.
  • Lighting Smell: I'm not sure if I was hallucinating, but I heard some popping and crackling as they first lit. It was very faint but I concerned me because I thought i also smelt an accelerant similar to QL coals. This was the first set of coals and I hadn't noticed any sounds after the first two but I still smelt that QL-ish smell. It was faint but I could notice it under the campfire smell.
  • Ash: The ash doesn't stick to the coal as much as CCN does. Thats not much of a concern for me, because it didn't affect longevity. They ash just as little as CCN which I was glad to see because I hate too much ash on my bowl.
  • Burn Time: I experienced a consistent 25 minutes from the first time I put on the coals before needing flipping and rotating. After the first flip I smoke until they're just about out and that was at a total of 45-50 minutes, consistently. I didn't use a wind cover and a ceiling fan was moving air around my living room.
  • Cracking: I wasn't really expecting these to crack or break even after reading they sometimes do. The very first round one of my coals broke into 3 pieces after ashing it. This was the only one in this session.
  • Heat: I was smoking OG Nakhla Sweet Melon to test how much heat these put out. They're not as hot as CCN, but I still have yet to find a coal that is. Super hot coals aren't always the best. I actually prefer the heat level that these generate. I found it was perfect for my Nakhla and I didn't have to adjust my coal positions very much at all.

Conclusion: I like these coals. They last long, produce plenty of heat, and don't ash like crazy. Those are all the things I really look for in a coal. The sizes and shape inconsistencies are tolerable. Considering the price of $10 compared to CCN's $15, do I really see a $5 difference that I find worth paying for the extra coin for CCN? No. Are these perfect? No, but if there is a 33% price difference there better be a 33% increase in longevity or quality. I don't see either in CCN and therefore I can't justify the price difference. I'll give these coals an 8.5 out of 10. The smell and sizing are what hold this coal back from being top notch. 

• 6 months later...

I must say, the new batches of coco ultimates I have received are even better than my review before.

They are much more solid, and have almost no smell when lighting. So far I am thoroughly impressed with the new batch and are actually giving CCN a run for their money.

Has anyone tried a recent box?

I've been using one of the boxes you sent me John. I think these things STINK! Smells like a bon fire. They seem to cut much easier than CocoNaras and CocoRazans. But it seems the heat is much less than CCN's or CCR's. And they seem to burn out quicker. I personally prefer the Razan's over these. For the price, I'd pick these over CCN's. But they are the same price for the Razans so I'll likely be buying the Razans from now on unless my next box burns differently than the current on.

Really? I don't find mine to smell much. Bon fire isn't a bad smell (I mean you are still lighting charcoal), ass chemicals is not lol.

I think CCN smell just like these do.

As for lasting ... I get just over an hour out of these, that's pretty much what CCN does. BUT, I do cut them in halves. Say for a small/smedium, I will cut like 7 halves and light them all, throw 4 on, then 10 min later add another with windcover that lasts another 30 min, then I add the last few halves on. It may seem like you are wasting the coal that isn't on the bowl but i end up using a total of like 3.5 coals and with holes I seem to burn through more and get less in terms of length and smoke output.

Anywhoo ... I find them to be right on with CCN give or take when considering price, they just cut a tad easier which I prefer for cracking purposes..

I've never tried Razans.

I appreciate the input.