Next Vehicle Will Be An Import

KnightHawk63

Right so far I've had a Oldsmobile Alero coupe as my first car, then I bought my own 2003 Mustang GT with the 4.6L V8 and 4 speed auto tranny which ended up crapping out and I needed to rebuild. So I did that then got my 2002 Mustang GT with the 4.6L V8 and a 5 speed stick (which I LOVE so much), I am never going back to automatic, ever. I'm currently paying off the 2002 and gave my dad the 2003 since he wanted a Mustang, he co-signed for my loan for the 2002. Figured it was a good trade off. Well this car will be in my possession for about 2 years in November, another year of paying after that. I know I want an import next, I am a gearhead even though I don't have much funds to push towards parts, but my 02' is far from stock. I'm pushing a good 290-300 HP at the crank compared to the stock 260 HP at the crank. Remember that's not RWHP, just crank HP. I'm really looking into used 2010/11/12 Hyundai Genesis Coupe's with either the 2.0 turbo R-Spec edition at 250 HP or the 3.6L V6 that pushes a good 350 HP. It's sleek and I love the look plus the performance is amazing, would treat my 02 GT like a piece of trash on the track. Also I'm looking at the Mazda RX8, my only turn-off is the rotary engine since I'm not sure if there are mechanics around here that really specialize in rotaries, I would snag one for a good price anyway, the performance is equally as good with about 200 HP (the car is light as hell). Or the the Nissan 350Z which has a 3.5L V6, I'll guestimate it at about 250 HP+, not sure though. What do y'all think?

Have you looked into a BRZ or FRS?  Not as quick as the cars mentioned above but they have really great handling.  Out of the cars you've mentioned I would take a look at the 350z.

My first car was a 1993 nissan 300ZX which I absolutely loved even though it was a hog on gas. Second was a 2001 Honda prelude which was a blast to drive and had a decent amount storage for its size. Picked up a 2005 jeep wrangler after my first deployment pretty much as a toy. But now I'm driving a 1997 Acura integra GSR and I must say this has been one of my better buys. Plenty fast for me and still gets about 30mpg highway. You really can't go wrong with an import but if you want something that is going to last forever, get a Honda or Toyota. (I saw a crx on Craigslist the other day with almost 400k miles on it and still running and driving)

I have a '67 mustang.. otherwise I"ve owned 3 hondas, a streetbike, and a miata..

The miata has been and still is my favorite. at 1800 lbs 200hp will make  a BEAST of a car. Turbo miata would only cost you 8-10k for a solid build and amazing gas mileage..

import all the way

Early 350zs have around 280hp and the layer ones have 300, about as fast as your mustang now, but 2 seats can be a killer of its your only car. The brz frs is really fun but kinda slow, I have no idea about the genesis but have heard it's kinda heavy

My sister who is married and has a kid drives a genesis if that says anything lol. I'm just not a fan of that body styling though it does have decent interior space. My 300ZX was such a pain because of lack of space that I would constantly have to bug others if I needed to move either lots of stuff or something big. Going snowboarding and things of that nature required me to find someone else that wanted to go and were willing to drive. I'm assuming you would run into the same issues with 350Z/RX8 style vehicles. It's just a hassle but if you don't do anything like that its no biggy

Why are you dead set on import?  Looks like you like RWD cars so american seems like a good fit for you, although they are getting harder and harder to find.  I have had a Ford Taurus and a Cadillac CTS (current car) go well over 100k with few problems while my Pathfinder is falling apart at just over 80k. Kind of a pain in the ass when that's the only one I'm still making payments on.

If you do need to go foreign, I would go with the V6 Genesis out of the ones you mentioned.  Pushing that car around seems like a lot of work for a 2.0L.

I love the RX-8, but I think you're right to be hesitant if there are no mechanics around there that are familiar with them.  They will probably overcharge you for anything just because it's kind of uncommon.  Can you do some of the work yourself?

The 350Z will have been flogged and if I'm having a hard time keeping a pathfinder running, I would imagine the 350Z would be very similar.  NIssans are also expensive to fix.

I would also recommend you look into a Miata, I have considered getting one myself.  My brother has one and he says taking it apart and putting it back together is like playing with Legos, Like it was designed for DIY. He replaced the head in his backyard.

Since you are about a year and a half out, I would recommend you join some forums for these cars you are interested in and just read the posts.  You will get a feel for what kind of problems they have and how happy people are with them.

Good luck!

I would say always try to buy American to support American jobs, but unfortunately so many "American" cars are built elsewhere, especially the parts... *sigh* Hell I worked at a factory here in Tennessee making parts for Nissan, I think it goes both ways.

A major reason I want to buy import is because of longevity, they just last so much longer than American cars. VW engines last like a million years, Honda and Toyota engines last forever too, many American cars start to crap after the 100k mileage mark, ain't nobody got time for that. Yes I know it all depends on how the driver treats the car but I always change my oil every 3k miles, as well as a a High Mileage Gumout treatment. If something is off, I inspect it and fix the issue before it turns for the worse. As for the buy American to support American, we make half if not all the parts for imports anyway, so there's no big deal there. That is a null argument to me anyway since I would rather buy a vehicle I know will last a lot longer in the long run and is built better. I can't say my Mustangs are built bad, but there are some weird issues that are like wtf? This goes for all cars though. Buying an import next is just my personal choice and I would rather not argue that case. I will say that the RX8 is really calling me... there are foreign shops in town and I know at least 2 work on Mazda rotaries, so it won't be so bad if I need to take it to one of those shops. I will try to do all maintenance myself like I normally do.

actually newer american cars have gotten really good in reliability so if you're looking at newer cars you might not want to discount them. 

I was looking at brand new but I reckon I'm going to settle with used, either way, foreign and American sports cars are normally beat, especially if they are 5+ years old.

actually newer american cars have gotten really good in reliability so if you're looking at newer cars you might not want to discount them. 

Number one car company in the world isn't one that's an import to us.  It's Ford.  Yep, Ford.  My mustang has 125,000 miles on it and I've put less than $500 into it in "extraordinary maintenance".  By that I mean stuff not including regular wear and tear like tires, oil, etc.  I love Fords and even I was surprised to discover that world wide, they're at the top.  And Ford is still 100% American owned.  I can't recommend enough people stay with American companies whenever possible.  Don't tell me things like Toyota does their builds here...... Where do the profits go, huh?  They go to Japan.  I figure anybody buying a major purchase of a non-American made product loses all rights to complain about the economy and lack of jobs.

'Rani

What about me? :D Fords are pretty popular around here too though. As far as buying a car for yourself, just go with what you can afford that makes you a happy car owner. Same goes for everything youre buying really, if yowning it makes you happy its the right choice!

And Ford is still 100% American owned.  I can't recommend enough people stay with American companies whenever possible.  Don't tell me things like Toyota does their builds here...... Where do the profits go, huh?  They go to Japan.  I figure anybody buying a major purchase of a non-American made product loses all rights to complain about the economy and lack of jobs.

'Rani

Ok, so you are happy more if the money at the top of the food chain goes to an american executive? As opposed to a company such as Honda or Toyota that has a car that is a greater percent made in the US? I don't care where the end money goes, but as long as you are employing Americans(such as those workers working the assembly line) I don't care which corporation takes the money home at the end of the day. 

Here's a list of the top 10 made in the US cars, Ford doesn't even have 1.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=top&subject=ami&story=amMade0712

I should note that I've owned my 2007 Ford Focus for almost 6 years now and it hasn't given me a single issue. All I've had to pay for it this far is oil changes and new tires. About to hit 100k miles. I personally really like Fords. But buy whatever you like. It's your car, so you better like it. :)

Right so far I've had a Oldsmobile Alero coupe as my first car, then I bought my own 2003 Mustang GT with the 4.6L V8 and 4 speed auto tranny which ended up crapping out and I needed to rebuild. So I did that then got my 2002 Mustang GT with the 4.6L V8 and a 5 speed stick (which I LOVE so much), I am never going back to automatic, ever. I'm currently paying off the 2002 and gave my dad the 2003 since he wanted a Mustang, he co-signed for my loan for the 2002. Figured it was a good trade off. Well this car will be in my possession for about 2 years in November, another year of paying after that. I know I want an import next, I am a gearhead even though I don't have much funds to push towards parts, but my 02' is far from stock. I'm pushing a good 290-300 HP at the crank compared to the stock 260 HP at the crank. Remember that's not RWHP, just crank HP. I'm really looking into used 2010/11/12 Hyundai Genesis Coupe's with either the 2.0 turbo R-Spec edition at 250 HP or the 3.6L V6 that pushes a good 350 HP. It's sleek and I love the look plus the performance is amazing, would treat my 02 GT like a piece of trash on the track. Also I'm looking at the Mazda RX8, my only turn-off is the rotary engine since I'm not sure if there are mechanics around here that really specialize in rotaries, I would snag one for a good price anyway, the performance is equally as good with about 200 HP (the car is light as hell). Or the the Nissan 350Z which has a 3.5L V6, I'll guestimate it at about 250 HP+, not sure though. What do y'all think?

I am currently in the market for a RX-8 and i wont be my daily driver, i know some people that have them, and i know some people that work with rotary engines so that helps, but its not a torque machine its not a 1/4 mile toy, its a him climb/downhill beast. its ment for driving not draggin. which is what i enjoy. 

The Genisis coupe is a super fun drive its a torque beast and is fun and u get a lot for what u pay for. i did test driving for Car and Driver with them loved them, i drove the 2.0t and the v6, i liked the v6 more it was much faster :) and mean sounding stock.

• 3 weeks later...
I say you go for a GTI or the Focus ST. I have had a few imports and a few domestic and I found VW to be the best over all for me, both quality wise and reliability wise.

I've had a Nissan, a Jaguar, a BMW, an Acura, a Mercedes, a Ford, an Oldsmobile, a Saab and a VW. I hope to be looking at the next GTI to be my car later next year. I loved my vw the most, it just felt like if was right. It didn't have anything too fancy and it wasn't missing anything that was needed. The dash was perfectly setup, buttons where where you would want them to be. Their 2.0T is such a a great motor and moves you along like it's not even trying.

Oh, if the last gen kia forte hatch came in a stick with the SX trim, that would have been my daily driver hands down. It's very Audiesque. Crazy cheap for what you get too.

Someone is actually pro Kia? Now I must say their newer models "look" nice but their track record just scares me, I see more of them broken down off the side of the road than driving.

The Kia SX the Ford ST and Mazda Speed3 are the the same car, but the mazda has better suspsenion and i think its a better looking car of the 3. But if i wanted a new FF i'd get a GTI but I want a FR so i'll stick with finding my little older rx8.

Mk7 GTI all the way!!

Yea, my wife has a KIA and its approaching 55k miles and not a single issue. Granted she has the Forte (sedan not hatch, hatch looks like a beast) granted she has the one that was designed after KIA bought out Audi's ex designer and when kia has made massive quality control improvements.

Only reasons I would stay away from an rx8 is the fact that it would burn oil like a mofreak and gas mileage would be a pain in the ass. Oh, and the design language is too busy in an color other than black.

And Ford is still 100% American owned.  I can't recommend enough people stay with American companies whenever possible.  Don't tell me things like Toyota does their builds here...... Where do the profits go, huh?  They go to Japan.  I figure anybody buying a major purchase of a non-American made product loses all rights to complain about the economy and lack of jobs.

'Rani

Ok, so you are happy more if the money at the top of the food chain goes to an american executive? As opposed to a company such as Honda or Toyota that has a car that is a greater percent made in the US? I don't care where the end money goes, but as long as you are employing Americans(such as those workers working the assembly line) I don't care which corporation takes the money home at the end of the day. 

Here's a list of the top 10 made in the US cars, Ford doesn't even have 1.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=top&subject=ami&story=amMade0712

I was actually gong to let this pass, but just can't........... Okay, why would I prefer an American top of the food chain in the US get the money?  Because he's going to pay taxes.  In the US.  He's going to buy property.  In the US.  He's going to educate his kids.  In the US.  He's going to pay for a house constructed in the US.  He's going to contribute to Social Security.  In the US.  State and federal disability?  In the US for US citizens.  Every dollar that stays in the US, multiplies in the US.  Profits going to Japan, or Germany, or Sweden, or England contribute to their economies. Profits pay for little things like, oh, research and development.  So you buy an import, you're support THEIR research and development.  Not ours.  Thereby undercutting our manufacturing chain and downgrading our economy.  

As far as longevity, hmmm..... I admit some imports are better with the technology bells and whistles.  But when it comes to the power trains, you know, the most expensive part of a car?  Bet on American every single time.  And the proof is all around you.  How many 20 and 30 year old import cars do you see around?  Not many.  Classic car shows?  What percentage are import?  Hmmm, that would be..... (except for a rarity)........... none.  Heck, classic American cars are icons and often come with higher price tags that a new import.  I don't see that happening with anything imported.  Ever tried to get parts for a more than 10 year old import?  Takes a lot of time, and often a lot of money.  Sometimes it even has to come from overseas - if you can get it at all.  Need a part for a 10 year old Ford, GM, or Chevy?  Your mechanic will have it within an hour.  

Look, you're going to buy whatever you want..... But again, when you can't find a job, when our economy is in the toilet still, or again 20 years from now, and you want to blame somebody?  Look in the mirror.

'Rani