Genie Coco Natural Coconut Coals

mushrat

Place your reviews for Genie Coco Coconut Coals here. Any non-review posts will be edited out by the mods.

Ok, so looks like I will be the first to review these. And thanks again Mushrat for adding this.

I know some of you had seen the post where I received fake CNs and was not too happy but the issue was resolved. There seems to be a good bit of fakes running around and the quality of real CNs seems to be back and forth. So I decided to try these and see how well they burned.

First off, these are cubes, not the flat kind, and I bought a box of 112. It is $14.99 for a box of 108 Coco-naras, and it is $13.99 for a box of 112 Genie Cocos by Mya.

So the main thing in this review is how well do they perform and how long do they last. These perform just as good as Coco nara and last as long to maybe a few minutes longer. The cubes aren't perfect in shape but that is no big deal.

They burned clean, no added flavor to the shisha, and the ash was very minimal. I did notice the ash color to be grey to very light red, but nothing too out of the ordinary. I think I will keep buying these because I was happy with how they performed, and because you get a little more for a little less money, plus CN needs to get it's stuff together, too many quality control issues.

I was happy with this purchase and will be ordering these again.

Edited by Grim_Puffer

Packaging: Thick Cardboard box, wrapped with thick plastic wrap.
Size Consistency: Roughly the same sized cubes, very irregular edges
Cutting Ease:Only Slight Pressure needed to cut
Cutting Strength: Ashes slightly but cuts where uneven.

Lighting Time: Equal to CCN, about 5 min per side
Smell During Lighting: None
Smell During Smoking: None

Taste: None
Ash: white and grey with specs of black 
Longevity: About 1 hour without being ashed
Heat Management: None, just set them and smoked til it was weak

Purchased From: Hookah Forum Review

Overall: 8/10. They were solid coals. Really good because of the longevity of cube coals and the no smell/taste was nice. I did not like the irregularity of the edges when they were cut from the blocks, and I'm not a fan of the cube coal's size. Overall, pretty much on par with the standard CCN.

I've had two sessions with these now, so here are my impressions:

Calling these cubes is a stretch - they are badly misshapen, and not many right angles in them. However, since they're more cubical than, say, flat (like CCN, Razan, etc), there's no need to stand them on edge, so it doesn't matter a HUGE deal. The coals themselves are quite big - in between Cocomazaya and Cocobrico.

This means they burn for a long time - I was able to get about 100 minutes out of a pair of them on a Lebanese bowl. Granted by the end they were reduced to almost nothing and put out very wispy smoke, but still, I rarely want to smoke more than that length of time, so it's nice not having to get new coals.

Smell when lighting was no more than other coconut coals, maybe even a bit less. I light my coals outside almost exclusively now, so it's not as easy for me to tell.

Ash was on the lighter side

Taste: nonexistent.

Heat: Lower heat than most other coconut coals, from what I could tell. For regular Nakhla and other dryer tobaccos, I'd probably use 3 (I tried it with 2). For Mizo mixed with Rosanna (read: very wet), 2 with a windcover applied every now and then was perfect - no burning or harsh smoke at all. I havent tried them with Tangiers but I suspect they may be a godsend. It's worth noting both times I used one of my Lebanese bowls, which are on the small side, compared to the Elmas bowls I also use. The Elmas bowls hold more, and 3 might be necessary.

Overall, I'm surprisingly impressed with these. They cost over twice per box what I paid for my case of Razans (which will last me at least 2 years, possibly longer), so I probably won't be buying them any time soon, but I'm enjoying the sample pack, and have no problem recommending them. The only downside is the irregular shape, but it's not a serious issue.

Packaging: Thick Cardboard box, wrapped with thick plastic wrap.
Size Consistency: Werid shaped just not perfect, some looked like they hit the floor lol, but worked fine
Lighting Time: 8 minutes for me total
Smell During Lighting: a little bit of a burt paper smell, but thats common for coconut coals
Smell During Smoking: None

Taste: Zero taste for me
Ash: Great and white ass, like pepper

​Longevity: first round about an hr, second round about 1.5 hours
Heat Management:  Didn't have to do any heat managment just moved when i needed to, never got hot.

Purchased From: Hookah Forum Review

Overall: 8/10 So I did 2 tests for these coals, I smoked 3 rounds on a bowl on naklah in a elmas clay bowl, then i smoked Tangiers in a Kasbah Phunnel(which i LOVE) So i started with the nak DA + zaghoul, they worked perfect for it. Nak can take some heat to. but i never had to take them off blow on the bowl Nothing!! Then i was like well its naklah, So after 3rd round of coals i switched to Tangiers. Now...Tangiers doens't like coconut coals with my personal experience. but these were putting off a good amount of heat, like right between Hot and medium just enough to not torch the Tangiers.  So for my opinion these are good coals, for coconuts.  Mya did a great job with these, I only give it a 8 because i dont like coconut coal ash and i do not like the shapes, they were kind of oddly cut. like till one of the coals burnt down did it sit right i had 3 outta the 16 set aside for back up becuase they are like diamond shape. But i would recomend them not sure on the price, this was a Sample thats to the all mighty Mushrat. Thank you Mya

Packaging: Sturdy Box for the size
Size Consistency: Not exactly a true cube, but I don' thave a problem with that.
Lighting Time: 9 min
Smell During Lighting: Just the normal "start" smell of coconut coals

Taste: None was noticeable
Ash: White and dark grey-ish bits, minimal ashing

Longevity: about 1 hour 15 minutes for each set

Heat Management:  None needed, just put them on and done.

Purchased From: 

Overall: 8.5/10, I think that these could be my new go-to coals, they were perfect for my Tangiers in a small phunnel bowl.  I only had to use 2, but was ready to put on a third if needed.  On the second set, I did shave down an edge to make sure that it would not fall off of my bowl, but that was not a big problem.  I think mya has done a good job with these coals, and looking forward to more of what they my have to offer in the future for coals (not to mention the hookahs :P ). Thank you to Mushrat for the sample, and the opportunity to try something different from my Coco-buzz coals.

Packaging: Sturdy Box for the size
Size Consistency: A pretty good sized cube.
Lighting Time: 9 min
Smell During Lighting: Nothing noticable

Ash: White, small amount of ash

Longevity: 1 hour and 20ish minutes

Purchased From:  Free sample from Mushrat.

Overall: 9.5/10, First naturals I've ever used.  Worked very well and I was quite impressed with them.  I will probably pick more if these up before I try other brands of coals.  Little ash and lasted very long.  Perhaps they should be cut in half cause they were pretty thick coals.

• 1 month later...

Packaging: Sturdy Box for the size
Size Consistency: Larger than coconara coals
Lighting Time: 6 min
Smell During Lighting: Nothing noticable

Ash: Whitish

Longevity: 1 hour and 15 mins

Purchased From:  Free sample from Mushrat.

Overall: 9/10, lasts longer than the other natural coals that I used probably due to the size.  No noticeable taste while smoking, ashes nicely and heat management is pretty simple.