Ok Gamers, Next Gen Discussion(Yes Console, Please Keep The Pc/console Trash Talk Out)

ChicagoRSX

In not a single trash talk manner, it seems more viable for people to build PC "rigs" more so then buying next gen consoles. Primarily what I am seeing is an attempt to get to the graphics, speed, and multimedia level found in a mid range rig build.... not to mention the online connectivity requirements and digital distribution. 

Having a rig I spent over 5 years building up (Ended up at around $6000 total cost including the 60" Monitor), I can tell you I sold every single console I owned [Outside of my super nintendo cause there is nothing like the classics], and would honestly never look back.

Especially with things like Steams "Big picture" becoming more of a normality.

Meh, I've always been a console gamer. Uncharted, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Twisted Metal, GT, Need for speed, my list goes on. Never could see myself being a PC gamer cause no pc only games ever seemed to be interesting to me. I like knowing that I buy a system and it will play it's respective games. I don't have to look at a game and think " oh my video card/processor/some other component needs to be upgraded before I can play".

The one problem is the exclusives have realistically gone downhill. Final Fantasy is a shadow of what it once was, Resident Evil isnt even resident evil anymore, metal gear is becoming open world... etc

While I get your hesitation, its more or less every game is turning into a skyrim, 3rd person, or cheeseball remake.

Uncharted I will give to you because it is quite the fucking game any day of the week, but otherwise whats the real purpose if the exclusives just arent upto par.

There are a lot of great points being made here, and I agree with most all of them; a serious amount of wisdom, far more than mine. 

But weird to say, but I am mostly disappointed at how faithful I have been to Microsoft. Through XboxLive subscriptions, and with the new releases, I really have no desire to grab a new Xbox. I've had my account for about 12 years now, which to me seems like a while to give your money for an online gaming service. 

Overall, I really hope they change their direction. Its going to be a great system for some, but like said, I am just disappointed in the crowd they are marketing to and the overall performance and specs. I just dont get it. 

Not to mention Sony is straight up embarrassing Microsoft at E3 through blunders on Microsoft's part and Sony capitalization their on mistakes. Sad news indeed. 

Exactly what is wrong with the XBOX One? People are complaining about the inability to share games? So what? Honestly, how many games have you shared with friends? Tell me how you were able to play with your friends using only one copy of a game? You can't. Unless you're playing on the same system, in which case it doesn't matter, does it? Or you waited til the first friend played the game, probably to completion, then gave it to you. How long did that take? PSN+ costs money just like XBL, but you get more out of XBL than you do PSN+, not to mention the superior multiplayer support that XBOX has always had over PS. What else are people complaining about? The online check in? OK, so...the majority of games are played online now, so if you play the game every day, which most people do anyways, it won't even matter, will it? I don't understand why people are making such a big deal about this?

Several development sources have told us that they expect game publishers to implement similar DRM policies across Xbox One and PS4, despite what has unfolded at E3 this week.

Our contacts described Sony’s conference announcements as a PR play, and revealed that its decision to go DRM-free was made at the very last minute.

Each platform holder’s DRM policy has changed continually over the last few months, they said, though Microsoft’s initial stance was much tougher than its position today. This suggests that the platform holder’s decision to let publishers decide for themselves whether to implement DRM on Xbox One was not part of the original plan.

Ultimately, the developers we spoke to understand the need to protect the revenues made on their work, and expect to see broadly similar DRM restrictions across both PS4 and Xbox One – in one instance, it was suggested that these measures were essential for the console business to survive.

We were also told that final publishing agreements will not be drawn up for at least another month, so the terms of engagement could yet change once more before each console launches at the end of the year.

We have contacted Sony for comment.
http://www.edge-online.com/news/e3-2013-drm-free-ps4-is-a-pr-play-expect-similar-policies-across-both-consoles-say-sources/

I've noticed that it really comes down to fan base and loyalty. Downfalls in one system will be overlooked by the users of that system and people will make purchases based off that. I have bought many used games as I think $60 a game is a bit steep and I also trade games I've beat and don't play for others I've never even tried. That being said I think you know what side I'm on. Regardless of how much I do something, I like the freedom to do what I want instead of being forced into a decision. Who likes being controlled? Not to mention I live in the boonies where high speed Internet isn't available so I have to bring my system to either my brothers or girlfriends to play online.

Actually, many of my friends lend their games to each other(PS3 and 360). Yeah, multiplayer games like black ops everyone is going to have. But single player games we pass around so someone can see if it's something they want to spend money on. Many of my Xbox friends hate that the camera has to be connected and is basically "always on". They are pissed it's $100 more for a system that from a spec standpoint alone, is less powerful, although it is marginal.  And what is your basis for saying you get more out of Xbox Live as opposed to Plus. Plus is also cheaper, and you can't really say you have a it will have superior multiplayer support now that you have to upgrade to plus for multiplayer.  My buddy writes for a blog and owns both current systems, says multiplayer on black ops 2 is the same for both. 

Even though the Xbox will be less powerful...they just proved with the 360 vs ps3 that they can be less powerful.  The game devs will cater to them, essentially bringing down the quality of what the ps can produce.

Even though the Xbox will be less powerful...they just proved with the 360 vs ps3 that they can be less powerful.  The game devs will cater to them, essentially bringing down the quality of what the ps can produce.

Not sure where you are getting your facts on that one, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear 5, Kingdom Hearts, are all being developed for PS4 then ported to Xbox, so they will probably get the less impressive version. Especially if PS4 takes off with the numbers they are projecting.  I think it's telling when Bungie, the creator of Halo is going multi-platform for their next big game, Destiny. Money talks. Of all my friends that own a 360, which is about 15-16 people, only 1 is keeping his XboxOne pre-order. All the rest are going to PS4, so while I'm a PS guy myself, I know that what Microsoft has done has really alienated everyone.  

Not sure where you are getting your facts on that one, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear 5, Kingdom Hearts, are all being developed for PS4 then ported to Xbox, so they will probably get the less impressive version. Especially if PS4 takes off with the numbers they are projecting.  I think it's telling when Bungie, the creator of Halo is going multi-platform for their next big game, Destiny. Money talks. Of all my friends that own a 360, which is about 15-16 people, only 1 is keeping his XboxOne pre-order. All the rest are going to PS4, so while I'm a PS guy myself, I know that what Microsoft has done has really alienated everyone.  

Yeah...more people are really looking at ps right now.  But like I said, the quality of the games (graphics) will be the same so that it can function on the xbox.  PS3 still has a lot of life in it with its hardware but was held down thanks to the 360 being far inferior in the hardware department.

But don't they make the game for one console sometimes, then "dumb it down" to port it over to other consoles? Meaning the game will be better on one system over the other. Either way, PS3 has still not been fully pushed to its limits in terms of what it can do, from what I understand. That's mainly why I'm excited to see how impressive GTA V is on it, even though it'll be on 360 as well I think. Anyway, I decided I'll be getting a PS4. But I'm gonna wait a while after release when all the bugs are worked out. My wife and I are huge Kingdom Hearts fans and we were excited to hear about the new one being made for it. :) I also can't wait to see what Naughty Dog does (loved Crash Bandicoot on PS1, Jak and Daxter on PS2, and Uncharted on PS3, not to mention I want The Last of Us super bad). Pretty safe to say they're my favorite developers.

But don't they make the game for one console sometimes, then "dumb it down" to port it over to other consoles? Meaning the game will be better on one system over the other. Either way, PS3 has still not been fully pushed to its limits in terms of what it can do, from what I understand. That's mainly why I'm excited to see how impressive GTA V is on it, even though it'll be on 360 as well I think. Anyway, I decided I'll be getting a PS4. But I'm gonna wait a while after release when all the bugs are worked out. My wife and I are huge Kingdom Hearts fans and we were excited to hear about the new one being made for it. :) I also can't wait to see what Naughty Dog does (loved Crash Bandicoot on PS1, Jak and Daxter on PS2, and Uncharted on PS3, not to mention I want The Last of Us super bad). Pretty safe to say they're my favorite developers.

Yes Chris, when they design a game for one system, it's designed for that system's hardware. When it's ported, they will make sacrifices/changes to make it run on the other hardware. Best example I can think of off hand is Resident Evil 4, which was developed for GameCube, then ported to PS2.  Crash was one of my fav games and I hope they do another one.

Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console — there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.

It's sad that Microsoft put themselves in the situation that they had to end up backpedaling after angry Xbox fanboys threw a bitch fit. :) I would like to see the reasons as to why the PS4 is being shat on now, Tyler.

Ps4 adding DRM to major game title, XBOX going region-lock free, DRM free, adding MORE bonuses to XBOX Live accounts, PSN+ becoming more expensive, less bonuses, there's probably more but can't think of everything right now

The best part is that people think this was a change of policy, it's called advertisement. They just pulled a giant marketing ploy on everyone, generating tons of publicity and then changing it so they can be all like "oh you were mad and we listening!"

I'm sorry but your post comes off as very fanboyish to me. :) Explain how Xbox One will be DRM free, and the title for PS4 that will be DRM, as I haven't yet seen that mentioned before. Either way, I doubt it was an intentional marketing ploy by Microsoft. But if it was, it was a very bad one, IMO.

Chris did you even read the post I made or the link I posted? Probably not because of what you posted. Maybe you should read before calling someone a fanboy.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2013/06/17/sony-would-be-surprised-by-publisher-drm/1

New game developers want to push DRM on PS4 to limit renting and used game buying/selling as well as sharing. They make more money that way.

Out of both consoles I have NEVER seen Sony as the more money hungry of the two. You still had to buy wireless adapters for the original 360, batteries for the controllers, not to mention its a lesser system that you paid more for in the end. My favorite moment from one of my 360 buddies is when he asked to borrow my copy of avengers, I said I would but your 360 can't play blu-ray ;)

Hahahahahahahahahha Ps4 being shat on now

Hardly, more like MS is saying "aww shit, we have got to do some damage control, they aren't as dumb as we hoped"

Not sure where you are getting all your facts, Sony hasn't said it was going to put DRM on any games yet(yes, I read your links), however I did read a couple stories that they were considering leaving it up to the developers and the link you posted said they would be surprised if any developer implemented them, but with recent events you'd be kidding yourself to think they will implement anything like that. Second not anything that you posted could I find that the Xbox will be region free, as of now the only thing I've found in print is PS4 is like PS3 and Vita, region free. 

You also still have that whole "kinect" has to be connected to use the system and will be recording.  

I think this simply puts them both on a more equal footing.

I am curious what exact "bonuses" MS is adding to it's online. And Playstation plus is the same price now as it will be on PS4$40 a year, still cheaper then MS. And what are "less bonuses on PS Plus? Do tell.