Ok Gamers, Next Gen Discussion(Yes Console, Please Keep The Pc/console Trash Talk Out)

ChicagoRSX

So with the release of the details of the Xbox One, I'm curious to see how the gamers feel about it. I'd also would love to hear from the Xbox fans feel about the over all presentation.  I wasn't really impressed myself, but I look forward to the discussion.

I really wish hardware and software companies would start utilizing more advanced technologies instead of trying to cater to what the consoles are limited to. We could have seen tessellation years ago. -_- I'm a PC gamer so I will always have a dislike for consoles even though I own a 360. But I blame consoles for the decrease in advancement of graphical and AI technologies.

The 720 name would have been lackluster as people would associate it with 720p HD and not the 1080p and 4k the ONE will handle.  With that said, I think the ONE name is moronic.  What's next?  Two?  I thought this was the third XBOX?

I want my system to be a gaming system.  Not be bombarded by ads for what next on Showtime or to plug in the cable box most of us don't have or won't have in the future.  I'm sure it's a nice piece of hardware, but the reveal today was 50 minutes of glorified DVR box talk, Halo TV series (surely to have a special fee), and fantasy football which will not work this year until the system miraculously comes out before September 5th, as you cannot make a league once the season has started.  As for gaming, there was 10 minutes of pre-rendered cutscenes that they called "gameplay".

And the ONE will not function without the Kinect plugged in.  It kind of freaks me out like some 1984-esque device that will record me doing weird shit and post it to the cloud.

I want to refer to it as the XBone.

• Upvote 1

Funny thing is Microsoft didn't name the last console the XBOX 2, because they didn't want it to look inferior by name next to the PS3.  So, they went with XBOX 360.  Now they are going back to ONE...  Jesus Christ in a corvette.

Stupid name.  I've been really debating about going to PC gaming.  I've been a console gamer for most of my "gaming life"...it doesn't help my site is mainly console gaming (most specifically xbox).  Some of the rumors have been squashed...I'd like to learn more about it before I really say whether I'm going to PC or actually going with the xbox.

My personal opinion is it isn't really necessary for a new set of gaming systems just yet...

I whole heartily agree

current gens have been out for 8 years now, I personally think we're well past the point of when the next gen should have been out. But it is nice that the generations are lasting so much longer.

That said, I was happy with the presentation. I expect E3 announcements to cater more towards gamers than the unveiling. This system will have more than enough power to keep up gaming wise, I just think gamers are so egotistical that they feel left out that this wasn't catered to them and them alone. Sooner or later everyone will have to face the fact that the general population wants a system that can be literally all you need for home entertainment. It would not surprise me one bit if cable boxes are done for and the xbox one will act as the cable box itself (for the companies that partner with Microsoft and choose to support it anyways, which I believe will be all major providers...)

I know I personally don't even have cable and don't miss it very often. I have netflix on my xbox so my xbox is constantly running because that's mine and my girlfriends main source of television. I can't remember the last time I went to rent a movie because I just rent it and stream straight off of my xbox and every once in a while I even play a video game on it. All Microsoft is doing is expanding on the great all around system that is already there. I can order PPV fights, whatch TV, watch live events when they're available (To be honest the last thing I cared about watching live was presidential debates which were live on xbox anyways.

There was a time when I would sign on to xbox live and there were at least 10+ people online playing videogames. Now I log on and there are 10+ people on but they're all watching Netflix or something else, MAYBE 2 people are playing a game.

I don't mind the kinect either, I think it will be great. I love mine... but I almost never use the motion sensor, I have a few games for it that I rarely, if ever, play and the motion tracking to control netflix or anything else pisses me off. But the fact that I can tell it to pause and play when I want and browse Netflix without having to turn my controller on and waste the battery makes it well worth it to me. 

I don't see anything wrong with the new Xbox and frankly, I love where they are going with it. The only thing that might hurt them a little bit is gamers with bruised egos feeling left out... Which again, is dumb IMO because they aren't pulling back on the power of the system or not supporting game devs. They're just not focused on one single demographic anymore.

Just an add on: I reserve the right to change my view on the system once we find out more about what's going on with the whole used game situation....

Holy hell that was longer than I intended /rant

• Upvote 1

Here's the bullshit that I hate. Ps3 hasn't been pushed to it's limits yet. Not even close. So why do we need a ps4? That doesn't make sense when we haven't even pushed the ps3 to it's breaking point.
Here's my logic......if I don't watch anything about the new consoles then they won't come out and I can be content with my OG 360 and my PS3

When a game is created for PC and is ported over to consoles they have to lower the quality of the graphics because the consoles can't handle it. That happened a long time ago so I believe they have met their limits. 

Consoles will never be pushed to their breaking point ( where the console is working so hard it's teetering on overheating and crashing constantly) because consoles are supposed to be stable, you're not supposed to have to worry about graphics settings and if your console can handle it because it should easily handle the games thrown at it.

But the ps3 hasn't had games thrown at it that it CAN handle. It can handle a lot more then it's gotten so far

But the ps3 hasn't had games thrown at it that it CAN handle. It can handle a lot more then it's gotten so far

Neither has 360, but imo Uncharted 3 was probably the most gorgeous game I saw PS3 run.

I understand where you're coming from but games aren't the only thing to consider anymore. There's also the speed of the system and the overall experience. I the current gent systems have the power to switch between games, movies and live TV as quick as the One did during the presentation I would probably agree with you. But I don't think it does. Consoles aren't just about gaming power anymore, they haven't been since xbox live got revamped to be a more universal entertainment solution.

It would also be interesting to see if the current gen systems can handle the game engines the new systems will be using. 

I'm just not sure. I hate that new consoles come out because more money to spend on machines that'll be out of date in a few years
I may put these off till I can't get games for the 360/ps3

I hear you on that. I don't have the money for a new console either... But in all honesty, the current gen has been out for 8 years so It's not like they're rushing to put new ones out to make us spend money. I'll probably keep my 360 and RGH it so I can use it as an emulator so I can enjoy older systems on it when I'm feeling nostalgic.

yup, luckily I've never had the RROD problem on any of my xboxes. I can get them really cheap when they have the disc read errors though that just need pot calibration :D

Anyways, I'm getting off topic now...

I'm predominately a PC player and dabble in some PS3 single player game, but other than that it's a netflix box and blu ray player.  The games I play, like BF3, are always going to be better for the PC, but it is more expensive to keep up with the computer graphics than just buying a console and keeping it for half a decade.  

Call of doody - http://youtu.be/KbWgUO-Rqcw

I'm excited for the XBOX ONE. The name hints at its use as an all in one gaming system. Emphasis on ONE. It's really great for people who watch sports, use Netflix, play games, use Skype, and want a better online interactive experience than the PSN can ever offer. Not to mention the XBOX controller >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS controllers. Not for everyone I guess but its perfect for me