Any Scotch Drinkers Out There?

ryno

There always seems to be a good amount of talk about cigars and craft beer around here. What I'm wondering is if there is any scotch drinkers out there? I'm not sure when I started drinking it really, but have always enjoyed it. Some of my favorites so far have been the Dewars 12 year and The Glenlivet.  I was also surprised with the Johnny Walker Double Black Label. I cannot stand the Red Label and the Black is alright, but the Double Black really had a good balanced flavor to it.

Never got into bourbon, whiskey, scotch, etc. Although I really am wanting to because I feel like it would be something I would enjoy if I got my hands on some good stuff.

JW Green label and Glenvilet for sure. I love hard liquors. Haven't tried double black.... Yet. What's that like??

More peat smoke flavor over the regular black.  I do enjoy it more than black, but if I had to choose any Johnnie it would be Gold or Green.  Blue is way overrated. 

Damn.  I just decided to look up the Oban distillery to learn more about them and the malt and discovered they are owned by the British multinational company, Diageo.  Now check this out -- Diageo owns all of these scotch distilleries: 

Johnnie Walker, Buchanan's, Cardhu, Justerini & Brooks, Bell's, Black & White, White Horse, Logan, Caol Ila, Vat 69, Oban, Talisker, Lagavulin, Glen Ord, Glenkinchie, Dalwhinnie, Cragganmore, Clynelish, Singleton, Haig, Royal Lochnagar, Glen Elgin, Knockando, The Dimple Pinch

wait which stock were we supposed to be looking at? I got distracted by that cane mint

Apologies. I forget how hard it is for people to get.  A bunch of local shops have it, but they like to add a premium to it.  It usually goes for $17 a 250g.

Some of the Diageo ones are the best though. 

Here's what I've got (and I'm a rum guy)

Dalwhinnie 15

Old Pulteney 12

Balvenie Doublewood (I think 12 yrs?)

Highland Park 12

Talisker 10

Caol Ila 12

Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength

Ardbeg Uigedaill (also C.S.)

Bruichladdich "The Laddie" 10 (unpeated Islay)

Highland Park 18

the last two are the newest and I've only had them once, so haven't formed a strong enough opinion, but of the rest, HP12, Talisker, and Caol Ila are my favs - if I had to pick a desert island scotch, I might go for the HP12.

As far as blended, don't even bother with anything besides Grant's Family Reserve, it surpasses Black Label in quality, for less than Red Label pricing.

As far as drinking straight, single malt scotch any day over any bourbon or rye.

It can be an acquired taste. To get used to bourbon, I suggest starting on Manhattens as a drink.

A Manhattan is made with rye sir. Anything else is unacceptable, uncouth, and unappetising.

As far as drinking straight, single malt scotch any day over any bourbon or rye.

I disagree. Scotch has an almost moldy taste to me that turns me off, HARD. There's been few scotches that haven't had at least a little of this lingering taste. I Love me some bourbons and rye's but scotches, more than any other liquor straight, honestly gross me out in most instances.

Bourbon though, the full, rich flavor of the wood it's casked in, and the ingredients used.. AMAZING.

Maybe this is the wrong thread for me though. XD

i got my dad a bottle of macallan 12 for christmas, but we haven't opened it yet. waiting for a special occasion.

i'm more of a gin kinda guy, but my friends had a bottle of macallan last night for our pregame to celebrate my graduation today. it was the lowest level macallan, but it was god damn delicious 

If it's any type of Alcohol ill drink it! I got into Cognac lately :-) I never tried scotch though. What would be a good bottle to start with if you never tried it? 

If it's any type of Alcohol ill drink it! I got into Cognac lately :-) I never tried scotch though. What would be a good bottle to start with if you never tried it? 

it can be pricey, but if you're drinking Cognac already, it won't be that bad lol

I'd suggest any of the scotches they mentioned, The johnnie walker stuff has a weird almost moldy taste to me, but The Glenlivet is amazing, i'd suggest that

No, I wouldn't recommend Glenlivet to start out. Start with Dalwhinnie, it's the softest single malt out there - it's called "the honey malt." After that, try Glenmorangie 10, very solid, and VERY cheap (like, $30, which is as low as it gets for single malts). Also, almost every bar has Glenmorangie.

If your budget is really low, Grant's Family Reserve is a blend, but is very smooth and sippable, and about $15

It can be an acquired taste. To get used to bourbon, I suggest starting on Manhattens as a drink.

A Manhattan is made with rye sir. Anything else is unacceptable, uncouth, and unappetising.

Most recipes I've seen around here are for bourbon.. Looks like I need to revisit that with a rye.. Any good suggestions on that one?

Chivas Regal wouldn't be too bad to start on. Its decently cheap and has a good flavor. And I love the smokey flavor of the JW Double Black.

Most recipes I've seen around here are for bourbon.. Looks like I need to revisit that with a rye.. Any good suggestions on that one?

Rittenhouse 100, Bulleit Rye (if cheap, you can find it <$20 if you're lucky), Wild Turkey Rye, Old Overholt, good starting points.  But see if you can get the Rittenhouse