I'm Sure All Of You Are Bored With The Never Ending Lotus Threads So I'm Here To Make An Improvement And Save People Money With My Foil Method.

For those of you who do not have a Kaloud lotus because either you feel its to expensive or you can't afford one? To you i have good news. 

Why shell out $50 dollars for the lotus when you can make a similar contraption out of foil? Here's 1 of my 1st foil made temporary lotus. Note it can be reused 2-3 times if you don't scorch it and use proper heat management. I had 2 variations the 1 in this picture. and later a modified version with a thick foil handle and some electrical tape wrapped around the end of the handle. Here's how to make it: 

Step 1: put 2 layers of foil shiny side down on top of your shisha packed bowl. 

Steo 2: Make 4 1.5- 2 cm horizontal slots opposite ends of each other, forming north south east and west.

Step 3: make 1 medium to large hole in the middle / funnel area.

step 4: (optional) make up to 4 needle thin holes forming a plus sign near the funnel hole surrounding the spire

Step 5: Put 4 coals on to preheat the temporary make-shift  lotus and wait 5 minutes before smoking. 

Step 6: Take 1 of those 4 coals off once it get's going and enjoy 

Here's a poorly taken pic of my session with 1. 

My results gave me 3 rounds of coals smoking nahkla out of a harmony and 5 rounds of coals smoking Tangiers out of the same harmony bowl. 

Note results may Vary :-) Good luck friends! 

• Upvote 1

Thanks! Sorry for all those spelling and grammar errors i want to correct it now! lol but their is no edit button lol 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Very late, but needed update. i finally perfected my make shift lotus method.

This method does not waste coals at all on a Tangiers small you only need 2 coals with it also (update) use 1 sheet of regular foil not 2 :-) your foil pattern on the make shift lotus should look like this. 

the hole in the middle of the spire simply adds more air flow. this will give you a great flavorful smoke and save you a lot of money. Pay close attention to these pictures if you want to try it out.

Also the best part about this method is that it is so simple anyone can do it all you need is a knife and it takes no time at all (much easier than poking holes) Your welcome! 

And for you traditional smokers who despise the lotus and what it stands for, I have my much more time consuming and complicated ash protection method involving tiny toothpick hole and free (hole-less) spots to put your coals (i have different variations sometimes 2 coal spots sometimes 3 coal spots depending on how i rotate them. This method is great for preventing excess ash from falling into the bowl and ruining your shisha. It is a tad bit complex to do at 1st. So i put pics of this method as well as my lotus method. 

NOTE: these last pics are demonstrations only the bowl wasn't packed i merely showed you the hole methods. The prior pics were the lotus method when i 1st started it but the last updated pics is the perfected version of my make-shift-lotus. gives you a clean bowl and all you need is a knife. 

Edited by A Sharrp SYBIAN

• 3 months later...

Let me know how it works out! The point of this method is to prevent ash from getting in the bowl and giving you a smoother smoke.  Essentially working like a lotus but w/o a top. 

It is like the inverted phunnel with little knife slashes going around. what that does is get the bowl to heat up a little faster this way you wait 4 minutes instead of 10 before getting good clouds. Chrees you are correct i loosely based this on the inverted phunnel method combined with those slots in the lotus then i just make put a windcover on it.