New "hookah Gel" Product And Potential Health Concerns

I picked up this topic from a friend on reddit, but thought it was worth discussing here as well since there may be some more knowledgable people.

First off, there's a new product hitting the market (soonish?) called Hookah Gel. It's another tobacco free and nicotine free shisha alternative. (For an example, click here.)

Basically, it's a big goop/gel like product that you can load into your bowl.

Upon further examination, the product is made with a hydroponic gel, which while listed as non-toxic, was NEVER intended for use at high heat. They also contain acrylamide, which is a known carcinogen.

I was just curious for others input on the subject. While I know smoking isn't safe, smoking something with a known carcinogen is a bit scarier to me. Also brings up an important note that, while products are listed as a tobacco alternative, that does NOT always make them safer.

Edited by Chreees
Removed video link- Promoting other forum.

If people want a "safe" alternative to smoke shisha then they can just gtfo and quit smoking. Seems safer than smoking a known carcinogen

If I am not mistaken...what little info I have found. It's made by the same people that produce Beamer Herbal Shisha, which is a huge dissapointment in itself.

Has anyone found a legitimate place to buy this? I googled it and really didn't find any place I'd care to send money to.

Personally, I'm down to try these things just to see how well they smoke. The video wasn't that impressive but there are a lot of new variables that could be tweaked with this kind of product.

If I am not mistaken...what little info I have found. It's made by the same people that produce Beamer Herbal Shisha, which is a huge dissapointment in itself.

Eww, did not know that haha. As others have mentioned, I might TRY it, but with potential health concerns and the lack of nicotine, I don't really have much interest.

Has anyone found a legitimate place to buy this? I googled it and really didn't find any place I'd care to send money to.

Personally, I'm down to try these things just to see how well they smoke. The video wasn't that impressive but there are a lot of new variables that could be tweaked with this kind of product.

AFAIK only samples are being sent out right now.

For all you folks talking about the "known carcinogens"... are we forgetting that tobacco smoke is one also? I know the whole "baking/cooking vs. smoking" for hookah thing, but you have to admit that inhaling tobacco-related stuff (or any plant material - I don't think teasha is probably that much of an improvement) is, y'know, not great either. That said, I'd rather smoke tobacco than whatever crazy shit is in this. They should absolutely not market this as a "healthy" option, just perhaps as a nicotine-free choice or just something new and potentially interesting. 

Also the idea of putting goo in my bowl just seems really unappealing on so many levels. 

• Upvote 2

I doubt I would ever try, I've had several herbal brands some were ok but overall cant beat the real stuff. Stones were better than herbal IMO. Some flavors are really weak though. I guess we will see how well it does.Also smoking is smoking...

Carcinogens are in everything aren't they? They natural occur in food. That articles says "Later studies have found acrylamide in black olives,[15] prunes,[16] dried pears[16] and coffee.[17]"

Right, which is why I was wondering if anyone had any further thoughts or knowledge on any health related issues. I'm not sure if inhaling the chemical would vary greatly from ingesting it, definitely not my area of expertise haha

Yeah I don't know... I've been reading all these scientific articles recently its all so complex. I don't know how scientists have the patience to sort through it all. I mean I guess they are getting paid so that helps...