Straight Razor Shaving

Chreees

Shave #7:

I used the Wade and Butcher on this one (which I finally tuned in after about 20 x-strokes on my barbers hone- works like a dream now!), and did two WTG passes with some XTG strokes here and there in certain spots. I think this may be my go-to method. NO irritation whatsoever, and a completely nick-free shave. I got what I would consider "Directional BBS," meaning I can run my hand WTG and it's smooth as can be. I am happy with this. Especially if it means no irritation. I can live with not going against the grain if it means a more comfortable shave everytime.

Also added witch hazel into the routine... Love it. I just picked up the cheap $3 stuff from Wal-Mart, made by T.N. Dickinson. The alcohol content in it turns out is not significant enough at all to irritate my face, like other products I've used. I just poured a bit into my hand and rubbed it all over my face after a final cold water rinse.

Oh, that brings me to another point... I've been shaving with nothing but cold water. I like it a lot better. The lather is cold, which goes well with the tingly menthol in the Proraso soap. My face seems to do better during shaving, too. End result is less irritation and a closer shave. So I'll be sticking with it for now.

Still using the Nivea sensitive skin post-shave balm, now after the witch hazel rinse. Great stuff. Leaves my face feeling awesome throughout the day.

That's all for now.

Shave #8:

Today was the second time in a long time I've shaved directly after shaving the day before, so two days in a row... Wow. I did the "two WTG passes with some XTG here and there" method again and it resulted in a nice smooth shave, "directional BBS," with no irritation. That's amazing, considering I just shaved yesterday morning and I usually get all kinds of razor burn when I shave two days in a row. So same results as yesterday, just as happy as yesterday. I'm DEFINITELY sticking with this for now, especially if it allows me to shave everyday with no irritation.

The Wade and Butcher was used again today. I'm getting used to its shorter "monkeytail." At first it was awkward compared to the longer one on my Dovo and even my Henckels, but I've adjusted and I really like using the razor now.

Speaking of the Henckels, I get that back tomorrow from Larry. He emailed me and said he is sure I'll be pleased with it. Since he did a fine job honing the Wade and Butcher, I have no doubts that the Henckels will be great as well. I think it was just a fluke the first time he sent it honed, since he seems to have really good feedback online when it comes to honing. I don't hold it against him one bit.

I also fixed up one of the vintage cases he sent me... super glue to the rescue! The material on one was coming undone so I just glued it back. Not a big deal. They both look great for how old they seem. I just wanted to make sure that the material didn't come undone anymore and get worse. I guess I still need to get some pics of the cases. Heck, for my razors too... I know I posted pics of them before, but I need pics taken with my Canon T2i. ;)

Got my Henckels back from being rehoned. I do believe it will shave well now. Larry also threw in a sample of Clubman aftershave, which I have been wanting to try actually. Huge props to Larry for throwing that in, as well as rehoning the razor free of charge.

Shave #9:

This one happened the morning of 3/22, but I'm just now getting time to type this at 3AM on 3/23. Been a long day, but got to visit my sister-in-law, niece, and nephews, and now I am working the night shift.

Anyway, used the freshly-honed Henckels. Per Larry's instructions, I did not strop the razor prior to shaving. It shaved pretty well, but I think I am going to do 10 x-strokes on the hone, like I did with the Wade and Butcher. Should dial it in just perfect. Either way, I love the look and feel of the razor. Perfectly balanced, easy to hold, and perfectly sized blade on it.

I was also rushed, since my wife was eager to leave to see the kids. Definitely not a good thing. I had to tell her to chill out and go away. Which is hard, since we're living in a small hotel room at the moment. Finally she left me alone long enough to finish up my second WTG/XTG pass and I walked away cut-free.

All in all, nothing much to report. I'm really enjoying the witch hazel and feel like it helps my skin a lot, along with the Nivea balm. I will continue using these products.

This is my last update, since I know you guys don't want to read too much about me shaving, lol. I may occasionally update if I'm to ever pick up a new razor or something. Either way, I've got a pretty good routine down now, that I'm sure with time and practice will only continue to improve.

Shave #10:

Shaved using my Dovo before my third shift tonight. Everything went well. I need to watch my pressure, though... My Dovo requires a much lighter touch and is less forgiving than my Wade and Butcher or Henckels. I ended up with some light razor burn on my neck tonight because I was just simply applying too much pressure.

Did the typical WTG/XTG two passes. Still working well for me. Cold water only, Proraso soap, witch hazel, and Nivea sensitive balm. All good.

I plan on giving the Henckels 10 x-strokes on my barbers hone and shaving with it next time, which should be Monday before work. I hope it will result in it shaving better, like what happened with the Wade and Butcher.

Waiting for a day where the wife isn't around to use the Clubman aftershave sample Larry sent me... She smelled the little baggie and was NOT impressed whatsoever. She told me it smelled like a baby! Lol. I think it smells like the old barber shop my dad used to take me to waaaaay back in the day, when I was around 5 years old. Very faint memory, but I do remember it. It's been long gone, which is a shame.

Finally got some good pics of my collection:

All the cases:

Wade and Butcher "The Celebrated" Extra Hollow Ground:

And with its case I paired it with (I originally paired it with the other case, but the Henckels fits better in it):

J.A. Henckels Twin Works 85:

And with its case I paired it with:

Dovo Black Star:

Case it came with:

And all of my goodies altogether:

• 3 months later...
So a lot has happened since my last update... I'm still very much active in this shaving hobby. I ended up getting three new razors from Craigslist for a price I couldn't pass up, all 6/8's with barber notches. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Wade and Butcher and Sheaf Works:

W&B:
IMG_3492_zpsfeaf1244.jpg

Sheaf Works:
IMG_3493_zpsc36183dc.jpg

Frederick Reynolds:
IMG_3494_zps1d81d169.jpg

The Frederick Reynolds is nice too, but there's something with how the W&B and Sheaf Works shave that I just can't get over.

Also, as you can tell, the scales on the W&B were pretty bad. Cracked in two different places, and they were also extremely loose at the pivot. Bought some pin sets and new wood scales off of eBay. To fix the loose issue, the pivot hole in the steel was so large I had to fill it in with JB Weld and drill a new hole with a 1/16 bit. Then I had fun learning how to install pins. Polished the blade with Mothers. Not too bad for my first go, I think:

WampBwood_zpse1136c51.jpg

The blade fits perfectly, and the pivot is nice and tight. I am extremely happy with the results.

Also ended up getting a new strop, this one: http://shop.starshaving.com/product.sc?categoryId=2&productId=73

For new soaps, I have tried Gentleman Bill's Bay Rum, and just got Taylor of Old Bond Street's Sandalwood in. Love the Bay Rum, and the Sandalwood smells amazing. Can't wait to try it in the morning.

Picked up an alum block and really diggin' it.

Aftershaves I have fallen in love with Clubman's Bay Rum, and my father just gifted me a bottle of Lagerfeld, which I also really like.

I think I'm obsessed with shaving now... My wife thinks its weird how much I enjoy shaving now. :lol:

Some of my razors are for sale, if anyone's interested...

• 3 weeks later...
Chreees, i hate to take business away from Larry at whipped dog, but when your ready to get those new razors honed up, drop me a pm. I will hook ya up just cover shipping. Also if ya know of anyone looking for a gilette de, I have three new ones I just picked up and would be interested in lettin one or two go. Here is a pic of them

I had a wonderful shave this am with a morely clover on my face, a big 17/16 cleaver of a razor on my head and some thayers to finish up. Wired up some uberlather of ingrams and mwf

I appreciate it man but all three have already been honed. I'm currently interested in learning more about honing. If you know of a good-priced Norton 4k8k combo or something similar I'd be interested. I'd LOVE to see pics of your 17/16 cleaver. I just picked up a rusty Wade and Butcher that the seller says is one inch. The edge looks perfect and it seems to have little hone wear. I hope she cleans up nicely when I get it in a few days. Then I'm looking at replacing the scales with a nice new set in ivory. :)

The blade has a frosted pattern on it, its a Masonic razor. If I was forced into a choice between selling my hookah or a razor, this razor would bring a good price on the bay just because of the Masonic frosr

Ohhh? I need to check the hookah thread over there to refresh my memory. Either way, good to see you here man! Need anything, just holla. We're a very helpful and friendly community, just like SRP. :)

Cheeres, when things finally settle down for you, and you can get the shave den set up, I highly recommend investing in either a cake, or the cake and container of Mitchells wool fat soap, you won't regret having it in your rotation