Straight Razor Shaving

Chreees

I went to Bath and Body Works. They were totally sold out of the Bigelow. :o So I came home and went on Amazon to get it, but saw that the Proraso was only $2 more. I ordered 2 of the Proraso soap and one of the Proraso pre-shave cream (which I see a lot of people use as a post-shave treatment against razor burn/irritation... that's what I'll most likely be using it for).

Also found a thread on Shave Secret... I tried it few years ago with a Fusion razor, following the directions. Didn't care for it. But that's how my dad shaves- no cream or anything, just a few drops of the Shave Secret and his two-blade multi razor he likes so much (I forget the name of it, but it's been discontinued and he buys the blades online). I am considering picking up the Shave Secret and using it as a pre-shave oil, with lather on top of it, then finishing off with the Proraso pre-shave cream. The thread I found on Badger and Blade majority of folks said they had really good results doing that.

jesus 4? 1-2 is usually sufficient for most purposes (i.e. if you don't want to pass for a 12 year old...)

I'm right there with you on that. I do 2 passes, tops.

As for C.O Bigelow, it is exactly the same as Proraso, it's not just made by them, it's actually identical. It's just labelled differently. So, yeah, that stuff is good.

I buy most of my stuff from Fendrihan.com, mainly because they are Canadian, but they have a great selection. Primalan is the only pre-shave "oil" that I have used that I actually noticed a difference, so I use it most shaves.

Another thing I should note since you're just starting out Chris, the hardest thing to learn is making a good lather. I know, it seems straight forward, but when you finally do get a really great lather (should be the consistency and look of finely whipped whipped cream, and should be able to hold "peaks" of lather up solid), you realize just how wrong you've been doing it all along. If you see bubbles in your lather, it's too wet. If it's not getting thick and creamy, it's too dry. When you add water to a lather, add it literally by the drop. A couple drops of water can make a world of difference in the quality of your lather, and if you go little by little, you're not liable to fuck up your lather.

What I generally do is use an almond size bit of shaving cream (I usually use cream and not soaps, but if you're using soap, cut that in half). Soak your brush in the sink, or get it nice and soaked under the tap, then, using a snapping motion with your wrist, flick the water once or twice out of the brush. That, I find, will usually get you pretty close to how much water you will need (meaning don't add any more water to the lather than what is in the brush). Also, it can sometimes take a minute or two to really get the lather whipped up right. Don't be a bitch and half ass it, whip it real good ;)

Don't fuck around with extravagant measures, like the Uber Lather (shhh), until you can do a regular lather good. It will all be really alluring, and the straight razor forum users are generally maniacal about all these little tricks and such, so just ignore them until you can get a good shave with the basics. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIEVqFB4WUo

Lol.

Seriously though, I have been watching YouTube vids on lathering... geofatboy's vids have been extremely informative. I was planning on being very careful with lathering, adding barely any water as I go, like you suggested. So good advice my man. I can't wait to get started on all this! I just need to steal a Best Western mug from the lobby or maybe just use a small bowl... hope the wife doesn't get mad. :)

As for the C.O. Bigelow, I'll be sure to try it sometime if it's ever more convenient to get it instead of the Proraso (like if I'm at Bath and Body Works again and not ordering online where the Proraso is just $2 more). With 2 tubs of the Proraso, I should be set for nearly a year now, though. So it'll be a while.

Also, I need to stop looking at razors online... I keep wanting to buy them when I have two coming and I don't even know how nice they will be or not! Who knows, my bro could have a really nice Dovo or something, lol. And there's no telling what Larry's gonna send me.

Just picked up this Wade and Butcher off of eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170994658275?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I offered the guy $30 and he took it. Looks pretty good and hopefully won't need much work to get shave ready. I know it'll need to be honed, which I will either wait until I get my honing skills down, or just ship it off to get done.

So from Larry I'm getting a vintage shave-ready "sight unseen," from my brother I dunno what the hell I'm getting (may be my honing practice razor depending on what it is), and now this Wade and Butcher.

Dunno why, but I just had to get an old Wade and Butcher since I kept seeing them on the straight razor forums. My budget for it was $30. I think I did pretty good.

I think I'm set now on everything, lol.

Got it in! It's in pretty darn shape best I can tell, but I seek the advice from the pros here... (Sorry for the iPhone 5 pics, I was lazy and didn't feel like busting out the Canon)

Already has a pretty sharp edge on it, but I assume it will need a proper honing, which I cannot do with a simple 12K barbers hone?

I will eventually. I want to get good at it first, haha.

Just visited my sis-in-law and she went ahead and gave me the razor, strop, and brush my bro was going to give me when he got back from Afghanistan. It's a freakin' Dovo, and man is it nice!

About to polish the Wade and Butcher, then it's being sent off to get honed. ;)

Pics of Dovo and polished W&B coming up soon.

Polished W&B:

0FF9C384-9BE2-4D9C-996F-96877F51ED0E-919

I ran it the scales under water after polishing to get some gunk out of between them... Bad idea. Oxidized them. Now I gotta figure out how to get them back to black.

And here is the Dovo my brother gave me, it says "Dovo Black Star" on the blade:

F18DCA37-FC41-49ED-B628-E73808268FAD-919

It just needs a quick honing and it should be shave ready!

I should have my Whipped Dog package waiting for me when I get back "home." Currently at my gparents until Tuesday evening.

I use both a straight razor (mostly on the weekend when I can take the time) and a SINGLE blade desposible cheap as you can get (because I use them once then off they go) I don't mess with a brush and lather as I find gels easier to use and gentler on my skin.

hardest thing is keeping the damn thing sharp enough not to grab skin.

Sounds like you're well on your way chris! W&B and the Dovo both look like solid blade in fairly good condition. The horn scales on the W&B are showing their age, and the blade has a bit of hone wear on the spine. It also has what appears to be an uneven honing on the blade (most likely due to the hone wear), but that's nothing serious. The nose on it looks oddly shaped to me though. It's possible that at some point it got a small chip and was re-ground, but I couldn't be sure without comparing it to my essentially NOS W&B. Still, a solid find for the price. It's probably reasonably sharp, but I personally never trust anything that someone else says is shave ready, probably because my definition of shave ready is very different from other peoples (I finish on a 30k or 60k glass stone, many stop at 8k or 12k).

But, if you look around on SRP you should be able to find someone near you who can get them shave ready for you.

Sounds like you're well on your way chris! W&B and the Dovo both look like solid blade in fairly good condition. The horn scales on the W&B are showing their age, and the blade has a bit of hone wear on the spine. It also has what appears to be an uneven honing on the blade (most likely due to the hone wear), but that's nothing serious. The nose on it looks oddly shaped to me though. It's possible that at some point it got a small chip and was re-ground, but I couldn't be sure without comparing it to my essentially NOS W&B. Still, a solid find for the price. It's probably reasonably sharp, but I personally never trust anything that someone else says is shave ready, probably because my definition of shave ready is very different from other peoples (I finish on a 30k or 60k glass stone, many stop at 8k or 12k).

But, if you look around on SRP you should be able to find someone near you who can get them shave ready for you.

Thanks man. Yeah, the Dovo is EXTREMELY sharp, and I think I can get it shave ready myself (gonna try to anyway) when I get my hone from Larry. The W&B will definitely need to be done by a pro, however, so I will be sending it off to Larry to get done. Just by looking at both blades straight down the edges, I can tell how much of a difference there is. My starter kit from Larry should be waiting for me when I get back "home" tomorrow evening, so I will have my first shave tomorrow night or Wednesday!

Oh and btw got a pic of your NOS W&B?? I'm already very jealous. The one I got is easily my favorite razor so far based off of looks alone, and I haven't even gotten the one from Larry yet!

Got my package from Whipped Dog yesterday. It came with a vintage JA Henckels Twin Works razor. The blade has a lot of black stuff on it, but it is honed with a nice edge. Scales are good condition, too.

I had my first shave and did two WTG passes. Didn't get very close on my chin and neck areas. Looks like I'll have to learn how to shave across my neck... Either way, had to finish up with my electric as it was just taking too long (spent over an hour doing it). I'll revisit it within the next couple days.

My Wade and Butcher has been sent off to be honed by Larry as well.

Yep, an hour. It was my first time! Lay off of meh. Haha. Definitely a good learning experience. That sharp-ass blade in your hand... Very intimidating.

Yeah Ty, I researched the black stuff and found out it was patina. Went to Walmart and picked up some Mothers. Should take care of it. Also picked up some mineral oil to wipe on my blades before storing away to prevent any future stuff from happening.

There's a black spot on the back (not the side with the engraving) of my Dovo... Gonna be extremely careful and see if Mothers won't get that off. Don't want to accidentally remove any if the black or gold on the blade.

Shave #2 will be tomorrow afternoon/evening! I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I will eventually, Hass. Right now I'm focusing on technique.

Lol Pavo. It's stressful enough having such a sharp open blade to my face- I don't want to add a camera to all that!