My Rant

Travis

Can someone tell me when in the hell the hookah community became so "Elite"?

Why is it when someone posts a thread asking for a pipe I.D. and it's ends up being a pipe that isn't typically considered top of the line (by someones? standards) the OP ends up getting rude comments back. That's just an example. Remember the Flip bowl? Now I was with the majority on that one, I didn't like the design, I didn't like the idea or the claims behind it, but some people had to take it to another level and bash people that used it and actually enjoyed it. I understand that the forum was spammed by people selling this product, I know the reason these bowls aren't exactly welcomed around here, but this is just another example.

I guess my main point is that I cannot fucking stand to read peoples posts that are bashing others based on what coals/tobacco/pipe they use. If you don't like what the OP posted, do you really think your helping that person out by bashing what they're using? Why not tell them why you don't favor that product in a constructive manner and offer an alternative based on your experiences.

What makes a Syrian pipe better than an Egyptian? The person using it. If you like Syrians, use Syrians. But that does not make them any "better" than Egyptian made pipes, or any other pipes for that matter. Same thing applies to every other aspect of what goes into smoking a hookah. 

Instead, some people chose to try and force feed newer users with what they think is the best "insert product here". I may be the only one, but as far as I'm concerned this hobby mostly comes down to user preference. Some things I use, others may not prefer, and vice versa. I don't understand why some people automatically think that they are better than someone, or know more than someone else does based on what their preferences are. 

Another example: There has been a lot of talk about the Kaloud Lotus lately. Now, do I think that the idea behind the Lotus is a good one? No. Am I ever going to use one? Probably not, but that doesn't give me a reason to bash people that chose to use it. I've read posts where people are resulting to acting like children because other users are using and praising a product that they do not like.

This is something that has bothered me for the longest time, but it seems to be getting worse lately. It may not bother some of you when people act this way, but it is one of my biggest pet peeves. If you honestly think you are "better at hookah" <--(actual quote from another forum) than someone because they are using a brand of charcoal that you don't like, then you are a bigot and we would be a lot better off if you just wouldn't post at all. I've seen users say someone is dumb because they use "x" brand coals over "y" brand coals. They aren't stupid, your ignorant. 

Nothing makes anything in the hookah industry "better" than anyone else. It's all preference. It's ALL preference. 

This rant doesn't really apply to this forum, mainly a certain other one. I have accounts on many different forums, but this is the only one I have ever posted on....for good reason. I've been a member here for a long time, and the users here are, for the most part, very polite and helpful in a respectful way. I've made quite a few friends here, some I talk to outside of the forum. Hell, I drove an hour from where I was to Cincinnati to hang out with Tyler. It wasnt really that out of my way but you get my point.

Lastly, this wasn't meant to be offensive to anyone in any way. Just something that has been bothering me lately. If you don't agree, or dont think I am making a point, then you are stupid for having your own opinion and not agreeing with mine.  :) (please god read that as a joke)

/rant

I have a feeling you're talking about another certain forum, and not ours (mostly anyway). :)

I totally agree with you. That's why when I'm recommending products, I try to be a bit broad and mention what all the good stuff is in various types. For example, I'll mention the top brands that are Egyptian, Syrian, Chinese, etc. I tell 'em that's what most people gave the best feedback on, and it is then for them to decide which appeals to them most, and get it. I love my Syrian hookahs the most, but I don't just give this answer when someone asks which hookah they should buy- "Al Nawras." Instead, I lay out their options and let them decide for themselves.

I may come off as elitist sometimes, but I'm just trying to help the newbies like I was helped when I first signed up on HF. I am forever in debt to this place for that, and it is why I try my best to do a good job modding here to help make it the best it can be.

Two things to say:
1. Yeah, not such a huge deal on this forum, though there are some moments when we could play a bit nicer, and we all know there is a certain someone (actually 2 people really) that really cares deeply about the terms used when referring to things :D But overall I think we tend to be quite constructive and not ultra dickish most of the time, just sometimes we come off a bit elitist cause everyone is talking from their standpoint and in a personal preference based hobby your own opinion is the most right one :P

2. Im not sure if its a typo on your end or a brilliant piece of comedy but "They aren't stupid, your ignorant. " made me lol.
that isnt meant as an insult or anything, just that in that very well put together post with pretty much perfect grammar that one mistake seems like either intentional or perfectly situated irony (courtesy of the universe) :D

Two things to say:
1. Yeah, not such a huge deal on this forum, though there are some moments when we could play a bit nicer, and we all know there is a certain someone (actually 2 people really) that really cares deeply about the terms used when referring to things :D But overall I think we tend to be quite constructive and not ultra dickish most of the time, just sometimes we come off a bit elitist cause everyone is talking from their standpoint and in a personal preference based hobby your own opinion is the most right one :P

2. Im not sure if its a typo on your end or a brilliant piece of comedy but "They aren't stupid, your ignorant. " made me lol.
that isnt meant as an insult or anything, just that in that very well put together post with pretty much perfect grammar that one mistake seems like either intentional or perfectly situated irony (courtesy of the universe) :D

Lol thanks Luka.

And that remark was definitely intended. My definition of the word "ignorant" is a bit different than the actual one haha. 

And like I said, this really wasn't directed mainly at the users on this forum. Though there are rare occasions, but that is to be expected to some extent I reckon'.

Ed Hardy Hookahs

Kingsford Coals

Starbuzz Shisha

Khalil Mammoon Starbuzz Hose

or :getout:

/sarcasm

I don't think we have that issue as much here. More. We really like this, here are more options, but you might want to avoid this.

Two things to say:

But I thought I was the only one!

actually, we do it here as well, we are just nicer about it generally. But we do have an elitist attitude around here. Now, having said that, it isn't always a bad thing. We know quality when we see it, and we know trash when we see it. We also know BS whenn we hear it and will respond accordingly. Nothing wrong with insisting on quality, it's really a question of how we express ourselves to others. Thats the part that could use some work, even around here.

actually, we do it here as well, we are just nicer about it generally. But we do have an elitist attitude around here. Now, having said that, it isn't always a bad thing. We know quality when we see it, and we know trash when we see it. We also know BS whenn we hear it and will respond accordingly. Nothing wrong with insisting on quality, it's really a question of how we express ourselves to others. Thats the part that could use some work, even around here.

^ This is what I was trying to say lol. 

And I'm not sure that Elitist may have been the correct term on my part. Rather "hookah snob"  or something along those lines. I just get tired of seeing people being put down because they haven't had a fair chance to try as many products as they should to determine what's good to THEM. Giving someone a guideline to go by is fine, just the snobby attitude doesn't do anyone any good, at least in my opinion.

I think what we have here is "human nature" how many people have you talked to that have said FORD = found on road dead. Some people will only by Heintz Ketchup (not catsup) we alway think what we like is the best and others be damned if they disagree. This is not unique to hookah. The best we can do is make people feel at home,give them as much insight as we can based on our expieriance and be respectful of opinions other than our own. I took a lot of flack for liking the mya standard bowl and not jumping on the phunnel band wagon but then I got to thinking who is smoking my hookah...thats right ME and I am the only one that matters at that point. As long as opinion isn't stated as fact and we are kind I think we can all get along.

Ray

• 5 months later...

Glad to see things haven't changed.

We go through it periodically.  Mush smacks us around a bit and we're over it.  People who insist on it don't stay around long.  Human nature I suppose.  But I'm finding that the stress of everything that's going on in the world - no money, bad foods, a black president, gay marriage changes and so on are bringing out what seems to be more frustration and hate than usual.  Guess everybody needs to remind themselves what a waste of time arrogance and hate is.  About everything.

'Rani

Certain amounts of hoohah elitism/snobbery are always gonna be present like I said in my first post in this thread due to personal preferences and stuff, I will admit though that lately a lot of the forum regulars (myself included to an extent) have been way into turkish and syrian pipes and some judgement on "lesser" brands has been expressed. Ill add to that though, that a vast majority of it is very much opinion expressing posts and not much "hating" directly blasted at anyone/anything.