Hookah Supply Monthly Subscription Idea, Thoughts?

Please reply!!!
I asked Reddit on Sunday and received great feedback, however this forum would REALLY help me validate this idea I have. What would your guys opinion be of a monthly fee subscription service (a la Netflix or Birchbox of Hookah) that shipped you shisha/coals, supplies, products, and trials once a month. The cost would be tiered starting at 25$ per month or two/three flexible payment options.

Also, along with a bunch of new brands/flavors to try, you can receive one or two special value-adding gifts on top such as hoses, bowls, bearings, tongs, hole poker, and the like. Fun holiday-themed packages (maybe a small ugly xmas sweater for your hookah base!?), and more.

Would you be interested in it? If so, what amount of supply of coals/shish would be worth it at what price points? This isn't to replace your current hookah purchasing, it's to add a cool little boxed present shipped once a month to your doorstep with as many trials I can persuade companies to give you and is financially viable to purchase.

I'd also like to mention... if there was interest here I would build it hand-in-hand with you guys and what you want. I have smoked since high school (~9 years - I should see a physician probably) and am an enthusiast as you. Smoking some fumari as I type this.

Thanks for feedback! Edited by mushrat
Sorry, you are not a paid vendor so you don't get to post links for your product.

Didn't bassem do this a while back?

Theres a good reason he isnt around anymore.

On another note, I think this is a good enough idea. Especially for people that are just beginning to get into the world/hobby of smoking shisha. 

BUT, I suggest you make more of a name for yourself around here, otherwise people will be hesitant to give you their hard earned dollars. Hopefully you understand that, There are a few of us around here that have been burned from time to time. 

Edit: Would this be considered a group buy of some sort? Those aren't allowed on this forum because of a former mishap. Just a thought, I'd like to hear what the moderating staff has to say about it. Still, I don't think this is a bad idea, given certain circumstances. 

Also, the fact that you have no head freaks me out. 

Hey, thanks for the reply! I looked around and didn't see any competitors, and I'm sure people have tried or thought of a monthly supply but this is more of a present delivered to your house of goodies to try with partners look forward to reaching out to. In that, I want to create a bunch of small samples to try on top of current hookah purchasing as a supplement to current sheesh purchases.

Theres a good reason he isnt around anymore.

On another note, I think this is a good enough idea. Especially for people that are just beginning to get into the world/hobby of smoking shisha. 

BUT, I suggest you make more of a name for yourself around here, otherwise people will be hesitant to give you their hard earned dollars. Hopefully you understand that, There are a few of us around here that have been burned from time to time. 

Edit: Would this be considered a group buy of some sort? Those aren't allowed on this forum because of a former mishap. Just a thought, I'd like to hear what the moderating staff has to say about it. Still, I don't think this is a bad idea, given certain circumstances. 

Also, the fact that you have no head freaks me out. 

Baha, not sure if I can switch the cropping on my pic. We'll just go with Mr. no head.

I am a computer/tech dork and definitely understand the hierarchy and trust on forums. That is also a reason why I posted on Reddit first, although it is a smaller community, I have been a member for over a year and have gone into the tinychats there. As for trust, all I can do is build it and this is my start point... I don't have anything to "sell", rather, want your feedback before I invest time and money into something I want to enjoy myself. I am not requesting any cash and currently only have a preorder news mailing list that I created after the Reddit feedback. As for trust as well.. I am a continuous entrepreneur and have a background in two startups previously. One is ticketometer.com which we are in the process of selling, and reunitID.com which I disbanded due to a "page view" business model.

As for group buying. I don't think it does and will completely abide by any rules Mods have in place, however, I am not looking to collect everyone's money to divy up for sheesh orders and group-savings. I want to see if there is interest in a really cool subscription and community driven partnership that attracts manufacturers to supply the members with samples and swag - also increase the value per $ and get the opportunity to try new things at a low cost.

Any suggestions or thoughts you may have, I would greatly appreciate at these stages! I am just ramping up my thoughts on the model and premium product I want to put out.

I think the questions you've asked  (what we're willing to shell out for what products) is a bit vague. I think a better idea, especially as a FIRST thread would be an introduction, definitely not proposing your business plan.

no offense intended.. consider it constructive criticism. Nobody gets anywhere by starting off with business tactics. An introduction is ALWAYS first.

With that said.... It would also be more appealing (coming from a possible consumers standpoint) to hear about the OFFERS you have.. not what I'd like to pay for whatever in the world. Because.. if it were up to me, the consumer, I'd like to pay $5 for overnight delivery of 1 pipe every week, 500g of 2 different flavors, 1 box of razan coals, 1 new hose that will compliment the new pipe, etc....

We (hookah enthusiests) can be pretty picky.. and without some sort of guided idea of what YOU have to offer, we'll probably just ignore what you have to say, unless you specify what it is you're offering.

so what nate said, coming off strong regardless of who you are in other places. reddit is more where this topic should stay if ur built in the community. did you go spam other forms with the same stuff?

But the idea is there, but you need to understand what everyone wants.  Just because you smoke for 9 years doesn't know you know what is gonna go down with everyone else, you might like starbuzz someone else might like fantasia.  So now that you brough this up, it gives me just a mind blowing amount of ideas that i might need to talk to nate about :)

• Upvote 1

Also, I'm pretty sure there is a legality issue somewhere in this idea. While most supplies don't require any special type of license to repackage/sell, tobacco does. If your taking payment in exchange for tobacco that could pose a problem. Will you get caught if you go through with this idea? Probably not, but the consequences may be too high for the "crime".

Also, how would you accept payment? Paypal? Cashiers Check? Bank transfer? There are legal issues with using certain payment processing methods when it comes to purchasing tobacco also. If you want to be 100% legal and not have to worry about the law bringing you down, I'm not sure it would be worth it in the long run. But, this is your idea, I'm not trying to sound like an ass and put you down. Just some things to think about. 

Like I said, There may be an interest in this, mainly from newer users. But I'm guessing that around here your not going to find much market. Most everyone here pretty much knows what works for them. 

Another thought, Maybe try and limit what your sending out each month. Try "different types of coals" or "different types of bowls" something like that. Like Jess said, surprises when it comes to money usually isn't very welcomed. Maybe if people had some sort of general idea of what they would be receiving, then they would be more inclined to participate.

My bottom line, there may be interest, but not likely from around here. But that's my opinion, if others feel differently then they can chime in. 

And like Nate said, no offense intended, consider it constructive criticism. It's always wise to talk out these kind of ideas with other people so you can find out what will or will not work with it. Especially if money is involved.

Good luck though, I can see you have an entrepreneur-esque thing going on.

This topic has been discussed on the forum before and it was concluded it just wouldn't work out very well. Hookah is VERY subjective- What one person loves, another will most certainly hate. But hey, if you find that you could make it a viable business plan, then go for it. :)

Well, ya, to repackage a tobacco product I believe there are a few Federal Licenses involved. You might want to check into that before you get yourself into trouble. Frankly, I trust very few people to pick out my hookah supplies. How would you work this in terms of product? Would YOU make purchases of products from suppliers and then divvy them up among your subscribers? Would you hit up suppliers for free stuff and then turn around and send those free things out as a promotion for those companies? for $25 bucks a month I'd be talking 250g's of stuff, not just little samples. Even at wholesale prices, something I'm quite familiar with, after shipping you would have little left for your efforts if you were going to be giving people any sort of value for their money.

Have you worked out any sort of cost/profit spreadsheet to show what you could spend vs what you could make or are you just working off the cuff here because it would be a cool idea?

Remember, people with nothing at stake in an idea are not the people to ask if it's a good idea if you think about it.

And yes, we have seen this idea a few times before and I don't think anyone has ever actually managed to make it a working concept.

Sorry but there is my .02 as someone who owned a hookah shop.

I think the questions you've asked  (what we're willing to shell out for what products) is a bit vague. I think a better idea, especially as a FIRST thread would be an introduction, definitely not proposing your business plan.

no offense intended.. consider it constructive criticism. Nobody gets anywhere by starting off with business tactics. An introduction is ALWAYS first.

With that said.... It would also be more appealing (coming from a possible consumers standpoint) to hear about the OFFERS you have.. not what I'd like to pay for whatever in the world. Because.. if it were up to me, the consumer, I'd like to pay $5 for overnight delivery of 1 pipe every week, 500g of 2 different flavors, 1 box of razan coals, 1 new hose that will compliment the new pipe, etc....

We (hookah enthusiests) can be pretty picky.. and without some sort of guided idea of what YOU have to offer, we'll probably just ignore what you have to say, unless you specify what it is you're offering.

Hey Mustang, I'll definitely keep it posted about offers as they develop. Currently I am in the beginning stages of reaching out to manufacturers/wholesalers/etc. I understand the picky, which is why the products would need to have a controlled standard and the website would need reviews/feedback. One idea from a Redditor was to have the reviews be social, where if you and John Doe like the same flavor, his reviews impact what's in your box.

As for introduction, forum communities are so different in every space and it's difficult to "break" into them without close friends repping you. I'm sure I would have messed up with any introduction, but as for myself I am a 25 year old living in Las Vegas. I currently have a "corporate" job while I start businesses. I try to get wasted at least once a week with my schedule.

I have a feeling I would wind up with a box of Hypnosis every month. Honestly I don't really see the point in paying for surprises, and I doubt most of it I would even want to smoke. 

That is definitely a response I would expect. This wouldn't be for everyone. I think for beginners/intermediate smokers it is a great way to try out and see what they like from "experts" that pick and choose the quality for them. As for more advanced smokers, which my addiction probably includes myself in this category, I feel we get caught into the same brands and flavors over and over. While there are flavors and brands that are shit, the market of shish in America is constantly changing, as well as, smaller companies trying to break into the mold targeting a "premium" market.

so what nate said, coming off strong regardless of who you are in other places. reddit is more where this topic should stay if ur built in the community. did you go spam other forms with the same stuff?

But the idea is there, but you need to understand what everyone wants.  Just because you smoke for 9 years doesn't know you know what is gonna go down with everyone else, you might like starbuzz someone else might like fantasia.  So now that you brough this up, it gives me just a mind blowing amount of ideas that i might need to talk to nate about :)

As I mentioned to Nate, forums are always different in how the community is and what's cool or not. I did not mean to come off strong, and for that I apologize, it's like visiting a country and not understanding their customs. I also did not spam any other forums... just looking for your guys opinions and ideas since you'd be the crew to give it.

With my apology, what are your thoughts on a monthly box with varied samples in it? I'd really be interested in as many opinions as I can get. I see you own a hookah lounge so you also understand more into the business of things.

Also, I'm pretty sure there is a legality issue somewhere in this idea. While most supplies don't require any special type of license to repackage/sell, tobacco does. If your taking payment in exchange for tobacco that could pose a problem. Will you get caught if you go through with this idea? Probably not, but the consequences may be too high for the "crime".

Also, how would you accept payment? Paypal? Cashiers Check? Bank transfer? There are legal issues with using certain payment processing methods when it comes to purchasing tobacco also. If you want to be 100% legal and not have to worry about the law bringing you down, I'm not sure it would be worth it in the long run. But, this is your idea, I'm not trying to sound like an ass and put you down. Just some things to think about. 

Like I said, There may be an interest in this, mainly from newer users. But I'm guessing that around here your not going to find much market. Most everyone here pretty much knows what works for them. 

Another thought, Maybe try and limit what your sending out each month. Try "different types of coals" or "different types of bowls" something like that. Like Jess said, surprises when it comes to money usually isn't very welcomed. Maybe if people had some sort of general idea of what they would be receiving, then they would be more inclined to participate.

My bottom line, there may be interest, but not likely from around here. But that's my opinion, if others feel differently then they can chime in. 

And like Nate said, no offense intended, consider it constructive criticism. It's always wise to talk out these kind of ideas with other people so you can find out what will or will not work with it. Especially if money is involved.

Good luck though, I can see you have an entrepreneur-esque thing going on.

Hey Travis, I'll go down the list of questions. These are really important issues and I thank you for asking them.

1. As for legality, I am in no way proposing to do something not on the books. If I find people want this and want to see the brand grow, everything will be done with a lawyer and an LLC.

2. Currently I have a business bank account I may link to it from my previous start up, but would consider other means of credit card processing to minimize % they take. It would be a reoccurring charge, so cashiers checks and even paypal would probably not be suitable. Without taking unnecessary risk, I would love to include paypal (prepay 3mo?) or even something like Bitcoin.

3. I have considered putting a "preferences" check on the monthly sub, so if you need a bowl, it'll probably come with one, or if you want a focus on shish, it'll come like that. They couldn't be too specific since I would only create more manual labor for myself, and with the amount of shipping we're talking about it would be difficult not to screw up orders of closed boxes. I'm sure I could would out a balance and system if that is the want, which it seems it could be.

thanks for the closing thoughts and compliments, although entrepreneurs get themselves in trouble more times than not. Your guys feedback is really important. I know too many people that get stuck financially, emotionally, and more on startups that were doomed from day 1. It is also very interesting meet and learn as much as I already have about this community and will be around  :)

This topic has been discussed on the forum before and it was concluded it just wouldn't work out very well. Hookah is VERY subjective- What one person loves, another will most certainly hate. But hey, if you find that you could make it a viable business plan, then go for it. :)

Thanks Chreees. Let's say, you only got the things you liked, via a preferences list or your box only came with shish from brands you specifically bought from. Would that be interesting to you? It's interesting because I have met people that smoke $100+ monthly in shisha that love the idea to break the mold of their habits, and people that smoke <$20 per month that only one two flavors. I'm wondering if there was a happy medium that even you would look twice at?

Well, ya, to repackage a tobacco product I believe there are a few Federal Licenses involved. You might want to check into that before you get yourself into trouble. Frankly, I trust very few people to pick out my hookah supplies. How would you work this in terms of product? Would YOU make purchases of products from suppliers and then divvy them up among your subscribers? Would you hit up suppliers for free stuff and then turn around and send those free things out as a promotion for those companies? for $25 bucks a month I'd be talking 250g's of stuff, not just little samples. Even at wholesale prices, something I'm quite familiar with, after shipping you would have little left for your efforts if you were going to be giving people any sort of value for their money.

Have you worked out any sort of cost/profit spreadsheet to show what you could spend vs what you could make or are you just working off the cuff here because it would be a cool idea?

Remember, people with nothing at stake in an idea are not the people to ask if it's a good idea if you think about it.

And yes, we have seen this idea a few times before and I don't think anyone has ever actually managed to make it a working concept.

Sorry but there is my .02 as someone who owned a hookah shop.

Awesome questions! Legally I will need to work it out with a lawyer, which is why asking people for their opinion is so important before I spend cash.

Originally, I would be making the purchases and trying to get a company off the ground. However, I think a great idea has been socialized reviews and purchases meaning... if I like a similar brand as you, our likes will influence each other's box. I'd be transparent as much as possible to show who influenced the picks you received. The other would be a preferences selections. However, I aim this to be more interesting than just a delivery dropoff. Let's say you like Fumari, and you receive three samples with a recipe card instructing how to mix Banana-nut bread or fruit loops. Stuff like that.

You basically hit the nail on the head with how to obtain the products. Wholesale, manufacture partnerships, promotional samples, etc. If this is viable, over time as a brand develops and relations grow I would expect to gain more leverage in negotiations for my members.

About the spreadsheets, my background is in operational finance and am definitely looking at the excel model. If I can't provide enough value on month 1, and members unsub, then I failed. Another great question/suggestion. Many business or sales people say "talk to your customer, talk to you customer", which is actually bullshit, They'll either hate you or blow smoke up your ass. What I am trying to do with an idea is engage people (obviously in my target market) and see IF i even would have a customer. Would you be willing to discuss your experiences with wholesale sometime?

Edited by Ardon Lukasiewicz

I try to get wasted at least once a week with my schedule.

Thanks Chreees. Let's say, you only got the things you liked, via a preferences list or your box only came with shish from brands you specifically bought from. Would that be interesting to you? It's interesting because I have met people that smoke $100+ monthly in shisha that love the idea to break the mold of their habits, and people that smoke <$20 per month that only one two flavors. I'm wondering if there was a happy medium that even you would look twice at?

To the bolded statement... You'll fit in just fine here. ;)

As for the response: If you carried Tangiers and Nakhla brands for tobacco and coconut coals like Coconaras, Cocomazayas, or Razans, then I'd try your service out. These brands are pretty much what I've narrowed down to these days, and I have little interest trying brands that mimic Starbuzz more or less.

If you do decide to set up your business, feel free to take a look at our advertising packages here: http://www.hookahforum.com/store/category/2-advertising-packages/ We have a great community here that is always open to try new things. :)

I try to get wasted at least once a week with my schedule.

To the bolded statement... You'll fit in just fine here. ;)

As for the response: If you carried Tangiers and Nakhla brands for tobacco and coconut coals like Coconaras, Cocomazayas, or Razans, then I'd try your service out. These brands are pretty much what I've narrowed down to these days, and I have little interest trying brands that mimic Starbuzz more or less.

If you do decide to set up your business, feel free to take a look at our advertising packages here: http://www.hookahforum.com/store/category/2-advertising-packages/ We have a great community here that is always open to try new things. :)

Hey thanks man! I am in the same boat with Tangiers and Nahklah. The smoke shop near my house specifically buys peach and cherry Nahklah for me since no one carries it anymore. My goal would be to make something really special, and grow from there. The members would be cool people I have a lot in common with, and I think it'd reflect a big section of the hookah market itself (or at least the trendsetters). I would try to produce something for that group, as well as, give a great service to hookah smokers all over that have never had certain brands and flavors (the bros?, college students, etc).

Regardless of how this goes, you seem like a really cool guy and would make a great addition to the forum. I hope you decide to stick around. 

That was really kind, thanks man! I really do plan on getting more involved in posts around here, it's fun and I have a lot to learn.
+1 Matt & Travis. Appreciate it

Also, whats the best way to subscribe to the forums on my phone?

Missed commenting on the advertising. I have nothing to advertise right now, but already can say I'd be a committed supporter if Shishbox is steady. I was looking into it already since I noticed the banners.

I might be wrong but some of you older members might remember, didnt neil try to do this and got in a lot of trouble?

I'd be interested to hear about this. Especially whether it was a company setup for it or just kinda a side business he tried.

The only way to do this legally and not get slapped by state and federal agencies is this....

Shisha of the month club:

Each month send out set samples 500g- Kilo in ORIGINAL MANUFACTURER PACKAGING, UNOPENED.

January - Fantasia

February - Nakhla

March - Tangiers

....etc.

Once you open the package and try to divide it up or resell it , you open yourself to a whole HELL of trouble.

Yes Derek, Neil got slapped super hard on that one, ended up pleading out to avoid jail time but paid a high fine.

I might be wrong but some of you older members might remember, didnt neil try to do this and got in a lot of trouble?

I'd be interested to hear about this. Especially whether it was a company setup for it or just kinda a side business he tried.

He was a ligetimate vender breaking up Tangiers packages of 250 into 50g samples and selling them.... Nevada Tobacco Agency found out... 6 months later he closed down and had to reapply for licensing in California.

I have a feeling I would wind up with a box of Hypnosis every month. Honestly I don't really see the point in paying for surprises, and I doubt most of it I would even want to smoke. 

My thoughts exactly. I've tried the majority of the flavors I might be interested in the brands that I know I like, so unless this service let me fill out a form of what I have had and what I enjoyed and then sent me things based on those, I can't see that I would ever want it. I just go to whatever online vendor and order exactly what I want. Easy peasy. I order at least 4kg every time I order, so the shipping costs don't even factor in for me.

He was a ligetimate vender breaking up Tangiers packages of 250 into 50g samples and selling them.... Nevada Tobacco Agency found out... 6 months later he closed down and had to reapply for licensing in California.

That is really good to know. I'll look a bit more into it, but I would assume for legal reasons it is exactly as you describe.

what i think would be cool is you would get between 250-500g of tobacco and a box of coals or some accessory, you make a wishlist and then when something on the wishlist is available it gets sent out once a month...is this kinda what youre looking at? the problem then would be that a lot of people want to try tangiers but like neils problem..cant break it up to small pieces. thats definitely something to look at.