Hey Guys, Question On Heat Management. Teach Me Your Ways (;

1st, the bowl is too big for the top of hookah? You are using the little plastic/rubber gasket that came with the hookah, Right? Post a pic so We are on the same page.

For the heat, what tobacco are you smoking? Most likely you will need 2 or 3 Coco Ultimates. Start with 2, if it's not giving you enough smoke put the 3rd one on. if it makes you cough, take a coal off.

If 2 is not enough but 3 is too much, you can stand the 3 coals up on their small sides or put a wind cover over 2 coals. How big is your Egyptian bowl? Mine are pretty big, so that's why I say 2 or 3 coals, you may need 1 or 2 if it's a regular size bowl. Start with 1, then go to 2 then go to 3... You'll figure it out.

I will agree with mush. Take a look around the forums for sure and ask if youre wondering about something more specific take a photo of your bowl maybe, but in the lon run youre only gonna get it down with trial and error. Everyone kinda does their own thing and it seems like everyone kinda finds their own way... The only thing I would say is with heat its always better to add more slowly and find the balance you want than to start hot and burn your bowl!

On a side note, big problem beginners have is confusing air flow with heat management. You might have way too much heat on a bowl and think you need more due to a lack of air flow. use a toothpick to guide a path from the hole in the foil to the holes in your bowl. This will help ensure that a lack of airflow isn't remedied by an overcompensation of heat.
â€
​‹
​Assuming your airflow isn't the issue, here are some preferences I like to use.. I love using three coals standing upright (tombstone style). This ensures even heating along with a smaller amount of heat on the bowl at any given time. Using three halves produces the same result with shorter coal life.
â€
â€If there's still an issue, I would agree with the above and say look around for tutorials on heat management pertinent to the shisha you are using. Not to plug, but there are a few videos up on my/claytronmean's youtube channel going over heat management for specific shisha brands, doubletroublehookahreview.com.
â€
​Be sure to keep us updated.‹ 

Not 100% sure I am addressing what you are talking about, but the bowl being "too big" on the hookah sounds like you need a new grommet.

I remember when I had my vortex bowl a while ago I didnt realize the grommet size was different. Check out "MOD" grommets, they are wider than the traditional thin grommets made for bowls such as Egyptians and Funnels.

http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-6287-hookah-bowl-grommets.html

(Not saying you have to buy from H-S, but they give a good picture on differences)