Pre Packing Bowls?

I have my lazy days, and ill want to smoke but i just can't bring my self to go through some of the motions all at once (Typing this out i now realize i sound like the real life embodiment of Snorlax .-. lovely) And i was curious if anyone had experience with filling a bowl ahead of time, how long it is good to leave it in a reasonably cool dark place?

Obviously you can't pack a bowl in October and smoke it in April; But i have heard so many stories of people snuffing bowls and getting the back going the next day even, and even days after. So this begs the question, how long is it reasonably good to leave a bowl in a safe, cool, dark place until you are ready to smoke it without it going bad or just drying out in general. Also any advice on whether or not putt aforementioned bowl in a Tupperware container would be best.

you can leave most brands out, such as Nak and AF even SB (if that is you smoke that crap) and so on. I have come back to a bowl about a week later and still have it fine but with tangiers you would have to be careful since it being out could dry it out more and cause a large number of issues. But yes if its only a few days per week (of you being snorlax, loved the comparison btw lol) and you back one or two bowls before hand on a day you are feeling active then you should be fine.

I've come back to a pre-smoked bowl up to a week later and haf a good smoke with AF. I have to imagine it would be fine for up at least a week given that you aren't planning on smoking it before you let it sit.

If I did it on purpose in an Egyptian bowl. I would lay it on its side to prevent juice leakage. or maybe upside down with out poking holes in the foil unitl smoke time.

[quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1358457870' post='568876']
if its a phunnel type bowl, pack it, foil it, wrap it in saran wrap, put it on the shelf. A bowl with holes under the tobacco, might be a bit trickier.
[/quote]

This. I wouldn't try it with any bowl other than a phunnel.

I can see how it might be good to go ahead and pack your phunnel bowl if you're heading to a party, and don't feel like taking the tobacco and foil with you. You just take the packed bowl, and poke holes in the foil when you get to the party. Also saves you from having to get your hands dirty.

Of course, this will only work well if you know beforehand what flavor to smoke/what flavor your friends are going to want to smoke...

[quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1358512592' post='568936']
I pack what I wanna smoke if I'M bringing the tobacco. :D
[/quote]
My method is to pick flavors I like that many people don't like, that way noone wants to smoke your hookah!
  • Upvote 1

Can't you just foil it all the way around so its sealed and then store it upside down?

I prepack Tangiers bowls sometimes maybe like 30minutes to 2hrs before I smoke. I just turn it upside down and then when I want to poke the holes I turn it right side up for a few minutes then poke the holes. Tangiers juices settle quicker usually so there is a risk that it will not turn out as you want it too...

But if they aren't huge shifts in climate and you are able to keep the juices distributed in the tobacco well enough then it should be fine.

I have packed a vortex bowl on monday and put one coal on one side and smoked for an hour.repeat putting the new days coal on the quarter turn until I have made it around the bowl by thurs. so I get 4 (45min) smokes out of a bowl that I only had to pack once.

Usually I smoke two bowls per night so what I do is when I'm leaving my smoking area, I pack a bowl so the next day I come in I just have to poke holes and throw it on top of my hookah, then I pack the second bowl. Once that second bowl is done I pack the bowl to get ready for the next day, meh just my little habit I guess

I dont personally like doing this but i have. I have packed bowls (in phunnels of course) and not smoked it for like 2-3 days but they were wraped in foil. so it is fine but over a week i would just not be that lazy.

I have a girlfriend that does something weird that claims to work for her in her regular smoking that would lend itself to prepacking. Never tried it myself, so try it at your risk. She takes a square of tinfoil, drops a dollop of tobacco in it and twists it up into a little pillow. She then pokes holes all over the little pillow, drops it into the bowl and drops hot coal on top. She swears it works perfectly for her every time. She started using this method to have less clean up on the bowl. Claims she got the idea from making tinfoil wrapped dinner. She smokes Nakhla primarily along with occasional Fantasia, and I know she uses coconut coals. Like I said, I've never tried it because I don't mind packing bowls and just never got around to trying her method. But if it works, I could see preparing the little tinfoil pillows way ahead of time.

'Rani

Awesome, 'Rani! I'm kind of tempted to try that with my lychee now.. I'd only be worried about air flow and pulling too much coal like.. around the pillow and sucking straight coal lol. But I kind of want to try this out to see... hmmm

Heres what I would do if I were doing the pillow. I'd make a pillow to fill the bowl. Round on the bottom and flat on the top.

When its time to smoke, put the pillow in the bowl and poke up through the bottom of the bowl to poke holes on the bottom of the pillow. That way the bottom holes line up with the bowl holes. Poke holes on top like normal and smoke.