How To: Light Natural Coals In 3 Minutes Or Less!

thehelios

We're going to use ancient technology and make a nice shiny foil hat for our stove top!

What you need:

Some natural coals
Coil burner
Aluminum foil

1. Get a large sheet of foil and make it into a large cone or teepee (large base and hole up top). The thicker the sheet, the better! The base should be just wide enough to sit firmly on the outside of the coil.
2. Turn on your stove and let it get red hot
3. Place coals on burner
4. Place the foil hat on top
5. Watch your coals get red hot in record time!

Note: Not sure if coals will heat up faster if the top of the foil cover is open or closed. Anyone who knows physics know the real answer?

Super important note: DO NOT leave the stove top turned on with the foil on top for an extended amount of time (Guessing 10+ minutes) as it starts to get stupidly hot and will start to peel the heat resistant paint on the coil burner. This will produce some crazy noxious fumes which are for sure poisonous and will make your room smell like crap for a couple days. I learned this the hard way. <_<

I've gotten my Leonara coals to be fully lit in 2 minutes and 30 seconds with this method. Normally, they take about 8-10 minutes.

this works in scenarios where you dont have a burner, you can use a metal grill, put tealight candles underneath , do this, bam, coals actually light, however as said before, extended amounts of time + this = DOOM.

[quote name='Bawhee' timestamp='1357479827' post='567379']
this works in scenarios where you dont have a burner, you can use a metal grill, put tealight candles underneath , do this, bam, coals actually light, however as said before, extended amounts of time + this = DOOM.
[/quote]

Other than some obvious reasons for doom what where your specific dooms?

got so hot in there the wax started evaporating on its own... not just the wick, the entire candle was on fire, there were three of them, aluminum foil started burning due to wax fumes being stuck to it... ah, good times.

Incasing that much heat, how long will the coil burner last? I rotate my coals on the burner as I light them. I use to go through burners about 1 every year at least. This one has last me 2 and still going!

[quote name='Skoozle' timestamp='1357766547' post='567943']
How about just using a wind cover?
[/quote]

If you want to deal with a red hot wind cover, be my guest. I suggest foil as it can be taken off with your bare hands and cools down quickly.

Actually, now I want to see a red hot wind cover. :blink:

[quote name='thehelios' timestamp='1357776756' post='567978']
[quote name='Skoozle' timestamp='1357766547' post='567943']
How about just using a wind cover?
[/quote]

If you want to deal with a red hot wind cover, be my guest. I suggest foil as it can be taken off with your bare hands and cools down quickly.

Actually, now I want to see a red hot wind cover. :blink:
[/quote]

I'll just handle it with my tongs like I do when it's red hot from sitting over a bowl of coal.

I might give this a try next time I smoke. If it glows red, I'll take some pics or a video for you.

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1357780163' post='567996']
Hmmm... Who was the guy who did the video of lighting his foil windcover on fire?
[/quote]

Wtf? How does that happen?

I can't remember who it was, but whatever they were trying to do resulted in the entire top of their hookah going up in flames. It was hilarious. Anyone remember this??

EDIT: Found it! It was S3cretz. http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/43755-the-candle-thing-it-doesnt-work/ But he deleted the vid... :(

• 3 weeks later...