Official Smoking in a College Dorm thread

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you get in trouble because:

a ) you live in a non-smoking dorm?
b ) the lit coal is a considered a fire hazard in the school handbook?
c ) the RA's are under the false impression that you are smoking something illegal?

If it's a or b, then you just have to make sure not to get caught, or maybe smoke outdoors. If it's c, tell the RA's to piss off and to go educate themselves on what hookah is (or you could be nice and patiently explain it to them.) Edited by tingjunkie

Never tried it, out of respect for my roommate, who is a good friend of mine, but I've contemplated it.

What's the worst that could happen? Res-life violation, and I have to put up a bulletin board. Whoop-di-frickin-do.

I was cool with my RAs. We let them in on our 16 man Halo 2 Sessions so he didnt care that I was smoking in my room. I still had the door closed and what not but they just didnt bother me about it.

I'm going to try to smoke in my dorm since my R.A. has been missing the past two months or so (new boyfriend we think).

Smoking hookah on my campus is tricky. My friend was smoking it outside, 25ft away from all buildings and it was confiscated from him and he was charged for using "obscure" drugs.

So, I'm planning on cracking the window open and covering the smoke detector.

We aren't allowed to have incense either. The first day this year, my R.A. ran down the hall searching every room for the person who was burning them.
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (web250 @ Jan 16 2007, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Never tried it, out of respect for my roommate, who is a good friend of mine, but I've contemplated it.

What's the worst that could happen? Res-life violation, and I have to put up a bulletin board. Whoop-di-frickin-do.

HAHA!

Wow--same punishment at our college. I think we had a sex one a while ago about the ever inventive ways to use saran wrap.

That or you have to do rounds with the R.A.'s from 9pm-2am on Friday and Saturday.

I don't know about you guys with your tootsie wrappers and saran wrap...

but I'm a true hookah man at heart............foil FTW!!!!!!

jk, thats wouldn't stay on well, or be quite pleasureable for that matter, lol.

As for not getting caught, if your worried about about smoke smells, just use one of these....

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/326977/how_to_make_a_sploof/

it was for smoking in a non smoking dorm room. Im cool with most of the R.A.s but got unlucky with a few i didnt know. O well, we packed another bowl after they left lol

QUOTE (web250 @ Jan 16 2007, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (SaraDunn @ Jan 16 2007, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't do that. Many detectors know when they've been covered, and will go off.

You've either been listening to too many college dorm RA's or you've been very unlucky. I've seen and heard of tons of covered smoke detectors, and never once has one "known" it was covered. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it might be quite difficult for a smoke detector to actually determine that it had been covered.

QUOTE (mgcsinc @ Jan 17 2007, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You've either been listening to too many college dorm RA's or you've been very unlucky. I've seen and heard of tons of covered smoke detectors, and never once has one "known" it was covered. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it might be quite difficult for a smoke detector to actually determine that it had been covered.

There's many different types of smoke detectors...do a quick search, this has been discussed before

It's a pretty horrible thing to do (oh and it PISSES the living hell out of my dorm mates and me) but pop popcorn while you're doing it...like two or three bags.

That'll cover the smell, and it might piss people off, but no one will know who was popping it.

I love the wet towel idea--I'm going to use that. Edited by SaraDunn

Nah, I had a maggot infestation in my room earlier this year.
I had to cover the detector when I was bombing it and it was fine.
smile.gif

My school is very nice in some respects, but it doesn't really give a shit about building conditions.

i cover my detector for awhile but then jus gave up, it takes a lot more than hookah smoke to set one off. I wish my windows would open. I like the whole pop some popcorn idea to cover the smell

• 2 years later...
[quote name='Zinite' date='10 January 2010 - 09:48 PM' timestamp='1263181736' post='444441']
Why is this pinned?
[/quote]

Extremely good question.