Grape

azcoyote

Al Waha Grape

After 2xapple, this the second least favored of the stash I got from Steve. Now that I have better hookah technique, it's really been a pleasure to smoke. Good thing. I've got a six tubs of the shite.

Setup:
34" Egytian rotator with ice cold well water.

Bowl:
Large Phunnel, filled to the gunnels. A six hour load, I'd guess.

Coals:
2 jap styles broken in halves and placed around rim.

Amount of tobacco in bowl:
approximately 30 g. loosely dropped into place.

Reynold's heavy foil with three concentric circles of holes 1/4" apart. No center hole.

A 2" t-pin ( a piece of wire will also work) inserted across the hole under the foil - inproves air flow!

Homemade foil "wind cover" for heat management.

Appearance 8/10 Smell 7.5/10

Juicey and fragrant, few stems. Smell reminds me of grape jelley candies or Welches concord juice.

Weather conditions: 10/10
You could make beef jerky today just hanging it up to dry. I love Arizona. It's 79 degrees; today is Dec 7th.

Smoke Flavor: 8.5/10
Very fruity and frangant of grape. It takes a bit of time for the sour flavor to come on, until then the taste is a bit cloying. It may take 15 minutes for the tartness to fully develop, but when it does this stuff is amazingly good.

Smoke thickness: 9/10
Lots and lots of white clouds.

Buzz: Average AW 9/10

Heat Mananagement:
Use as little heat as possible but enough to work! and move the coals around. When they burn down, use a cover to keep the heat in instead of adding more fresh coals.

Overall: 8.5/10
A fruity grape flavor that's unmistakable. I would rate it a 9.5 if the tartness was there from the beginning. Like a good stew, it's seems even better the next day. I expect to get three or four session out of this bowl. Two down. Two to go.

• 4 months later...
Al Waha Grape

Appearance: most dry tobacco i've seen. I had to use glycerin.

Coals: 1 3K QL coal (the usual for me)

Smell: smells like grapes just like the flavor.

Taste: Awesome flavor and tasted exactly like grapes. Too bad it doesn't last long.

Buzz: none whatsovever

Overall: The smell was wonderful and it produced decent clouds although the flavor dies out after only 30 minutes or so.

7.5/10. Edited by Gaara

• 6 months later...
Al Waha Grape

Setup: 32" Triple Hose blocked to One hose Hookah, Regular Clay Glazed Bowl - Note, larger hookah reduce the carbon monoxide content of the smoke, they are healthier but do not provide the same buzz. You might notice when smoking a small hookah that you get a stronger head rush, this is due to the fact that the carbon monoxide from the coal is much more concentrated in smaller hookahs because it doesnt have to travel as far.

Cut: No stems, medium cut tobacco leaves, very sticky red molasses

Smell: Amazing sour grape scent, reminds me of the taste of concord grapes (the small seeded kind with glossy burgandy skin)

Taste: Tangy Grape flavor, not at all artificial, very nice, however, much sweeter than the scent. The flavor is nowhere as near as good as the scent.

Smoke: Average thickness and flavor

Buzz: Tthe box says .05% nicotine, however this may be a typo as most shisha is .5% nicotine. Normal buzz.

Duration: Very long duration due to the fact that the molasses is thick and sticky.

Overall: 7/10

The grape flavor is dissapointing mostly due to the fact that it smelled so good before it was lit. However, I did enjoy this shisha a good amount. 7/10.

• 9 months later...
Al Waha Grape

Hookah: Mya Bambino
Bowl: Hemi Bowl
Screen/Foil: Screen
Hose: Mya Standard
Coals: Coconara
Base Liquid: Water

Appearance: Short cut, dark, lots of stems
Nicotine: 0.5%
Base: Honey & Glycerin
Smell: Slight Sour Grape
Taste: Started off okay, but after about 15 minutes it was gone, remember why I don't smoke this brand
Smoke: Good Clouds
Buzz: None
Duration: 1 Hour

Purchased From: Hookah-Shisha.com

Overall: 4/10 Good Clouds, started off okay but died. The original taste was a little better than some grapes, but I wouldn't smoke it again.

• 4 months later...
Product-Al-Waha Grape

Hookah-Mya Bambino

Bowl-Standard Mya

Hose-Standard Mya

Foil-Reynolds HD

Coals-Golden quicklite 40mm broken in half and placed on edges

Cut-Leaf cut more long cut than some. Sticky no die and a few big ass stems 8/10

Smell-Grape soda or candy very nice 10/10

Taste-a sweet synthetic grape closest to a taffy like grape but not quite 9/10

Smoke-decent clouds thick but not storm clouds 7/10

Buzz-none

Longevity-the flavor dies a bit after 30 minutes 5/10

Overall-8/10 this is a great grape flavor the best ive ever ever had flavor wise but the flavor dies down a bit in the end witch makes me sad

• 3 years later...
[color=#282828][size=4][size=5][b]Al-Waha Shirazi Grape (عنب شيرازي)[/b][/size]

[b]Hookah:[/b] Lebanese cafe swirly one
[b]Bowl:[/b] Standard Lebanese bowl
[b]Screen/Foil:[/b] Reynolds Heavy Duty
[b]Hose:[/b] Lebanese leather hose
[b]Coals:[/b] Razan
[b]Base Liquid:[/b] Water.

[b]Appearance:[/b] Red. Very wet, fairly finely cut, pieces a bit bigger than Fakher but otherwise quite similar
[b]Smell: [/b]HOLY SHIT! It smells intensely like Halls blackcurrant drops, or in other words, like the classic, long-gone and much-missed Golden AF Grape from 5+ years ago. Unbelievable! As if it was resurrected.[/size][/color]
[color=#282828][size=4][b]Taste:[/b] Not quite like the smell. A very very solid black grape flavor, with a subtle hint of that blackcurrant sweetness and sourness, with a long, tart aftertaste, almost exactly like Havana Rowan. No ketchup, no nastyness. Strong flavor, very very nice. Would be great with mint.
[b]Smoke: [/b]Reasonably big, puffy, dense clouds - sort of on par with Al Fakher. When the coals die down and the smoke diminishes, the flavor still carries through. A bit easy to scorch, also like AF.
[b]Buzz:[/b] None that I could tell, but I had a couple beers...
[b]Duration:[/b] Only went for 1 round of coals, and it was definitely starting to cache, but it was a small bowl. I got about 90 minutes out of it.

[b]Overall:[/b] 10/10. Best grape currently in production. It's that simple. It's as close to old school AF grape as you can get, with none of the yuckyness of every other grape out there (here's looking at you, modern AF! but also Mizo and Tangiers, who failed to create something on par with the old, deceased standard). It's worth nothing there's almost no reference to this online. I found it in a big bucket at a hookah shop in Kuwait, took one smell, and knew I had to buy it. If anyone with an import license is reading this, contact Al-Waha and bring this in the country![/size][/color]

[color=#282828][size=4]By the way, I'm not sure if this is meant to mean "Grape of Shiraz (Iran)," or rather Shiraz grape as in the wine varietal.....the name in Arabic suggests the former.[/size][/color]