"smoke Smell" Compromise

I need some help folks and I plan on using your replies as my evidence and credible sources so please be respectful and clean.

I am currently living with a roommate who doesn't like the smell of smoke much less smoke itself. Here's the deal, she lives in the basement but frequently comes upstairs to her master bedroom and bathroom to get dressed, shower, etc. She used to have a roommate who smoked cigarettes and her rule was to smoke outside. Thing is, when the other roommate smoked on the front porch, my roommate said she could smell the smoke coming in through the walls and down into her room (which is below the livingroom/front door). I almost had her convinced to let us smoke in the house if we sat by a window in the kitchen with the ceiling fan on. She said we'd try it until she talked to a friend of hers who said hookah smelled horrible, the smoke was thick, etc. I don't want to know how to hide the smoke but actually make it to where it doesn't bother her. Anyone have any ideas as to what we can do or tell her to help convince her to let us smoke inside? Its getting quite cold outside and lighting a fire to sit by every time we go out to smoke is getting to be too much. Please help!

I'd suggest allowing her to actually be around when you smoke the hookah, so she can see for herself how the smoke smells rather than her having to rely on her friends opinion on the smell.

I'd definitely pack a flavor that you know smells good though, and don't burn the bowl so it smells cleaner.

Otherwise, if it's your roomates house, it's her rules and you are pretty much SOL. You can always try to be sneaky and only smoke when she's gone and have 30 minutes to an hour between when you're done smoking and when she gets home, but that's a bit childish IMO.

The best "evidence" is real life evidence, not the opinions of others in the end. The best convincing you can do is to let her see for herself.

As I told you in the shoutbox...

Hookah smoke is NOTHING like cigarette smoke. It is pleasant to be around, does not choke you up or bother your eyes, it doesn't "stick" to things in the house like the tar in cigarettes does, and the smoke/smell dissipates completely within an hour or two.

I agree with Nate- Try convincing her to let you try smoking in the house. Just once. Ask her to allow you to prove her wrong.

[quote name='Coyote' timestamp='1352292165' post='560196']
kick her out if she doesn't like it.
[/quote]

it's her house.

Hookah does smell, you can't ask a hookah smoker, if the hookah smells bad. Its kinda like tell me (an indian) that indian food smells bad. To me its amazing but i have heard more enough people complain of the smell.

Ask her to smoke it and give it try. If she doesn't like, respect her rules.
  • Upvote 1

For the record, Indian food smells awesome.

I agree with the above, for years I smoked hookah with people who only smoked outside. I hate the smell of cigarette smoke in my house to this day - but hookah vapor is different, and as long as you dont majorly scorch the bowl it is fundamentally different from cigarette smoke.

I just finished washing walls in our "hookah room" - we've smoked in there constantly for 6 years. There was very little if any residue on the walls, I couldn't believe it. Sadly, the sun porch, where cigarette smoking is restricted to, was extremely disgusting --- and those walls get cleaned every year or so.

It doesn't stick around, clears out shortly after...my parents are on vacation, been gone a week...they come back Tuesday. I been smoking hookah in the house all week(no smoking household)...I'm on my 7th bowl today right now. I won't be smoking anymore as of Monday early evening...I'll let you know how it goes but I know the only problem I'm going to have is if my paranoid father hid a camera in the house(worried id throw a party and I don't party anymore, have few friends I hang out with, and wouldn't risk it with the multitude of valuables in the house).

Only reason I'm smoking hookah in the house is 1.my ankle injury and having deal with steps to get outside(supposed to stay off of foot as much as possible, steps and driving are very difficult). And 2. I know there will be no odor when they return.

I smoke up to three packs of cigarettes a day and have had none today because I am not risking going outside and I'm not goingbto smoke them in the house.

ill let you know Tuesday how it went here when they return...I think that should be all the evidence you need

Depends on the person I suppose, it is DEFENITLY nothing like cigarette smoke. I used to smoke and still around people who do and you cannot compare the two. We smoke shisha indoors and it vents out pretty quick and cleanly, it doesn't have the same lingering smell cigarettes do where they attach to everything and just stick and smell. Depending on what your smoking and if you don't burn the bowl, usually has fruity smell and fills up the area nicely.

Apparently I can't edit my post. Pressed post to quick ...

Continuing ... When we travel we always stay in non smoking rooms in hotels since my girlfriend cannot stand the smoke of cigarettes or any of that lingering smell. Every single hotel we have stayed at in Canada/States we have smoked in, all we do is open a window (slightly as most places have solid non openable windows) or just turn on the a/c a little to help circulate the air. Never once has anyone ever commented on any 'smoke' smell we might have in the non smoking room.

Yeah, I work in hotels so I'm always super paranoid about rooms smelling, since I know how big of a deal it is when one does (we charge $100-200, depending on how bad the smell is), but I'd definitely feel safe smoking hookah in a non-smoking room.

Tapatalk'd via iPhone