Fakhafina Sweet Melon

[b]Heard of it?[/b]

I hadn't before having it recommended to me by the owner of the Tobacco Town in West Plano last Saturday. He's a young arabic gentleman who had just returned from two weeks in Turkey. He says that the new "in" thing there is to halve a cantaloupe, scoop out the seeds and use it as the bowl for your hookah. I'm guessing they must have smallish cantaloupes to do this with, as the south Texas variety would make for an all-day sucker.

He said they also will hollow a few apples and pin them together to serve as part of the shaft, adding to the flavor. Sounds intriquing, but time-consuming. I think it would be easier to add an apple to the end of your hose, instead.

In any case, I bought a 250g tub of the Fakhafina Sweet Melon from him (his favorite) and he was eager to get my reaction, so he set me up on his personal hookah in the back of his shop to try it out. I'm not ordinarily a big melon fan (double-entendrés notwithstanding), but this was a very smooth, mild smoke with the unmistakable, but subtle flavor of cantaloupe.  Frankly, it was better at the shop, with the quick-light coals he was using, then my second bowl the following day at home with Syrian finger coals. I find that the Syrian coals impart a flavor of their own that interferes with the subtleties of some of the milder blends.

I suppose my search for the best coals continues, but in the meantime, I'm happy with my new tobacco.

I have done the fruit thang in me younger years with something other than massel,and yes it works.We used to use apples,once we made a pipe out of a carrot.It does work but I really enjoy the smoke the traditional way,maybe I'll try it with a apple one day.However there is a korean melon that tastes much like a cantaloupe thats not much bigger than a good sized apple that would do the job.The rind is yellow and has lines in it almost like grill marks.In NYC they just call em korean melons.I think I've had a Israeli melon that was about the same size as the Korean melon but it looked more like a honeydew,once again our green grocers called it a Israeli melon,LOL.

The only Sweet Melon I've tried and am smoking right now is Romman's
Sweet Melon that I picked-up at Hookah-Shisha.  I swear by this
stuff, it's got a very pleasant taste of fresh Sweet Honeydew
Melon.  It's absolutely marvelous!

Must be another brand then because normally any Nakhla product will say Nakhla somewhere on it and have a picture of the date palm. But if it is, isn't it some great yummy stuff? And if it isn't I need to investigate further.
Thanks for the research.
MR Bubble

• 2 weeks later...