Forum Suggestions?

i would have to agree with that, i miss being able to go onto tc without leaving the actual forum, but as aeon has stated i know that because of the updates it can't be done

Sigh. I know guys, I know. I've searched the net up and down looking for a viable solution to having something like TC Preview again, but I can't find anything that would work. I'm sorry, but you're just gonna have to accept the truth that the people at TC suck for changing up their settings and making it where their shit isn't compatible with IP.Board in the way it used to be anymore. Adrock/Mush are working with what they've got.

[quote name='mustang67n' timestamp='1351034784' post='559093']
sounds like our only solution is to can IP.Board and just change the entire forum over...
[/quote]

Lol, it's not like TC made anything like TC Preview for any of the other forum layouts. So canning IP.Board would solve nothing.

I don't know if either of these are possible or already implemented-

A live feed of ALL forum activity (versus just the most recently posted threads, could also add most recent reply posts)

A notification everytime some replies to a post of yours (not sure if others would want such a thing.) Edited by fuckthatvincekid

[quote name='fuckthatvincekid' timestamp='1351036454' post='559102']

A live feed of ALL forum activity (versus just the most recently posted threads, could also add most recent reply posts)
[b][color=#ff0000]Theres a button at the top right of the home page that says view new content. It includes new threads, posts to old threads, and things of that sort. [/color][/b]

A notification everytime some replies to a post of yours (not sure if others would want such a thing.)
[color=#ff0000][b]You can choose to follow a certain thread, Top right of the first post in ever thread has a button that says follow this topic. You can get email alerts when someone replied to any topics that you have followed.[/b][/color]
[/quote]

[quote name='Travis' timestamp='1351039987' post='559111']
[quote name='fuckthatvincekid' timestamp='1351036454' post='559102']

[b][color=#FF0000]Theres a button at the top right of the home page that says view new content. It includes new threads, posts to old threads, and things of that sort. [/color][/b]

A notification everytime some replies to a post of yours (not sure if others would want such a thing.)
[color=#FF0000][b]You can choose to follow a certain thread, Top right of the first post in ever thread has a button that says follow this topic. You can get email alerts when someone replied to any topics that you have followed.[/b][/color]
[/quote]
[/quote]

I stand corrected on the first point! I figured I was just missing something.

My second point is still a little different, in my opinion. It's a lot more cumbersome to have to individually follow threads, it'd be awesome if you could just opt into getting notifications when you are replied to, but those are just my thoughts and I don't know whether or not this is feasible.

Overall, I'd say the forum is already pretty well set. It has a simple layout and all the appropriate subforums one could think of.

disable youtube videos from forum chat...its screws up things for me when I'm browsing from my phone, which is 90% of the time...really really annoying

maybe make it so you can scroll back further in chat history

on mobile, i can only post to chat from the main forum screen but not the chat only screen, would love it if that could be fixed.

gimme access to the password protected areas that everyone else can see(i only have the mod area and sneaky with another) :P

thats all i can think of :)

[quote name='smokingpanda' timestamp='1351209065' post='559319']
have the tinychat link open in a new tab
[/quote]

You should be able to right-click the "Tiny Chat" tab up on the tabs and open it in a new tab... I just Command+Click the tab to open it in a new tab, CTRL+Click on a PC I believe.

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1351209204' post='559320']
An instant message box for members online would be great.

'Rani
[/quote]

Mind elaborating? If I know more about it, I'll check it out to see if there's an app for IP.Board that is like what you're talking about.

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1351211894' post='559323']
[quote name='smokingpanda' timestamp='1351209065' post='559319']
have the tinychat link open in a new tab
[/quote]

You should be able to right-click the "Tiny Chat" tab up on the tabs and open it in a new tab... I just Command+Click the tab to open it in a new tab, CTRL+Click on a PC I believe.

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1351209204' post='559320']
An instant message box for members online would be great.

'Rani
[/quote]

Mind elaborating? If I know more about it, I'll check it out to see if there's an app for IP.Board that is like what you're talking about.
[/quote]

Facebook (which I'm no longer a member of) has a "when in Facebook only" kind of instant messenger box that pops up when your friends are online. It doesn't work outside Facebook like Google Talk or Yahoo! Messenger do, only while you're in Facebook. It would allow for instant one-on-one discussions outside a an entire chat room, and would probably do a lot for mods for instant notification of a problem as opposed to sending a personal message and waiting until it gets read.

'Rani
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1351292174' post='559394']
Facebook (which I'm no longer a member of) has a "when in Facebook only" kind of instant messenger box that pops up when your friends are online. It doesn't work outside Facebook like Google Talk or Yahoo! Messenger do, only while you're in Facebook. It would allow for instant one-on-one discussions outside a an entire chat room, and would probably do a lot for mods for instant notification of a problem as opposed to sending a personal message and waiting until it gets read.

'Rani
[/quote]

This..I like this Idea

Nate, that was so funny, you gots rep. I hate how people be online and just lurkin'.

Here's what I found on the IM idea:

[url="http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/277517-instant-messaging-for-ipb-30/"]http://community.inv...ing-for-ipb-30/[/url]

[url="http://ajaxim.com/"]http://ajaxim.com/[/url]

[url="http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/webmaster/projects/article.php/3886631/How-to-Add-Facebook-Style-Instant-Messaging-to-Your-Discussion-Forum.htm"]http://www.htmlgoodi...ssion-Forum.htm[/url]

So either Ajax IM or CometChat IM it looks like. I'll leave Mush and Adrock to look into them further.

Also, while searching for that, I found this, which may or may not be a decent replacement for integrated Tinychat:

[url="http://avchat.net/integrations/ipboard"]http://avchat.net/integrations/ipboard[/url]

It actually looks pretty legit, and has some nice features... Thoughts?

On the idea of a cars sub forum, would you car lovers be happy with a cars pinned thread? I don't know if it is big enough for a sub-forum, up to mush, but I think that is a good compromise in the mean time
  • Upvote 1