Cologne

Stuie

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1349966957' post='558277']
[quote name='mustang67n' timestamp='1349934033' post='558266']
Aqua Velva
[/quote]

Okay that I don't like.
[/quote]

Just want to say, Aqua Velva isn't really a cologne. It's an after shave. I like to use it because it helps my skin out the most of all the after shaves I've tried, in the way of razor bumps and whatnot. Really does a good job of cooling down the skin; firming and toning it. As for a fragrance, it's strong as hell when you put it on, but quickly dies down and you can't even smell it an hour or two later. No lasting power whatsoever. That's why I always use something else (usually Perry Ellis 360, my daily wear cologne), right after I do the Aqua Velva (or after I get dressed and am about the walk out the door on days I don't shave).

None of it is cheap but it lasts FOREVER - one bottle will last months, if not the better part of a year. If you get a few different ones and rotate, you'll get a few years out of them.

I always try to steer clear of the popular scents. It just sucks when someone says, "Oh, my friend/father/dentist/etc wears the same cologne as you."

But, since I don't think I'll be running into you guys anytime soon....

My daytime fragrance was Ralph Lauren Romance Silver. It's mainly oriental but has some woody notes. Clean and simple, but done very well.

My nighttime and out on the town fragrance is/was Givenchy Play Intense. Dry Wood on the Fragrance Wheel. Mostly notes of coffee, leather, chocolate and a hint of sandalwood and tonka bean. It's a fairly intimate scent, but good for social events.

I may drop the Ralph Lauren fragrance as it's been replaced with a new fragrance line.

Recommendations up next....
  • Upvote 1

Just from the scents that you said you liked, it's seems you're in the Woody/Spice range.

Some scents you may want to take a look at that fit this are:

[b]Calvin Klein Euphoria[/b] - It's a bit powdery, but has the wood and leather notes too.
[b]Givenchy Play Intense[/b] - Something tells me you'll like this scent. As I mentioned earlier, it's basically coffee, leather and chocolate with hints of vanilla/wood.
[b]John Varvatos Vintage[/b] - Another leather/tobacco base with some spice (cinnamon-y) and a faint floral that rounds out the scent. Very very smooth. I kinda wish I discovered this before the Givenchy.

The following are just a bit outside your preference zone, but may have some characteristics you'll like. These will work better in the daytime too.

[b]Diesel Only the Brave[/b] - More leather and wood, but with a citrus note making it a bit brighter than the above scents which I think moves it into the daytime/sunlight scent. The lemon becomes a bit more noticeable when it's warm out.
[b]Thierry Mulger A*Men[/b] - Chocolate, Coffee and a bit of Caramel/Vanilla. But, there's a faint peppermint that makes this feel a lot lighter.
[b]Carolina Herrera 212 Men [/b]- I honestly don't know...maybe a bit of sandalwood and "holy shit, i'm awesome". This fragrance is done ridiculously well in the fact that I have no idea what I'm really smelling, but I can't stop wanting to smell it. It's more addicting than a batch of K-Cherry fully acclimated. :D

Well, Mr. Stuart....if you decide on a fragrance, let us know!
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1350205389' post='558430']
Sorry, one more tip. Bring a small pouch of coffee beans or mint leaves. In between scents, smell the pouch. It "resets" your senses...kinda like what pickled ginger does for sushi.
[/quote]

Should of done that, Candle stores have coffee beans, why doesn't fragrence counters?

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1350314985' post='558457']
[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1350205389' post='558430']
Sorry, one more tip. Bring a small pouch of coffee beans or mint leaves. In between scents, smell the pouch. It "resets" your senses...kinda like what pickled ginger does for sushi.
[/quote]

Should of done that, Candle stores have coffee beans, why doesn't fragrence counters?
[/quote]

some do, usually the ones that have the high price cologne (such as mens prada and whatnot) at least from my experiences

[quote name='mustang67n' timestamp='1350296684' post='558453']
wow... WOW.. I never knew, Jay.. I literally had no idea.. Although I guess all of the classic signs were there...

lol J/k man.. amazing analysis of aromatics there though.. impeccable!
[/quote]You can't tell I smell amazing on TC?

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1350101070' post='558390']
So the wife and I went to Dillard's to scope out some of these. After a while my nose was just worn out.

Doir Fahrenheit was awesome very woodsy
Dolce & Gabana The One Gentlemen completely awesome
Versaci for Men was up there too
Kenneth Cole Vintage Black was just all around awesome
Yves Saint Laurent Pour Homme Subtly musky and airy

These are my tops so far. I haven't tried all the ones people suggested. Never made to the Polo, RL or Lacoste sections
[/quote]

I'm glad you liked that Fahrenheit and Vintage Black, they are my little hidden gems.

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1349981863' post='558302']
Yeah see, I'm the kind of guy who gets his cologne off of eBay for cheap. :lol:

Find me some cheap Gucci, Mark! I know you gots da hookups! :P

Tapatalk'd via iPhone
[/quote]

Well you see, I usually get my fragrances from Ulta (where my mom buys her makeup I guess) because she get's some ridiculous coupons for cologne so I end up paying very little after the savings :)

Stuie, The One Gentleman surely is amazing is it not? Would probably be my favorite in the stash right now if only it was just a bit more versatile. Edited by KasbahBazaar

[quote name='KasbahBazaar' timestamp='1350424987' post='558537']
[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1349981863' post='558302']
Yeah see, I'm the kind of guy who gets his cologne off of eBay for cheap. :lol:

Find me some cheap Gucci, Mark! I know you gots da hookups! :P

Tapatalk'd via iPhone
[/quote]

Well you see, I usually get my fragrances from Ulta (where my mom buys her makeup I guess) because she get's some ridiculous coupons for cologne so I end up paying very little after the savings :)

Stuie, The One Gentleman surely is amazing is it not? Would probably be my favorite in the stash right now if only it was just a bit more versatile.
[/quote]

So what you're saying is I need my wife to shop at Ulta? Fuck that. I don't want her spending more money! :P

I just won an eBay auction for Davidoff Cool Water. I'm eager to try it out, especially since reviews say it is almost identical to Creed Green Irish Tweed, which is like $200 a bottle. :o Either way, the description for it sounds amazing and right up my alley. If anyone cares, I'll post a review for it once I've tried it a few days.

I just read the description for The One Gentleman... sounds like awesome stuff!

It's a good scent and definitely one of the best selling colognes for a reason. It's clean, crisp and non-obtrusive. It's good for casual use...you'll smell good, but won't attract too much attention which is useful for work, school, shopping for groceries or the like. :)

Yeah, that's what I read. I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it out, see if maybe I like it more than Perry Ellis 360 and it could possibly be my new daily scent. Or atleast change it up a bit so I'm not wearing the same thing everyday. :)

Tapatalk'd via iPhone

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1349899246' post='558221']
I just shower regularly so I dont have to cover myself up with essentially potpourri that have names like "Peak Climax" and "Erect Desire"
[/quote]
thats about the same for me, deoderant roughly every couple of days maybe 1 time a week

[quote name='Pavo21' timestamp='1350598870' post='558725'][quote name='joytron' timestamp='1349899246' post='558221']
I just shower regularly so I dont have to cover myself up with essentially potpourri that have names like "Peak Climax" and "Erect Desire"
[/quote]
thats about the same for me, deoderant roughly every couple of days maybe 1 time a week[/quote]

Yeah, but you guys are lucky and live in California. You don't sweat your ass off the minute you step out the door.

Tapatalk'd via iPhone

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1350611111' post='558737']
[quote name='Pavo21' timestamp='1350598870' post='558725'][quote name='joytron' timestamp='1349899246' post='558221']
[/quote]
thats about the same for me, deoderant roughly every couple of days maybe 1 time a week[/quote]

Yeah, but you guys are lucky and live in California. You don't sweat your ass off the minute you step out the door.

Tapatalk'd via iPhone
[/quote]

Word Cali Boys can't handle Midwest Temps!

• 1 year later...

I like Polo Black a lot, every time I wear it people I am with both men and women are like WTF do you have on? You smell orgasmic! It is one of those colognes where it smells completely different on you than it does fresh out the bottle.

I like Polo Black a lot, every time I wear it people I am with both men and women are like WTF do you have on? You smell orgasmic! It is one of those colognes where it smells completely different on you than it does fresh out the bottle.

That's how Givenchy Pour Homme and Dolce & Gabbana are, though I find them both a bit overly sweet and not that masculine. Best reserved for cold evenings.