Moving To Korea

Tyler

So I might have an official job offer in Korea coming up in the next two weeks working as a TEFL teacher. Has anyone here lived in Korea? Or live there now? I have tons of questions

I know 2 people that i went to school with, that are in korea now. They said it really depends where you go. But most everyone is nice and willing to work with you learn the culture and stuff. But its a great experiece, but the food is horrible and the heat is horrible. i guess it depends where you get your food and what not. lol

I doubt the food is horrible It is just different working in the kitchen I now I have opened
My pallet to so many new foods some I don't like some I love. Different cultures
Food will not please certain people but some are really open to new things. I honestly can say I want to try some weird things some of them people give me looks like why or what the fuck is wrong with you but still want to try it.

[quote name='Coleman' timestamp='1345483877' post='554559']
I doubt the food is horrible It is just different working in the kitchen I now I have opened
My pallet to so many new foods some I don't like some I love. Different cultures
Food will not please certain people but some are really open to new things. I honestly can say I want to try some weird things some of them people give me looks like why or what the fuck is wrong with you but still want to try it.
[/quote]

Mmmm Korean food, so fucking good

Hi there,

I live in Thailand and here there are a lot of Korean restaurants. I love them btw.

Yes, the culture is totally different though. I got used to Thai culture after a while so I guess you'll do the same.

You will love it. Little hard to get around, the bigger cities make you feel like a overfed hamster stuck in a habitrail tube designed by Escher. Good people, occasional jackass, but where aren't there a few? Really beautiful country if you get north (but not too far.... see tanks, go other way )

Food is great, just don't ask what's in it.

Where are you moving too? Im Korean-American, but was raised by strict ass Korean parents..I can help you with manners and can tell you some proper ways to handle stuff and whatevers.

Probably Seoul, or literally right outside the main city. I know a lot of the mannerisms, about how to pour a drink and to always accept a gift/invitation. If they give you food always try it infront of them, if they invite you, acccept or never be invited again lol. The only part that I'm confused on is the bowing. I also don't like the drinking culture, as I do not drink.

In Korea, bowing can go from very informal to very very formal. Usually a small bow with dipping the head, and maybe a 15 degree angle at the hips is acceptable for most greetings/thanks/indifferences/apologies in everyday situations. You probably won't have to do a very formal bow often at all (45 to 80 degrees at the hips), or go as far as touching your head to the ground.

You will enjoy your first experience with the traditional toilet...:)

Also, I believe that timeliness/punctuality is considered very polite there.

Oh Lord. What is wrong with their toilets? I know about the shower sprayer thingys.

I read that most Koreans compost, what about normal trash, do they have trash services like we do here in the US? A big dumpster to throw everything in?

What about ovens, are they still super uncommon to find?

Is business dress the same in the US as it is in Korea?

How hard is it to find 'american' food?

How do I get a phone that works in Korea? Can I use my current iPhone with a Korean sim card?

Are beds going to be like 4 feet long?

Does it snow there like it would in say, Boston?

Thyphoons are basically the same thing as hurricanes, yeah?

When it is summer time, the heat and humidity thing would be like living in Florida?

Do they have laundromats with dryers? I'm not a big fan of 'air drying' everything.

Is it socially acceptable to have girls who are friends if you're a male like it is here?

More to come but that's a start.

[quote name='Tyler' timestamp='1346870727' post='555836']
1. Oh Lord. What is wrong with their toilets? I know about the shower sprayer thingys.
2. I read that most Koreans compost, what about normal trash, do they have trash services like we do here in the US? A big dumpster to throw everything in?
3. What about ovens, are they still super uncommon to find?
4. Is business dress the same in the US as it is in Korea?
5. How hard is it to find 'american' food?
6. How do I get a phone that works in Korea? Can I use my current iPhone with a Korean sim card?
7. Are beds going to be like 4 feet long?
8. Does it snow there like it would in say, Boston?
9. Thyphoons are basically the same thing as hurricanes, yeah?
10. When it is summer time, the heat and humidity thing would be like living in Florida?
11. Do they have laundromats with dryers? I'm not a big fan of 'air drying' everything.
12. Is it socially acceptable to have girls who are friends if you're a male like it is here?

More to come but that's a start.
[/quote]
I numbered everything to make answering easier. And these answers are dependent on the apartments you're living in.

1. Nothing really. They're quite small/narrow though. If you're talking about the "embedded" toilet, it's....interesting. I had pictures, but unfortunately I get an error saying I'm not allowed to post them due to the url. :\

2. There are trash services in the cities. Composting isn't too common in Seoul though. At least, not that I've seen.

3. I've not seen a "traditional" home w/ an oven, however they're available to purchase at the department stores. A lot of modern/westernized homes have ovens though.

4. Business dress is suit and tie, but we may have different definitions of "business". A standardized uniform is common too. You're not going to see many professionals in khakis and a polo.

5. In Seoul...really easily. McDonald's, Burger King, etc are around. If you want an "american restaurant", you'll have to stick with your chains like Outback Steakhouse or the like. Granted, the american food has a sort of Korean tinge to it.

6. MagicJack was popular, but I'm not sure if the ISP's are still blocking it. Skype works well. Other than that, you'll have to buy a Korean phone with an international calling plan. I'm not sure about switching out SIMs though.

7. Yep! And firm as hell.

8. Ehh...more like Colorado.

9. Google-fu says they're basically the same although they occur/originate in different areas.

10. No. Worse.

11. Yep.

12. It is, but I didn't see much public affection except by the younger generation. Friends are friends though. Gender isn't really much of an issue. Edited by Arcane