What Breeds Hatred?

Chreees

I want to say poor adult role models that encourage bigotry.

How many hateful, racist people were raised by people with the same ideals? Most, I'd assume.

• 2 months later...
[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1351110441' post='559186']
This seemed worthy enough of bumping this thread: [url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/24/ann-coulter-retard-john-franklin-stephens-special-olympics-open-letter_n_2008538.html"]http://www.huffingto..._n_2008538.html[/url]
[/quote]

I like the positivity displayed in the letter. It's a nice change of attitude from all the slandering and hate-mongering going on...

• 2 weeks later...
The only thing I HATE are tools that insist on wearing their pants around the lowest part of their ass showing the world their boxers. I'm not ignorant of anything about this. The trend started in jails and prisons, and moved on to "hip-hop/urban culture".

End of rant.

and I know this is completely off base and not in the spirit of the OP.

(Had to post again, due to the ticking clock expiring while I was editing it. Can something be done about that?)

But I don't think it's always hatred or ignorance. I think it boils down to simple differences between people. More often than not, you aren't going to change one group's opinions about another. Look at pro-life people and pro-choice people. They've been going at it for sometime now and pretty sure they aren't going to give it up any time soon.

• 6 months later...

I would have to agree that it's a lot of entrenched stereotyping.
I look just like a little white girl with a boyfriend, but!
I am bi-sexual, 1/4 black, irish, native american,wiccan, and a juggalo.
Most people don't even KNOW that I am what i am. I hear a lot of nasty things and when i do, i say something. And attempt to educate people.
That's really all you can do.
If people don't want to listen or change their thinking, they won't .

There isn't a right or wrong answer to your question Chris but this reply from Miss Crafted seemed like a very good answer which might start by helping us understand the root of hatred.

I am still quite young but I have a lot of experience in my life dealing with people and I have travelled quite a bit even for someone with a condition as prohibitive as mine. And the one thing I see is people are influenced by peers, media, celebrities and a lot of the time tribal/cultural dogma influenced by parents on children which all generally contributes to shaping our society.

We're taught in my religion that when your judgement is upon you your good character will weigh the heaviest on that day. So be good to people, have
respect for their beliefs like you would want the same done unto you and always learn the importance of being able to turn the other cheek because certain people will always reject you and what you stand for. Everyone may not be receptive to what you have to offer this world.

Then again there have been times where barbaric acts have been committed in the name of religion so there is good and bad on both sides.

Hatred is something that is usually rooted in us at an early age and takes a lot of soul searching and reflection before it can be expelled,

But what you mentioned seems more like prejudice/discrimination/resent from what you have explained and not hatred. These things usually stem from a childhood experience like an act of racism which left the victim bitter towards a certain race/religion, our parents tend to instil these things in us at an early age rather than teach us values like self respect and to respect the law and everyone you live to shoulder with. It's only later we figure out that this discrimination is more of a cultural thing and is completely irrational/illogical.

Hatred or anything that resembles it is a very complex thing yet it's a lot easier to practice than to be loving and peaceful even though the latter is more beneficial.

honestly, I don't buy into ignorance/raising as an excuse for these actions. not as a whole anyways. Don't get me wrong, they have influence on everyone and some that influence may be all they need, but I'll throw myself as an example.. I was raised by my father and stepmother, dad was from detroit,and while not necessarily racist, he can blame stereotypes and blame it on race/religion when he can't find another validated reason. As for my step mother, well.. she is the most racist sack of shit to ever exist. These were the people that raised me for 16 years, step mother moved out, then with my dad until 20; and I managed to avoid all of the racist bullshit. Never once even crossed my mind to blame someones race for one persons actions. Sure, stereotypes exist, every culture is responsible for some act or another more than the rest, but we're all just as guilty as the next. Some people just grow up a little more... disrespectful than the rest, I know several people that will hate some specific race with nothing that will convince them otherwise. One day culture will grow and hopefully everyone will learn to accept each other, but until then we're in for a long ride. 

Don't get me wrong, I've heard some pretty funny racist jokes in my time, primarily because its so blatantly ignorant. But looking from my group of friends, some of my best friends include Jewish, Black, Hispanic, Gay, (all of which are in my house at the same time on a reg. basis) and a few others, it's hard to even accept racism as a real thing, I'm german as hell, and all me and my Jewish friend do is crack jokes about eachothers heritage all the time, which, while maybe being a little lacking in taste, just goes to show than anyone can grow to be forgiving and accepting of others for their heritages past. 

also, it'sfunny on the forums, because looking at everyone that smokes on here, if you're anything outside of the middle east, you're already embracing other cultures , therefor a step ahead of the rest as it is, and for those raised with hookah in their culture, and on here, well, youre branching out to new ideas and cultures to share your experiences with. says something about the community