Chick-Fil-A Shitstorm...

Chreees

Why don't we have a thread discussing this yet?? Scotsman, you disappoint me! :P

Two attached pictures are the best things I've seen yet regarding the matter, and should let you know where I stand...

[attachment=5915:chick-fil-a sarah palin.jpg]

[attachment=5916:chick-fil-a girls kissing stupidity.jpg]

Discuss...

I really didn't want to comment about this topic even when it was posted on other sites but I guess I will. I do not see what the big deal is, its Dan Cathy's OPINION on what he believes in and because of his beliefs it caused a huge shitstorm. It looks like if anyone has a religious belief and an opinion these days they get hammered down, I think a lot of people today are too damn sensitive.

The LGBT group has gotten stronger within the passed few years and good for them but I think what they're doing is making the gay community look bad as well. Here's the thing almost everybody knows that Chik fil a is run by a religious founder but people still ate there without a problem until he expressed his opinion.

Yep, I agree, Aaron. Per the first amendment, Cathy has every right to speak his mind. And people have every right to choose whether or not to eat there. It's pretty ridiculous on both sides.

This manager at a NH Chick-Fil-A restaurant also has the right to do what he's doing: http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2012/08/01/chick_fil_a_manager_in_nh_to_help_gay_pride_fest/

The hypocrisy of this whole situation is just too funny. :)

As for me, I never ate there before this happened, so it doesn't bother me either way. I think their food has been subpar the times I have eaten it. I can get a better chicken sandwich at a gazillion other restaurants instead. I have a few gay friends who have posted on FaceBook "Going to Chick-Fil-A today... cause I like their food." Props to the people with common sense.

I don't give a fuck who does or doesn't eat there, I'm still gonna go there often and eat my 3-5 chicken sandwiches with those heavenly blessed fries they have.

Here's the way I see it. First of all, who the hell didn't know CFA was owned by a Christian who held to converservative (albeit it ignorant [not in the bad sence, in the uneducated sense] and misunderstoof) values. They're closed on Sundays as a major business. The company itself supports more companies that are pro-gay rights such a Coke and Heinz. I'm bi and I'll still eat CFA when I feel like it. Those little anti-gay camps they donate to are more of an orgy waiting to happen and a great place for youths to meet others like themselves...so it's kind of counter productive on their part lol. I had a friend who went to one, he ended up having sex with half the staff while he was there. But thats not the point, the point is who cares. CFA is free to be anti-gay if they want to be. The fact of the matter is they still make a damn good sammich...and shake...and those fries....om nom nom.

... i am gonna regret this I am sure....

A CEO stated his religious beliefs that he supports traditional marriage between one man and one woman. You ask a Christian CEO on his stance on marriage and you get surprised and outraged by his answer? Come on, they call that baiting.

Christians as a whole are not gay bashers riding around hunting gays down. My word, what some people extrapolate from a single comment is astounding. People get all excited about this comment, but you should read on what other religions are doing about homosexuality, in Islamic countries it is a death sentence.

A Christian Perspective:
According to the Bible Homosexuality is looked upon as a sin. I am not going to debate if it is choice, nature or nurture. But as such all sin is equal in the eyes of God, from lying to murder. Sin is Sin in the eyes of God. Barring extremists the majority of Christians just don't approve of the lifestyle. They truly "hate the sin but love the sinner" as it is so often put. I won't get preachy I promise.

Me personally, I have gay friends, we have interesting debates on the subject. I friends that are Evangelical, Hindu, Buddhist, Pagan, Catholic, Muslim, Agnostic, Atheists, Mormons, and people who have never give it any thought. Just because we disagree about it doesn't mean I can't love them like my brother's and sisters.

Just like it is here on Hookah Forum, we may disagree even out right have a screaming match but the end of day like all my friends you are welcome at my hookah and we will smoke, laugh, cry and be friends.

I will show love and respect to all the enter my life or cross my path.
  • Upvote 1

I agree that Dan Cathy has every right to voice his opinion. Let me say that first of all. I don't happen to agree with him, but then we all know everybody has their own opinion and in this country, a right to it.

I have a couple problems with the public stir.....

1) Chick-fil-a is a franchise organization. I believe some of the restaurants are company owned but many across the country are franchised. Those restaurants are privately owned with licensing fees paid (usually under 10% of profits) for use of the name, products, etc. They also pay a percentage as a marketing allowance, etc. Regardless, I don't believe you should punish your local business owner who may have completely different feelings on the subject just because the franchisor has his head up his ass. So boycotting your local businessman only hurts your local economy and doesn't make much of a dent at the franchise office because they're only skimming a small percentage of the profits anyway.

2) However, with those profits, Chick-fil-a also contributes to various hate organizations, most notably the Westboro Church. I have a problem with that, because essentially that means my money eventually filters to that disgusting hate filled looney bin.

3) Public opinion has ZERO to do with rights. If it did, we would still have slaves and women wouldn't be allowed to vote. Gay marriage WILL happen eventually, and whether you believe in it, disagree with it, etc., it will happen. Rabid right-wing or not, they don't get to involve themselves in the rights of others. Separation of church and state guarantees that. So they should pretty much sit down and shut up if you ask my opinion.

4) What an amazing bunch of hate filled, bitter, up-tight people are around these days. If it's not affecting your life in your own home, what the hell do you care? Most of these people need a martini, a line, and a hooker more than just about anybody I've ever met. Thank fucking God nobody I hang with remotely resembles these people. Present company potentially excluded, lol......

'Rani
  • Upvote 1

I am not saying Gay Marriage won't happen or shouldn't happen. You are right Rani, I am sure it's coming.

It's the hatred of Christian beliefs that puzzle me. I mean the People elected David Duke former KKK Grand Master, to public office more than once. When is it a crime to have beliefs different than someone else. I don't see people Driving into Amish Country condemning them for being close minded and out of touch with society. I don't see people claiming gays are intolerant of straights. I don't see people going up to the VHEMT and telling them to start with themselves. It almost seems that the battle cry lately is "Through Intolerance of Christians we will make this county tolerant." It's stances like this they do make me wonder if I will suffer the same fate as Youcef Nadarkhani, here in the USA, just because of what I believe, not being arrested for anything I did, but simply for what I believe.

Rani, I love you girl. HRC is the only people that have said CFA donated to Westboro. I think that if they had Westboro would have pointed out this fact loudly and often. They aren't known for their tact. This may have been a miscommunication or it could be true. But it would be the only single Church CFA has ever donated too, which I find hard to believe, since they never corporately donated to Cathy's own Church.

But it seems the only people it's PC to crap on these Days are Fat People and Christians... I am totally screwed.
  • Upvote 1

JUST FYI: "Seperation of Church and State" was from a letter by Thomas Jefferson to the Danbury Baptist Association. It was used as a metaphor to assure them that there would be no establishment of a State Religion like the Anglican Church back in England. Because that Baptists were such a small group that if such a thing passed they would not be free to practice their religion here in the New World. Never stated in the constitution. First Amendment Prohibits State Appointed Religion, but that's as close as it gets.

I agree with both Stuie and Rani. I am not a very religious man, but I have pretty high morals. If one word could describe my beliefs in this world, it's karma. Either way, the problem with this country (and world I guess you could say) is a lack of tolerance and understanding. I am friends with Christians, Muslims, Hindus, atheists, and more, and have no problem with any of them. The thing about the radical right-wing guys is that they are pushing their religion on others, which is something they claim others (Muslims mainly... how many times have you heard conservatives scream about sharia law?) try to do upon them. This country was NOT founded on religion, but instead upon the freedom of it, therefore it should accommodate everyone and whatever they believe. That's the trick though- We need to balance the system so that it does. Only through tolerance and understanding will we achieve this.
  • Upvote 1

Who are we, as humans, to condemn a single person or group of people based on what they do, what they believe, their race, or their sexual origin? I thought this was God's job, to reign judgement, so why are we (general human population) passing judgement all the damned time? And why do so many Christians and other religious nuts have their panties in a bunch about gays?! Is it because you don't like seeing them display their affection in public? I know I don't like seeing that, but I don't hate them or believe they are going to hell for it.

How many sins are their written in the bible? Yet it seems people are focused on gays. C'mon... If these people really care so much about the "biblical family" then maybe they should be concentrating on their efforts towards teaching people the morals, struggles, and how to get through tough times through marriages these days. To me, no matter what religion you are, what you belief, there is an ever increasing number of divorces and people cheating on their spouses. How the HECK are these not looked down upon worse than gay marriage?! IMO, the priorities of these wack jobs that go public because they can use the "freedom of speech" are totally out of order.

Now more on to the issue. I came across a page that had links to many other pages about various hate groups that CFA is associated with. One of the articles talked about something about being involved in the passing of a law in Uganda to kill all gays. If this is true (we probably won't really ever know as I doubt the CEO used CFA accounts to fund such thing...he probably created some charity group that he first donated to, and then moved the money from that to support such thing...but this is just speculation), then this most certainly isn't an issue about freedom of speech, but becomes an issue of hate crimes and all those that bought CFA to support their stance yesterday, just supported CFA's hate crimes.

I could care less about what anyone says these days. Everyone has their opinions and uses their right to freedom of speech but man...does it make a lot of people look really stupid. A lot of people are just uninformed, misinformed, or have some sick or delusional thought or opinion on things so you can't really get upset about what these stupid people have to say. IMO, a CEO of a large corp should be more cautious about what is said out in public. He just got lucky that there are a bunch of nut jobs out there that rallied behind him to support what he said and went to "appreciation day" yesterday or whenever that was. People's morals and ethics need to be re-evaluated because of fighting about gay marriage is at the top of the list, then this countries religious people definitely have a major obstacle to get around to actually get to the more moral and ethical issues with everything going on in our country.

Didn't quote you because of length Dr. Smokes, but you mentioned something important...... He shouldn't have voiced his opinion without expecting impact on his business. Yep, if you're chasing the almighty dollar, probably shouldn't be opening pissing 10% of the population that would otherwise buy your product and/or service.

The Chick-fil-a by my work was crowded yesterday with lines out the door. This morning when I went by there? Deserted. Not a car in sight in their lot. Which tells me for a lot of "supporters" is was more about being part of the drama that actually caring about the subject.

'Rani
  • Upvote 1

The ACLU supports Dan Cathy's right to state his opinion. That ought to be the end of the discussion.

All this huffing and puffing by mayors about keeping Chik-Fil-A out of their cities is just BS. What if all mayors, liberal [u]and[/u] conservative, did the same? What a mess we'd have!

I'm for separation of business and state. Most politicians are lawyers who know little to nothing about running an economy. :D

[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1343937916' post='553186']
I'm for separation of business and state. Most politicians are [b]failed[/b] lawyers who know little to nothing about running an economy. :D
[/quote]
Fixed lol

Never did see a gay chicken yet.

The only thing that is happening out of it all is that the far radical left, and their buddies in the LGBT maffia are doing their best to make sure all the religious people, and middle-of-the-roaders vote for the fake-conservative this Nov. The majority of the people I know could care less about gay issues of any form, but when 2 dudes play tongue-hockey in front of their 9 year-old kids, they go from care-less to radically opposed in an instant.

It might be important to note that the Bible is not intrinsically against homosexuality:

[i]1 Corinthians 6:9-10 [/i]- This verse speaks against homosexal prostitution as cult prostitution was a big issue at the time, especially in the church and those affliliated with the church who worked in the church...thus propogating sex outside of marriage, which is the main concern with this section of Corinthians.

Genesis 19 - Sodom and Gomorrah - Look at Ezekiel 16:49 which states "Behold, this was the iniquity of your sister Sodom, pride, fullness of food, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy." (from the KJV since I don't have my NRSV near me.) Tell me where homosexuality is mentioned? Rape is the issue at hand, not two men having sex, and not just rape, but rape of angelic creatures.

Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13 - These verses speak about homosexuality as an abombination and many other things such as mixed crops, mixed fabric, tattoos, shaving, cutting hair over the temples of the head, ect...these rules are what is known as the Holiness Code which was written specifically for the Israeli priests, not for laymen.

[i]Romans 1:26-27 [/i]- Speaks of prostitution and natural/unnatural actions. If you are born homosexual, it is unnatural to have sex with women, just as if you are born heterosexual it is unnatural to have sex with women. Nothing against natural homosexual relations.

I think thats all of the ones that speak on anything about homosexuality,there might be one or two I missed but the Bible does not condemn homosexuality at all within the bounds of mutually loving men/women inside wedlock.

Honestly I'm gonna keep my answer sort and simple if you have an issue with gay marriage you confuse me, love is love even if it's between members of the same sex. What makes it so wrong for to guys to suck each others faces off but two hormonal teenagers in line at a taco bell do it and it's true love. Now to end it with some humor even of this is a serious discussion I don't care if two dudes want to get together and tongue punch each others fart boxes all power to ya.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Tyler' timestamp='1343961153' post='553210']
It might be important to note that the Bible is not intrinsically against homosexuality:

[i]1 Corinthians 6:9-10 [/i]- This verse speaks against homosexal prostitution as cult prostitution was a big issue at the time, especially in the church and those affliliated with the church who worked in the church...thus propogating sex outside of marriage, which is the main concern with this section of Corinthians.

Genesis 19 - Sodom and Gomorrah - Look at Ezekiel 16:49 which states "Behold, this was the iniquity of your sister Sodom, pride, fullness of food, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy." (from the KJV since I don't have my NRSV near me.) Tell me where homosexuality is mentioned? Rape is the issue at hand, not two men having sex, and not just rape, but rape of angelic creatures.

Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13 - These verses speak about homosexuality as an abombination and many other things such as mixed crops, mixed fabric, tattoos, shaving, cutting hair over the temples of the head, ect...these rules are what is known as the Holiness Code which was written specifically for the Israeli priests, not for laymen.

[i]Romans 1:26-27 [/i]- Speaks of prostitution and natural/unnatural actions. If you are born homosexual, it is unnatural to have sex with women, just as if you are born heterosexual it is unnatural to have sex with women. Nothing against natural homosexual relations.

I think thats all of the ones that speak on anything about homosexuality,there might be one or two I missed but the Bible does not condemn homosexuality at all within the bounds of mutually loving men/women inside wedlock.
[/quote]
Yet it's look at as "one of the worst sins" lol

Didn't God say to not judge? Aren't they judging? If they were true Christians, they'd leave the judging up to God and let these people live their lives.

[quote name='DrSmokes' timestamp='1343962257' post='553211'][img]http://www.imagesnatcher.com/img/681a056dd2fd41e1/f5c2aa.png[/img][/quote]
This might be humorous but I really like it then again howard non Christians do that every weekend either we can't religiously discriminate here.

Just to clarify, the "judge lets ye be judged" reference refers to be weary of holding others to a standard beyond what God has laid out, lest at the white thrown judgment you will be judged by your own standard.

JFTR: There is a 3 month waiting period to help serve meals at our Homeless Shelter in Wichita Falls. Your picture is irrelevant.

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1343964909' post='553218']Just to clarify, the "judge lets ye be judged" reference refers to be weary of holding others to a standard beyond what God has laid out, lest at the white thrown judgment you will be judged by your own standard.

JFTR: There is a 3 month waiting period to help serve meals at our Homeless Shelter in Wichita Falls. Your picture is irrelevant.[/quote]
Not to be a dick but find another way to give back. I am a former homeless youth (lived in a homeless shelter and everything) an have began volunteering at speaking events for homeless youth. There is actually an annual walk coming up soon that I intend on going to. My guitar teacher has played a benefit show every year for eleven years for the same charity I usually speak at. There is always a way to give back you just need to look.