Shooting In Denver...

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1342814208' post='552241']
[quote name='Pavo21' timestamp='1342812828' post='552236']
I think the death penalty is nice. But instead just drop them in a jungle or desert give them a weeks worth of survival stuff and say "don't die" and they will be so far from civilization they would just die. It's not like anyone would care if they got a proper burial. I wouldn't after something like that.
[/quote]

In addition, I think we should completely and totally block identity of these people. Federal law prohibiting the media from broadcasting anything about them, etc., because a substantial part of what they do is for their 15 minutes of attention. If no one is ever going to know they did it, they're less likely to go down the whole "blaze of glory" road.

'Rani
[/quote]

We are thinking alike... one of us must be off our nut.

The media showing pix, and acting like their life is an Easter egg hunt full of goodies to be discovered is absolutely zero help whatsoever. I can't imagine what his family is going through. In the end they get crucified, shunned, and treated miserable.

We have averaged 2 mass shooting events every year since Columbine. Sure looking like more laws aren't helping. On the other hand, since then, more people that would have been institutionalized years ago, are out on the streets now. It is far harder to commit a possible mental case now, than it was 30 years ago. Might be something we need to look at. Punishment ex post facto is of no help in preventing these cases. Zero, nada, zip, won't help. You can draw, hang, guillotine, quarter, then resurrect them and repeat... it won't stop these types. The solution is spotting the potential actors, trying to get them proper care, then removing all motivational influences. Until we do that we will be forever trying to plug an unpluggable hole after the dam has broken.
  • Upvote 1

I'm not sure if any of you have been watching the news today but, the media is having a field day with this. The story has gone from shooting, to his family, and now to how he was a med student studying neurology and is now almost and I don't want to say this word but glorifying how bright of a person this douche bag is. This story on the news is getting out of hand and they should focus on the progress of the victims that are injured and killed and let the world known who they were instead of focusing on him.

I also saw this in a earlier post about conceal and carry, I'm a big supporter of this and I believe Colorado is a conceal and carry state. The only problem with what happen here is it was mostly kids, teenagers and young adults in this movie theater, it was a helpless group of people that were shot injured and killed, I highly doubt any of them even had a license for conceal and carry, and even if some of the adults there had it, most of them thought it was part of the show and when they realized it wasn't it was too late. If this wouldn't have happened in a movie theater I think the circumstances would have been way different.

It's a tragedy that we don't know how to prevent savage acts like this.

We could try (and probably are trying) to find who amongst us is capable of doing such barbaric things before they do them, but we'll most likely miss a few who would do their terrible deeds anyway. Maybe in the future we'll be better at determining a person's mental health early enough to put them on a different path. We had better get it right or we'll find ourselves losing people who would never be violent and might contribute more than we can imagine. It's an ultra-fine line between genius and insanity.

We could try banning "assault rifles", but the most deadly gun he had was a shotgun. Banning all guns would mean only the bad guys and governments would have them (maybe they're the same group). Then we'd all be vulnerable to whatever the folks with guns wanted to do to us. We've been there and done that, and it doesn't work.

I learned a long time ago the answer to a question people always ask after something tragic happens. Why does God let a tragedy happen? The answer is - to bring from it a greater good. We can't always see the greater good immediately. Sometimes it happens way after we're gone. We may not even recognize it when it happens. I know some of you aren't particularly religious, but my faith keeps me sane in this insane world. And that's enough for me.

I'll try to shed some insight! First off, I live about an hour south of Aurora. Second, I work at a movie theater

[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1342811022' post='552235']

I gotta ask myself why:
1)the local PD didn't have anyone at the midnight opening of such a big movie, in such a big cinema. [color="#ff0000"]For something like this, yes, there was police coverage, however, the police department will only send one officer to cover the entire theater.[/color]
2)why the back door was accessible from a back parking area with no security whatsoever. [color="#ff0000"]Those side doors (I'm familiar with that specific theater as well as the chain) have no handles on the outside. Also, they're built to be so they can't be kicked open, and they swing outward. Someone would have had to open the door from the inside.[/color]
3)how this fucktard knew that door would be open. - most of all this one bothers me. [color=#ff0000]As I stated above, they have to be opened from the inside. Those doors are designed as emergency exits. [/color]

[/quote]

Damn shame this happened. After finally getting over the worst fire in state history then this, I think everyone in this state needs a break

[quote name='CO_hookah' timestamp='1342843567' post='552264']
I'll try to shed some insight! First off, I live about an hour south of Aurora. Second, I work at a movie theater

[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1342811022' post='552235']
I gotta ask myself why:
1)the local PD didn't have anyone at the midnight opening of such a big movie, in such a big cinema. [color=#ff0000]For something like this, yes, there was police coverage, however, the police department will only send one officer to cover the entire theater.[/color]
2)why the back door was accessible from a back parking area with no security whatsoever. [color=#ff0000]Those side doors (I'm familiar with that specific theater as well as the chain) have no handles on the outside. Also, they're built to be so they can't be kicked open, and they swing outward. Someone would have had to open the door from the inside.[/color]
3)how this fucktard knew that door would be open. - most of all this one bothers me. [color=#ff0000]As I stated above, they have to be opened from the inside. Those doors are designed as emergency exits. [/color]

[/quote]

Damn shame this happened. After finally getting over the worst fire in state history then this, I think everyone in this state needs a break
[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up last night Nate, I was at home about 45 miles away so im safe and sound. I knew one of the victims as she was a hockey reporter and a big canucks fan. As for the gunman he bought a ticket then left the theater through the sidedoor and propped it open then came back in. Thats how he got in. There is no law that can prevent this type of stuff from happening, there are some crazies out there and you just have to be on guard. Its very scary to think that this can happen any where at any time by anyone but its the truth and the only thing you can do is protect your self.

for sure wade! I was glad to hear that you were ok.

As for the media, etc. BS that follows.. In our current society, this always happens. The media corrupts the information present and spins it.. seemingly ALWAYS in the wrong direction..

So exactly how many were killed/injured? Different reports have different numbers... I think I've narrowed it down to either 12 or 14 dead, and somewhere around 50 injured. Either way, so sad, and my thoughts go out to the victims and their families.

[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1342835770' post='552262']
It's a tragedy that we don't know how to prevent savage acts like this.

We could try (and probably are trying) to find who amongst us is capable of doing such barbaric things before they do them, but we'll most likely miss a few who would do their terrible deeds anyway. Maybe in the future we'll be better at determining a person's mental health early enough to put them on a different path. We had better get it right or we'll find ourselves losing people who would never be violent and might contribute more than we can imagine. It's an ultra-fine line between genius and insanity.

We could try banning "assault rifles", but the most deadly gun he had was a shotgun. Banning all guns would mean only the bad guys and governments would have them (maybe they're the same group). Then we'd all be vulnerable to whatever the folks with guns wanted to do to us. We've been there and done that, and it doesn't work.

I learned a long time ago the answer to a question people always ask after something tragic happens. Why does God let a tragedy happen? The answer is - to bring from it a greater good. We can't always see the greater good immediately. Sometimes it happens way after we're gone. We may not even recognize it when it happens. I know some of you aren't particularly religious, but my faith keeps me sane in this insane world. And that's enough for me.
[/quote]

Banning guns is most certainly NOT, I REPEAT, NOT the way to solve these crimes. There is only ONE thing that banning guns will accomplish: taking them out of the hands of people who are NOT criminals.
The bottom line is 90% of crimes with firearms are by people who obtained ILLEGAL guns ILLEGALLY in the first place. Therefore, ban all you want. These people will STILL obtain firearms one way or another.

As one who lives in Aurora I'll try and clarify a few things. James Holmes had bought a ticket early and entered the theater, and propped the door open from the inside. Things like this are so rare that nobody thinks to check these before every movie. Perhaps an oversight, but I can't blame the police/theater. If I had to guess, there was most definitely at least one cop there. When the movie started, he left the theater through this door, dressed out and grabbed his guns and re-entered about 15 minutes into the movie. From what I've seen mostly, he threw two tear gas canisters and then shot one of his guns into the air. Once people started fleeing/dropping, he started walking up the stairway on the left side of the screen.

Century 16 is stadium seating, which made it easy for him to shoot at people running for the exits. Police were alerted and arrived on scene within a minute or two (that area of Aurora is not necessarily horrible, but they have a lot of youth, so the police tend to stay close). At some point, he left the theater and began walking away. The police later saw him walking and caught up to him. There is an audio clip of the police scanners from the first call onward. I personally was only able to make it a few minutes in before it got too overwhelming for me.

In total there were 71 shot: 12 dead, one of which was six years old. Several bullets entered an adjacent theater and wounded several others. The remaining injured were hospitalized, but most made it out the same day. Last I heard there were still 9 in critical condition, but that was early this morning. 10 victims died in the theater, the 2 others in the hospitals.

As someone who lives in Aurora (used to live right next to that mall, even worked there for a time) this event upset me in a way I've never been before. My sister accepted an invitation to see the movie, something she'd wanted to do for months. She actually invited me, but I worked early. I'm thankful she decided to go the party instead.

His apartment had been boobie-trapped to the teeth; anyone entering would have been killed for certain. The bomb squad managed to disarm his devices and detonate them safely in a field east of Aurora.
  • Upvote 1

I'm glad you and your sister are well CP...... The gun grabbers are out in full force about this and Colorado, a wonderfully beautiful and free state is taking a lot of heat for "lax" gun laws. It's likely that after Columbine and this, Colorado will have people trying to pass dozens of stricter laws in the state. And that would do is give any career criminals ample access against an unarmed society around them. And honestly, the thing that scares me most is that if these laws continue to pass we will end up with arms only in the hands of criminals and the state. And that's the worst thing that could possibly happen I think. Our government IS corrupt at this point in history. I doubt anyone is naive enough to believe otherwise. Hell, I'd trust a gangbanger fully loaded and protecting his hood sooner than I'd trust the government being the only ones armed.

I think it's important to note that Holmes had no criminal record, or known history of mental illness. He was until just recently, on the fast track for what our society has come to believe is success. The fancy title, etc. He seems to have had a normal middle class childhood. There is no way anyone could have had any indication this would happen. Something is wrong with our society when this looks like a viable option to a relatively normal individual when his life goes a little wrong. Part of it is certainly glorifying their actions with all the media coverage. I'm thinking we should all be writing our senators today requesting they put forth a bill banning identification of the culprits. When Scotsman and I agree on the same principle, it's likely to actually be a good one, considering we're polar opposites on the liberal/conservative scale. We ban identification of minors, there's no reason we can't do the same for mass murderers. I think it would help keep this from happening. In this case it's a matter of "no fame, no gain".

'Rani

To add to what Rani said, it truly is pathetic that these people get all this attention after the shit they do. Blame the media.
Try google searching The Dark Knight in hopes of movie information....good luck. All you get is link to stories about this piece of shit killing people.

In Missouri, we allow concealed carry with a permit; but businesses can "opt out" of allowing that by posting a specific sign. Now, with that in mind, the penalty for carrying anyway is.....you can be asked to leave. Seriously. In my CCW class, they were referred to as "the 7 places you can't carry unless you want to". If you refuse to leave; then they can call the cops, and the cops can....tell you to leave. If you still refuse (I have no idea why at this point...), then you get arrested and can't have your weapon or your ccw for 1 year.

Now, I know in Texas, for example, violating that sign is quite serious; you're arrested and charged and loose your ccw and all sorts of other "Very Bad Things".

Anyone know what it's like in CO? I know I read that all the theaters this company owns post "no carry" signs, but I wonder what the penalty for violating that might be.

All told, rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

[quote name='thejon' timestamp='1343076857' post='552366']

All told, rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
[/quote]

This.
Here in Louisiana, all you have to say is you felt that your life was in jeopardy. Someone even pointing a gun at you or walking at you with a knife/ other weapon that can harm you or kill you, justifies self defense.
in other words: You can shoot the bastard clean and clear.

Same here. Alabama is also an open carry state, but I prefer nobody knows I'm armed.

On my job when I drive onto a school campus to check their gas line and meter, I'm breaking umpteen laws - knives, firearm, tobacco, and drugs (prescription type).

CCW doesn't mean a thing under these conditions. Good grief... that is all I hear/see/read any time someone discusses this asshole, and the slaughter he perpetrated. I have competed in IPSC since it's early days, placed in the top 3 at state level more than once, and I know I would not have been able to engage that asshole with anything I could have stuck under anything smaller than a parka. A dark room with flashing movie illumination, caught 100% off guard, in a panicking/stampeding crowd, gassed with a few grenades, and confronted with an asshole clad head-to-toe in black assault armor that is rated proof to any handgun. ya, sure, any hero that thinks he would stop that is just plain too stupid to have a CCW.

And we today found out that this was another murderous criminal taking heavy doses of Rx meds (SSRI's & pain killers are being reported). You know, the one thing that ties almost all of the spree-shooters together is their use of psycho-altering/SSRI Rx in the hours preceding the event. As much as I hate more laws, and regulations, one has to wonder how a dr can write an Rx for something that studies show can make users 20 times more likely to commit violent acts, but that doesn't show up on any background check. It's just plain stupid. What makes anyone think it's a good idea to allow a person seeing a physician/shink for any psychological problems to just be able to lie on their 4473, and we don't have any way for those same dr's to report the headcase with recognized clinical mental problems to any database. I can't buy a damn OTC decongestant at wal-mart without showing an ID, and begging the pill-pusher behind the counter for a box of 12 sudafed... but the gov't thinks it's fine to pass out the crazy-pills with no records of who is taking them, and leave their ability to purchase a weapon completely unfettered. And you wonder where the crazies like this orange-headed-asshole are coming from? doesn't take a genius to connect the dots. The FDA Adverse Event Reporting System even catalogues the drugs that have been reported as liked to homicidal behavoiur, and still no one sees fit to take action to control those that get an Rx for the poison. Pharmaceutical company lobbyists try to tell us if people knew their use of psycho-altering drugs would be reported, or could keep them from certain things, people in "need" of poison-therapy would not seek the help they needed. Sounds like a lame excuse, but it's all bottom-line with big pharma. It is also why the head-case database didn't get implemented with the fed background check requirement law.

Put that poison in your body, and you don't have a right to have a weapon of any form.
seek mental help for, and be diagnosed with mental problems, and you really have zero right to a weapon.

[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1343196960' post='552532']
CCW doesn't mean a thing under these conditions. Good grief... that is all I hear/see/read any time someone discusses this asshole, and the slaughter he perpetrated. I have competed in IPSC since it's early days, placed in the top 3 at state level more than once, and I know I would not have been able to engage that asshole with anything I could have stuck under anything smaller than a parka. A dark room with flashing movie illumination, caught 100% off guard, in a panicking/stampeding crowd, gassed with a few grenades, and confronted with an asshole clad head-to-toe in black assault armor that is rated proof to any handgun. ya, sure, any hero that thinks he would stop that is just plain too stupid to have a CCW.

[/quote]
Slow your role a bit there.
I think we settled the fact that no one would have been able to get a shot on him. I think the point everyone was getting at was in general, a CCW is certainly a good ting to have.

And we today found out that this was another murderous criminal taking heavy doses of Rx meds (SSRI's & pain killers are being reported). You know, the one thing that ties almost all of the spree-shooters together is their use of psycho-altering/SSRI Rx in the hours preceding the event. As much as I hate more laws, and regulations, one has to wonder how a dr can write an Rx for something that studies show can make users 20 times more likely to commit violent acts, but that doesn't show up on any background check. It's just plain stupid. What makes anyone think it's a good idea to allow a person seeing a physician/shink for any psychological problems to just be able to lie on their 4473, and we don't have any way for those same dr's to report the headcase with recognized clinical mental problems to any database. I can't buy a damn OTC decongestant at wal-mart without showing an ID, and begging the pill-pusher behind the counter for a box of 12 sudafed... but the gov't thinks it's fine to pass out the crazy-pills with no records of who is taking them, and leave their ability to purchase a weapon completely unfettered. And you wonder where the crazies like this orange-headed-asshole are coming from? doesn't take a genius to connect the dots. The FDA Adverse Event Reporting System even catalogues the drugs that have been reported as liked to homicidal behavoiur, and still no one sees fit to take action to control those that get an Rx for the poison. Pharmaceutical company lobbyists try to tell us if people knew their use of psycho-altering drugs would be reported, or could keep them from certain things, people in "need" of poison-therapy would not seek the help they needed. Sounds like a lame excuse, but it's all bottom-line with big pharma. It is also why the head-case database didn't get implemented with the fed background check requirement law.

Put that poison in your body, and you don't have a right to have a weapon of any form.
seek mental help for, and be diagnosed with mental problems, and you really have zero right to a weapon.
[/quote]

wow...this is why I normally avoid serious discussion for posts like this

I take psychotropic meds...geodone, effexor xr, vistiril, and benzos such as klonopin and xanax ...I function perfect in society with the aid of these meds(I'm weaning off a few now after years of wrongful treatment due to idiot shrinks)...but I'm fine. I was picked on growing up, beat up etc...but I'm a pacifist, couldn't hurt a fly unless my life or a loved one's is at risk...I own a rifle, soon to have a pistol and CCW and maybe even an assault rifle. there are many guns in my house, but I would never use them for harm, just defense. I suffered two mental breakdowns, I know where all the guns, ammo, clips are and I didn't do something like this nor did I use one on myself when I was suicidal. I respect human life and I respect guns. I have been shooting since I was four years old ...I suppose you feel I shouldn't be allowed near a gun?

You have insulted me sir

[quote name='r1v3th3ad' timestamp='1343242317' post='552556']

[/quote]

wow...this is why I normally avoid serious discussion for posts like this

I take psychotropic meds...geodone, effexor xr, vistiril, and benzos such as klonopin and xanax ...I function perfect in society with the aid of these meds(I'm weaning off a few now after years of wrongful treatment due to idiot shrinks)...but I'm fine. I was picked on growing up, beat up etc...but I'm a pacifist, couldn't hurt a fly unless my life or a loved one's is at risk...I own a rifle, soon to have a pistol and CCW and maybe even an assault rifle. there are many guns in my house, but I would never use them for harm, just defense. I suffered two mental breakdowns, I know where all the guns, ammo, clips are and I didn't do something like this nor did I use one on myself when I was suicidal. I respect human life and I respect guns. I have been shooting since I was four years old ...I suppose you feel I shouldn't be allowed near a gun?

You have insulted me sir
[/quote]

Not to make light of Scotsman's post............. But you're not a normal functioning human being until you've been insulted by him.

Scotsman, a substantial portion of the population has mental health issues at one time or another stretching all the way from mild depression lasting a few months, to extreme schizophrenia, etc. What's more, Holmes had ZERO history of mental health issues. So if we're going to impose that standard on someone's ability to purchase a gun, maybe we should require a breakdown before being able to purchase them, hmmm? That way we'll at least know they've been examined and treated, won't we?

'Rani

Rani, you are wrong in the statement he wasn't under treatment. He was being seen by a psychiatrist that was a member of school faculty, specialized in schizophrenia, and was a member of the school's "threat assessment team". I think that really would qualify for being under care, don't you? Even more, his mother made a statement that she had tried to get him into counseling prior to the treatment by Dr Lynne Fenton. (By the way, in the last day or so the school has deleted Fenton's bio from their website. It would appear they are running from the liability resulting from some half-assed "treatment" at this point.)

Fenton was the prescribing provider for SSRI's and mood altering meds. Going to see more of that come out as it leaks past the gag order.

Rivethead, my friend, if you choose to take facts as insults, that is not what was intended. I was making a statement of what I knew to be facts supported by more than a few legitimate studies, patient information data provided by the poison... er, I mean drug companies, and legal president from multiple court cases where a positive defense was, in fact, found through claiming meds caused an unpredicted, sudden break with reality, or violent outburst. It was not intended as any form argumentum ad hominem, taking it as such is a bit weak.

Obviously, while I do not make light of anyone's illnesses, your breakdowns did not require hospitalization, for that you are lucky. Not everyone that suffers problems will have that mild of problems.

Sorry for the slow reply, I was enjoying the Texas sunshine.

[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1343682213' post='552923']
Rani, you are wrong in the statement he wasn't under treatment. He was being seen by a psychiatrist that was a member of school faculty, specialized in schizophrenia, and was a member of the school's "threat assessment team". I think that really would qualify for being under care, don't you? Even more, his mother made a statement that she had tried to get him into counseling prior to the treatment by Dr Lynne Fenton. (By the way, in the last day or so the school has deleted Fenton's bio from their website. It would appear they are running from the liability resulting from some half-assed "treatment" at this point.)

Fenton was the prescribing provider for SSRI's and mood altering meds. Going to see more of that come out as it leaks past the gag order.

Rivethead, my friend, if you choose to take facts as insults, that is not what was intended. I was making a statement of what I knew to be facts supported by more than a few legitimate studies, patient information data provided by the poison... er, I mean drug companies, and legal president from multiple court cases where a positive defense was, in fact, found through claiming meds caused an unpredicted, sudden break with reality, or violent outburst. It was not intended as any form argumentum ad hominem, taking it as such is a bit weak.

Obviously, while I do not make light of anyone's illnesses, your breakdowns did not require hospitalization, for that you are lucky. Not everyone that suffers problems will have that mild of problems.

[/quote]

They only found out about his treatment in the last couple days. As of the time I wrote this, they'd been unable to find any record of his having been treated. In addition I've been told that contrary to what the media likes to portray, schizophrenia is rarely violent against others. And I was told this during the time I was putting myself through junior college working at an outpatient facility. Kinda prone to trust the many doctors we had on staff.

'Rani

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1343692060' post='552930']
[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1343682213' post='552923']

[/quote]

They only found out about his treatment in the last couple days. As of the time I wrote this, they'd been unable to find any record of his having been treated. In addition I've been told that contrary to what the media likes to portray, schizophrenia is rarely violent against others. And I was told this during the time I was putting myself through junior college working at an outpatient facility. Kinda prone to trust the many doctors we had on staff.

[b]EDIT: Sorry, screwed up..... Should have said, unable to confirm an official record of his having been treated. They were looking and there had been allegations he was under treatment but they were unable to confirm it. Undoubtedly because of the difficulty crossing the patient confidentiality barrier that required court orders, etc., to verify.[/b]

'Rani
[/quote]

I have been skeptical of the medical profession all my life. I guess we look at that whole subject from opposite sides of the booby-hatch

It seems the good doc had been previously reprimanded for her rather unethical use of the prescription pad.

[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1343698783' post='552939']
I have been skeptical of the medical profession all my life. I guess we look at that whole subject from opposite sides of the booby-hatch

It seems the good doc had been previously reprimanded for her rather unethical use of the prescription pad.
[/quote]

That's because it's simple Scotsman...... Doctors make you sick.

'Rani