The New Generation

Hello guys ! Since we are on a hookah forum, i guess you are all over 18 which means you all had a nice and real childhood. I'm almost 23 and i want to discuss with you about a serious problem : the behavior of the children/youngsters nowdays. I'm going to share with you what i saw in the last years in my country and in other places from Europe.

When i was a kid, i used to play soccer in the school yard. I was doin' that all day long ! I also played lots of games with my friends, i used to love spending my time outside and when i had money i used to spend all of it on sweets. In the elementary school, i played soccer in the school team and i used to spend a lot of time with my good friends. We all used to buy CDs with good music and relaxing at my place.
I thought the childhood will stay and be the same for everyone, for every generation ! But i was so wrong ! Youngsters nowdays spend their time in their houses, playing games like WOW, LOL, Dota and so on, listening to crappy music like Justin Beaber or Skrillex and being rude with their parents and older people. Well, that's quite awful but there is MUCH more that those bad habbits.

I see 7-8 years old kids smoking cigarettes like grown ups on the streets. They have a dirty vocabulary and an agressive behavior. I see young girls ( 12- 13 years old ) wearing short skirts and strident makeups. They talk about money, sex and buzz. They love parties and older boys with cars and badass attitude. Those youths think glossy vampires, emo style and stupidity are cool things and those s**ts represent their lifestyle.
Still not bad enought, huh? Well you're right ! They are just a bunch of spoiled little bastards but that's not all !

In 2008, on the romanian market arrived new products called dream products or ethnobotanicals. Those things supposed to be bathroom salt and fertilizers. In fact, those things are DRUGS ! Completely LEGAL drugs ! You are thinking "Oh, c'mon ! That can't be so bad ! It's legal though !" but the reality is completely different. Those drugs killed over 50 youths in Romania in just 2 years ( 2008-2010 ) because those drugs are highly synthetical. Also, many of them give you a strong addictin. In 2010 the romanian government decided to ban those substances but, the guys who made the drugs were quite "smart" and they created other drugs. I'm a medical student so i spend a lot of time in a teaching hospital. I was horrified to see kids being almost killed by those drugs. The saddest thing is that those drugs are quite popular and many assholes sell it to youths even if they are not 18. Now, it became a trend ! LOTS of youngsters do drugs and drink alcohol in the same time and this mixture could be deadly.

Now, i want to see other stories from other countries. Share your thoughts, opinions etc about this subject.

I agree.. The whole words standards of 'parenting' seem to have dropped at a staggering and frightening rate. There are many good parents still, of course, but even good parenting when societies 'normal' and most popular media outlets promote the behavior and habits you described. The few 'bad apples' corrupt their peers, and then it works at an exponential rate. Before we know it, most of the children are 'bad apples'.

I think the only way to change this in the dramatic way that is necessary we'd have to focus on society as a whole, not just parenting. This includes music, television, internet, schools, lower/no tolerance for providing these things to minors, etc.

The problem with that, is that it would take a great deal of stripping away peoples freedoms and then that opens an entirely insane can of worms.

It's really mind boggling when you sit and ponder this for even a few minutes. As I said before, it is very disturbing.. Yet another sign that our world NEEDS a major overhaul starting from the top.

Kids will always be kids, and have bad taste, but legal drugs? Fuck that shit! I am not someone who thinks that the govt. should interfere in every aspect of our lives, but there is something wrong if it is allowing something like that to be given to kids.

[url="http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/43667-are-kids-worse-than-they-used-to-be/"]http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/43667-are-kids-worse-than-they-used-to-be/[/url]

There is a huge unhappiness infesting the world and it's getting worse. We're being divided by bigotry, and destroyed upon the altar of money by a predatory greed. And what does that have to do with raising children? It's creating a pervasive hopelessness in ourselves where we aren't involved anymore. Not in our children, not really in our own lives. Faith has become a fast-food religion of rules and regulations where only following the rules of your particular preacher matters. Faith has lost it's joy and communion with the divinity that dwells partly in all of us. People work too long hours at jobs that barely pay a living wage if they're lucky. They then go home to television to zone out and dump the stress of the day. On the way, they likely picked up if not fast food, then something "quick-fix" and easy from the market. If they go out with friends on the weekends, it's probably a night filled with booze and complaining about their lives. People are unhappy all over the world right now because we're going in the wrong direction. We're climbing "the ladder to success" so hard that it isn't until we get to the top at the end of our lives that we realize it's been against the wrong wall the whole time. And the one thing we can't get back is the time we wasted climbing it.

Meanwhile, the kids have been at school all day, and the only time they see their parents is when they sitting in the easy chair in front of the television with a beer in hand. So the hopelessness descends on the children. But children aren't so easily beaten down as adults who have conformed. They're little savages still and savages rebel. They don't settle, they push the envelope. They lash out. And worst of all, they blame themselves. Children do not have a sense of perspective. They always assume the malaise is somehow related to them. All of that combines into a self-destructive urge that leads to experimenting with a whole lot of things. And the dealers are feeding it.

If we want better children and a generation who will survive, then we have to get ourselves in gear and do things differently. We have to find our compassion. We have to be families again. Extended families that include neighbors, and people very different from ourselves. We have to stop the finger pointing, and hating because some idiot behind a pulpit told us to be gay, or black, or a woman, or another faith is evil. The only way to save our children is to bring them closer to us in a way filled with compassion, and joy, and love. We have to change the direction we're heading in now. And if we don't? I suspect "end of the world" is probably an understatement.

'Rani
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1341671620' post='551069']
Kids will always be kids, and have bad taste, but legal drugs? Fuck that shit! I am not someone who thinks that the govt. should interfere in every aspect of our lives, but there is something wrong if it is allowing something like that to be given to kids.
[/quote]

Like i said, those legal drugs represent a major issue in my country and not only. Holland has the same problem.

@rani: didn't see the other topic..sorry

Is civilization going down the drain or coming up out of the drain? I think neither. We're just hovering around the middle somewhere. No progress forward and none backwards. About average compared to any other era. We have nicer toys, but we are still a brutish species. We have our moments, especially when something threatens us as a whole. We come together and then drift back apart. All an individual can do is try to make their little part of the world better.

And get off my lawn, you young whippersnappers!!
:lol:
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1341693237' post='551091']
Is civilization going down the drain or coming up out of the drain? I think neither. We're just hovering around the middle somewhere. No progress forward and none backwards. About average compared to any other era. We have nicer toys, but we are still a brutish species. We have our moments, especially when something threatens us as a whole. We come together and then drift back apart. All an individual can do is try to make their little part of the world better.

[/quote]
[img]http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp52/mrryno/Get_Off_My_Lawn374.jpg[/img]
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1341693237' post='551091']

[/quote]

Enjoyed reading this.

[quote name='ryno' timestamp='1341693967' post='551093']
[img]http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp52/mrryno/Get_Off_My_Lawn374.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
Where did you find that photo of me?!? :lol:

Yes kids are horrible these days, but nothin we can do about it since they won't listen to us. We aren't their parents. But they will change down the line in life. Because they will notice how bad their world is.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?fbiyyx

I think perhaps kids are just as bad as they used to be, it's just now with how well connected we are due to the Internet and such, we hear more about their shenanigans. Also, it gives them more of an opportunity to do said shenanigans (cyber bullying, etc.). Having cell phones at the age of 12 doesn't help, either. I didn't get a cell phone until I was 16, and I would say that my kid won't either, but really I think I would want my kid to have one to be able to reach me in case of an emergency. I believe that is how parents feel about it and why they ultimately let their kids have them even when they really shouldn't due to the problems that can come with it. It's just all about teaching the kids to do the right thing and be responsible, I guess. Of course they're going to make mistakes but hell, didn't we? Just gotta do your best as parents and hope they turn out okay. :lol:

On the topic of bath salts, they're gonna be the cause of the zombie apocalypse, didn't ya hear? :P

[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1341709599' post='551106']
As the wise man Homer Simpson said, "Children are our future. Unless we stop them now."
[/quote]

You, sir, are the best ! :lol: :lol:

The 20s, the 30s, the 50s, the 70s, the 90s, and now 2010. It's all basically the same......legal mary Jane, legal LSD, now legal baths salts, parents will always look upon the younger generations as "less" truth be told the do called "better" generations have not done a bang up job running this world either. Time is time.

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1341682938' post='551084']
There is a huge unhappiness infesting the world and it's getting worse. We're being divided by bigotry, and destroyed upon the altar of money by a predatory greed. And what does that have to do with raising children? It's creating a pervasive hopelessness in ourselves where we aren't involved anymore. Not in our children, not really in our own lives. Faith has become a fast-food religion of rules and regulations where only following the rules of your particular preacher matters. Faith has lost it's joy and communion with the divinity that dwells partly in all of us. People work too long hours at jobs that barely pay a living wage if they're lucky. They then go home to television to zone out and dump the stress of the day. On the way, they likely picked up if not fast food, then something "quick-fix" and easy from the market. If they go out with friends on the weekends, it's probably a night filled with booze and complaining about their lives. People are unhappy all over the world right now because we're going in the wrong direction. We're climbing "the ladder to success" so hard that it isn't until we get to the top at the end of our lives that we realize it's been against the wrong wall the whole time. And the one thing we can't get back is the time we wasted climbing it.

Meanwhile, the kids have been at school all day, and the only time they see their parents is when they sitting in the easy chair in front of the television with a beer in hand. So the hopelessness descends on the children. But children aren't so easily beaten down as adults who have conformed. They're little savages still and savages rebel. They don't settle, they push the envelope. They lash out. And worst of all, they blame themselves. Children do not have a sense of perspective. They always assume the malaise is somehow related to them. All of that combines into a self-destructive urge that leads to experimenting with a whole lot of things. And the dealers are feeding it.

If we want better children and a generation who will survive, then we have to get ourselves in gear and do things differently. We have to find our compassion. We have to be families again. Extended families that include neighbors, and people very different from ourselves. We have to stop the finger pointing, and hating because some idiot behind a pulpit told us to be gay, or black, or a woman, or another faith is evil. The only way to save our children is to bring them closer to us in a way filled with compassion, and joy, and love. We have to change the direction we're heading in now. And if we don't? I suspect "end of the world" is probably an understatement.

'Rani
[/quote]

compassion, love and joy? Holy crap, what a load of flower-power BS.

I went for survival in a system run by idiots, learning how to blend in when you need to, realizing anyone that runs an institution that would suspend you for a flintstone's vitamin, but begins the day with the teacher passing out the psycho-altering drugs, is an idiot you gotta put up with, but don't believe a word they say. We had no participation trophies allowed in the house, and no award for being first-place-looser. . That "zero tolerance" also meant zero common sense, and zero chance for a break. I made sure my kids realized there are times when you must win, and times you should back off... and how to tell the difference. That everyone deserves respect until they prove themselves not worthy of that respect. That no one is going to give them anything, all that is worth anything must be fought for, and valued once they had it. Compassion is something that someone earns, and there is, in some circumstances, a fine line between being compassionate, and becoming a victim.

All that happy-sappy gotta be yourself, tolerate everyone, everything, and any behaviour, even if you think it's wrong, is the exact logic that has the nation swirling the drain faster than the tidy-bowl man.

Scotsman, I didn't quote you because between the two of us it's just two damn long..... But you take a vaguely elucidated concept and then add your own incorrectly detailed interpretation on it. When did I ever say compassion wasn't earned? Where did I say tolerate everyone, everything and any behavior? Respect shouldn't have to be earned from ground zero. It should go the other way. Assuming everyone you meet for the first time doesn't deserve respect makes you bitter, paranoid, and just plain grouchy. Give them respect until they diminish it, and even then you have to be careful how you apply it, because you aren't God. You don't get to make up the rules for anyone but yourself. People are miserable and unhappy. There are two ways to have everything you ever want and need. Kill yourself and damage others climbing over them to acquire "things", or WANT LESS. The guy who dies with the most toys isn't the one who wins. It's the guy with the most happiness.

My point is simply that I firmly believe we're going in the wrong direction. Money has become the only God we seem to answer to. And yet you won't be able to take a single dime you earned in your entire lifetime to your grave. Your children will live or die by the values you taught them. Not by whatever material possessions you leave them. The only time anyone "must" win at all costs is if there's potential loss of life involved. Having the bigger car, bigger house, better title, all of that is illusion and worthless. If you haven't taught your children that then don't be surprised if they put you in the hell hole of old age homes because it's cheaper than the good one.

'Rani
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1341669035' post='551068']
The first album I bought as a child was chumbawumba, I think bad taste and youth have always gone hand in hand.
[/quote]

Dude, me too. Hahahah.

I feel like the german "New Generation" did loose their respect opposite some older generations.. Im just 19 years old but did allready notice this change of the youth. When i was young i used the slides of the playgrounds for sliding not for chillout and smoking. I used to be the best guy in playing Pokemon (I STILL LOVE THIS GAME! <3) on Gameboy. And if I saw a older guy I was like "hopefully he doesnt notice me!", stfu and walked on. Now I am this older guy and have to listen to comments of those small kids like "why are u watching me?" and so on.. Everybody of my friends notices this change of the youth but nobody of us really dont know why they changed so heavy..
I really like this topic, never read something like this before in a german forum.. Hopefully u understand my words.. ~,~ :)
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
I have to agree with gramps on this one. Every generation has their thing. When my dad would go to the clubs here in Miami he said the waiters would walk around with mirrored plates offering cocaine like it was water. Kids now are so connected together with social media/ internet that everyone knows who hooked up with who, and who did what. Do I think kids are getting worse, not necessarily, but I do believe that overall respect for people is declining.