Curiosity Got Me Thinking... Stamina Vs. Hookah

I'm sure some of you have seen documentaries on someone doing something for straight up 1 month and seeing the results in the end of what it does to you. Ever seen the marijuana documentary? Or Super Size Me? Well, would anyone be willing to do timing records of them doing short and long distance running from Point A to Point B, then smoking Hookah for one month every single day, and then doing another round of timing themselves of trying to beat their first record? I'm curious to see the results. Edited by Marlow

i cant say that i have done anything like that, but i do know that we do have a great deal of Runners on our forum that smoke daily, i believe Vendetta might be a runner or i could be thinking of someone else. but it would be interesting.

[quote name='Pavo21' timestamp='1341332058' post='550710']
i cant say that i have done anything like that, but i do know that we do have a great deal of Runners on our forum that smoke daily, i believe Vendetta might be a runner or i could be thinking of someone else. but it would be interesting.
[/quote]

Yo Pavo. You are thinking of me I guess. I have that effect on people. :D

Well I do cardio 3 times a week...I simply love a good run. On my cardio days, I just run and run and run, and the people at the gym have to ask me to get off so other people can run too (they have only 4 treadmills at the place), and I smoke at least 2 bowls a day, so I don't know if i will be able to help here, because I love both and can't give up either for a whole month. :D

yah you are always on my mind vimal, but yah idk if i would just willingly give up smoking since we gotta lounge and all, but maybe, JUST maybe someone out there would be willing to do so. but personally i dont think it would have much effect since hookah smoke isn't like cig smoke.

I smoke hookah for hours on end. I work out pretty much every day and I taught fitness and yoga up until just recently. I never noticed any side effects on my breathing or performance. In fact, I continue to get more and more healthy. Increased endurance, stamina, energy, lung capacity, etc

It would be hard to get a "control group" for this one, as most of us regulars smoke daily for hours. That being said, I smoke for at least a couple hours every day and I am a very active person. I do crossfit and am consistently in the upper tier of my classes. I never feel short of breathe or anything like that.

Thanks for the inputs! I do workout at least 3 times a week and I also do go for a jog sometimes. I really never thought it would have a major effect like cigarettes. I just wanted to be on the safe side.

if your asking will smoking hookah have a negitive effect on the IRV of your lungs? Then the answer is yes, simply because smoke doesn't belong in your lungs.

If your question is can you be healthy and smoke? Well some of the greatest athletes are heavy smokers, mainly cigs. Which by most of the hookah society is considered worse as well as the non hookah society believing hookah is worse. Neither point as been proven so far.

The documentary would be cool, but would have a limited market.

But smoke, no matter from what, will shrink the avolie in the lungs.

there is a difference between SMOKE and VAPOR though. Smoke is a result of combustion and vapor is a phase transition. Surely these can not have the same impact on the avolie.

Not exactly a scientific study by any means at all - I play my pipes at a minimum of an hour a day. I have competed for years, in Gr2 piobaireachd. I never really noticed a difference in capacity, or tone, from before I enjoyed narguile to now.

I do notice that if I have a long session the evening before a games day I am just plain lazy.

People who think smoking doesn't affect your health, stamina, breathing are pretty much blind. If you havent experienced the negative affects yet, you will. When I first started out smoking and working out at the gym, I didn't feel that much of a difference. I'm guessing most of you only been smoking for a few years.

If you do work out and smoke daily you should check your heart rate constantly and look at those age/heart rate charts. I've been smoking hookah for 14 years now and I can definitely feel a huge degradation in breathing, stamina, etc. My close friend who's been smoking for like 8 years just got diagnose with a bronchial infection in his lungs, he now has asthma and has to use an inhaler from now on.

Its the same thinking "as long as I work out hard, i can eat whatever i want, not gain weight and stay healthy".