Scared

So theres been about 25 burglaries just this month in my town, my across-the-street-neighbors house has been broken into like 3 or 4 times now. Some other robberies were around the block and up the street. I live in a good friendly neighborhood, I love it. Its pretty and well taken care of, & barely any crime...until now. I'm terrified of being home alone now, even though I have a dog so theres "beware of dog" signs up.. It really sucks when you don't feel safe in your own home :( Edited by brookesaywhatx

Keep your dog, your tools for self-defense, and the phone for the police handy.

Well my dog is a 4 month old pooch on (poodle-bichon friese mix) so he's tiny lol, and I have a knife on a shelf above my bed haha.

Most any dog will give you a warning, and if it's loud enough, it may deter the criminal.

Your best defense is your brain. Stay alert and observant. Know your neighbors and the vehicles they drive so you'll know when you see a person who doesn't belong in your neighborhood.

Personally I'm armed to the teeth and live in a "stand your ground" state. I can shoot even if they haven't yet entered the house.
There's a loaded gun in every room (yes, even the bathroom :D ) plus knives and machetes in strategic locations.

25 burglaries? Damn, that is ridiculous! This may seem a bit extreme but you may want to invest in a gun or something like that. :) Knives won't do much good because you have to be in close contact to use em, and the thieves may be armed.

Not trying to further scare you or anything, but I just think it's good to be safe than sorry.

I can't move out of the area. Not enough $ for that lol.
Like I said its usually a great area...but all of a sudden these chain robberies are happening. The police think its one person in charge directing other people where to go since there all so close together in time and place

[quote name='brookesaywhatx' timestamp='1340058165' post='549524']
I can't move out of the area. Not enough $ for that lol.
Like I said its usually a great area...but all of a sudden these chain robberies are happening. The police think its one person in charge directing other people where to go since there all so close together in time and place
[/quote]

The police are almost certainly right. They found a neighborhood with "easy" pickings and they'll eventually move on. They're looking for just that - easy. So you make sure your home isn't easy. Having a dog helps. So does one of those signs showing the business end of a revolver that says "Never mind the dog, beware of owner", or "Four out of seven days I'm armed. Take your chances today's the day.", etc. Those are available cheaply online. You can also check and see if you can a good deal on an alarm system. Many are less than $100 installed plus a small monthly fee for monitoring. And they put window stickers all over the place. There are also cheap and loud alarms you can just hang on your door with a few moments to deactivate it. They work on motion. Putting up neighborhood watch signs will help. And a few toys left lying around help. No burglar wants to have a quick escape foiled by getting tangled up with toys.

All these things help. Whatever makes it look like a less lucrative and easy target will move them out of your neighborhood and unfortunately, into another one. The police will likely eventually catch them. Criminals aren't the brightest stars in the sky - otherwise they'd be working for Wall Street and ripping you off that way. Just do your best to make it look like you're not an easy target. We went through it in my neighborhood and when the cops went around they told me I was an unlikely target thanks to my cats sitting in the window because anybody breaking it would be afraid to trip on them. (Little do they know a burglar with a piece of chicken would win their undying love and loyalty!) That's really the secret. Make it look like it's more risk than it's worth.

'Rani

Put up a sign in your front yard saying your neighbor has a huge brand new flat-screen tv? :lol:

Install deadbolt locks on all exterior doors. I even have them on the storm doors. Cut shrubbery so that the criminal doesn't have a place to hide while breaking in through the windows. Buy a couple of those compressed-air horns; they're extremely loud and attract attention.

If you come home and notice anything unusual, call the police. Don't go inside your home if you suspect anybody is in there. The police would rather answer a few calls that turn out to be nothing than one call that turns out to be very bad.

Ask for (or demand) increased police patrols. You pay taxes.

Call the police, and they will tell you that no patrols are in the area and it will take an hour for anyone to show up.

Call them 5 minutes later, and tell them to not send any patrols, because you shot the burglars dead. Patrols will show up in 5 minutes. :D
  • Upvote 4

Lol :P you guys are all forgetting I'm an 18 year old girl! I can't just run up on a burglar with a gun lmao

[quote name='brookesaywhatx' timestamp='1340113082' post='549570']
Lol :P you guys are all forgetting I'm an 18 year old girl! I can't just run up on a burglar with a gun lmao
[/quote]

ever thing about pepper spray or Mace? idk if you can buy it in your state tho, some states have laws that only law enforcement officers can carry it.

[/quote]

[img]http://www.scenicreflections.com/ithumbs/lady%20and%20gun%20Wallpaper__yvt2.jpg[/img]

Haha, hey I live in a not so good part of town and I have a knife on me and pepper spray on me 24/7. If you can get pepper spray go for saber they have a "package" that gives you a key chain pepper spray plus one for in house use that I keep by my front door. Even though your dog is small it can still help deter people. I agree with Rani though, make it look like they would lose something, not gain something, from breaking into your place. Your age has nothing to do with defending yourself, a gun is a gun whether your 18 or 80, male or female.

Forget mace, I have a couple of friends on the police force in town. The best thing the say to use is wasp spray. The cans are made to shoot the spray 25 feet, and it will blind the intruder and hurt like hell. Your 1st priority is self defense. I keep a Browning hi power in my night stand. 2 loaded mags, one is 10 round and the other 13 round. I am NRA trained shooting instructor for the Boy Scouts of America. I hit what I aim at. Also my Father was awarded Marksman medals for 20 years in the Air Force and he taught me to shoot. If you are going to arm yourself you need to be trained. Take the Concealed Carry training if your in a state that allows it. You need to be able to control your emotions if you decide to use deadly force. It is a heavy burden if you take a life, even if it is self defense. Make sure your house is secure and Pay for security system if you can afford it. Also there are systems that use balls that have pepper power in them. Dog the Bounty Hunter uses them.
Here's a link to their site. [url="http://www.pepperball.com/"]http://www.pepperball.com/[/url]
If you have ever played paintball you can shoot one of these.
Be safe.
edm
  • Upvote 1

Also of you have a paintball marker, you can order the pepperballs. Or use the paintballs, they will put an eye out and they hurt like hell if the intruder isn't ready for them, shoot for the head..
edm

[/quote]

Not to be a dick, but if those thieves scout the houses they want to hit, they will be counting on that. :)

I wasn't saying I can't shoot a gun... <_< I was saying I've never shot one before and wouldn't even know how..

[quote name='Ed Molt' timestamp='1340156790' post='549609']
Forget mace, I have a couple of friends on the police force in town. The best thing the say to use is wasp spray. The cans are made to shoot the spray 25 feet, and it will blind the intruder and hurt like hell. Your 1st priority is self defense. I keep a Browning hi power in my night stand. 2 loaded mags, one is 10 round and the other 13 round. I am NRA trained shooting instructor for the Boy Scouts of America. I hit what I aim at. Also my Father was awarded Marksman medals for 20 years in the Air Force and he taught me to shoot. If you are going to arm yourself you need to be trained. Take the Concealed Carry training if your in a state that allows it. You need to be able to control your emotions if you decide to use deadly force. It is a heavy burden if you take a life, even if it is self defense. Make sure your house is secure and Pay for security system if you can afford it. Also there are systems that use balls that have pepper power in them. Dog the Bounty Hunter uses them.
Here's a link to their site. [url="http://www.pepperball.com/"]http://www.pepperball.com/[/url]
If you have ever played paintball you can shoot one of these.
Be safe.
edm
[/quote]

Thanks, this was helpful.

Scaring the bad guys off is good. But be sure to keep the police informed of ANY suspicious activity going around. It would be ideal to see this issue permanently resolved to you can get back to your life.

Another thing is one of the scariest sound an intruder can hear is theracking of a pump shotgun. They make beanbag rounds and rubber buckshot rounds, but that may just piss them off if they strung out on something. I would rather just make sure they stay down by udeing regular buckshot.
edm

It may help to have the right attitude, such as:

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall
fear no evil, for I am the meanest son-of-a-bitch in the valley.

Or:
When I wake up in the morning, the monsters under the bed run and hide.
:lol:

My daughter (32) has her concealed carry permit, carries a Smith & Wesson, and is trained to use it. Women [u]can[/u] defend themselves.
  • Upvote 1

First off, the police have zero duty to protect any individual, or respond to any call. Their duty is to protect society as a whole, not an individual body. Repeatedly tested, and repeatedly upheld by SCOTUS.

Only you are responsible to, and able to protect yourself. Quit waiting for the cavalry, they aren't going to get there in time.

Time for that IGA coachgun and a handful of turkey loads.

Being under 21, and in a state that seems to believe only criminals should be armed, you are really limited. Wasp spray? That just sounds like a bad idea. Unless of course, they are a bunch of wasps. Bear spray is better. Might be hard to find, got any Canadian friends? I don't care who they are, or what they are on, that fog and massive amount of spray is going to make breathing hard.

If they are already inside, forget trying to intimidate them with sounds, pumping shotguns, or whatever. Bad idea. Really bad idea. A willingness to win, and knowledge that they are there and are going to hurt you is your greatest advantage. The second greatest advantage is surprise. Don't waste it making noise unless the lead is already airborne

Competently wielding a blade in a close quarters contact is an exceptionally difficult activity. Its really the very last choice. If you find yourself forced into it, something has gone gravely wrong with "plan A". I personally, would avoid an edged weapons encounter if I had any input on the course of events. Smack them with a lamp, and beat them with a sock filled with coins, even resort to the proverbial rolling pin if you have to, but forget the chefs knife.

Gramps, my daughter, keeps herself well armed, but when the crooks tried to crawl through her window in the middle of the night, what does the LCDR stop him with? No, nothing so glorious as waving her 1911 around... she beats the SOB into unconsciousness with a 5' mahogany mason's level. It just takes the desire to survive, and the attitude that you are going to win.