No More Ride For Nj Doggies... Or, More Proof The Country Has Lost It's Mind

If you don't buckle your dog in NJ, you can get a 1000 bone ticket. If that isn't proof the end is near, what is?

After all, how are the blind people supposed to drive with their seeing eye dog seat belted in the back seat?
  • Upvote 1

If you don't buckle your dog, you pay a $1000 fine.
If you don't buckle your child, you pay a $25 fine.

Don't you think they have their priorities ass-backwards?
Absolute nitwits, but I didn't vote for them.
  • Upvote 2

[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1338936595' post='548659']
[/quote]

AHAHA! I fucking love it!

[/quote]

This is humorous but I get pissed everytime I see a dog on the lap of someone driving a car. $1000 is good income for the local government and I think people who think loving their dog is more important than operating the moving vehicle that they are responsible for should rethink their priorities.

I don't think this law is aimed at people with a labrador in the bed of a truck but at people with a poodle in the driver seat of a BMW.

When some dog shits in the lap of the guy driving the other way and he swerves into my lane, I'm gonna wish he had been hit with a $1000 ticket.

[quote name='Skoozle' timestamp='1338953807' post='548685']
[/quote]

This is humorous but I get pissed everytime I see a dog on the lap of someone driving a car. $1000 is good income for the local government and I think people who think loving their dog is more important than operating the moving vehicle that they are responsible for should rethink their priorities.

I don't think this law is aimed at people with a labrador in the bed of a truck but at people with a poodle in the driver seat of a BMW.

When some dog shits in the lap of the guy driving the other way and he swerves into my lane, I'm gonna wish he had been hit with a $1000 ticket.
[/quote]

It doesn't matter who it's aimed at, it's retarded, and proof the average american has no clue how bad the nanny state has gotten. If it was just about a dog in someone's lap, that is the wording they would have used... but it's not the wording they used, so obviously you are trying to whitewash a stupid law, and give reason a to a congress full of complete jackasses.

There are already distracted driving laws. Why don't they just use those? I think one is far more likely to get nailed by some 25 year old knob fighting with his G/BF via text message while driving. Making a law to regulate a so very rare non-problem is proof America is getting the gov't they deserve.

Besides, the law also gives the animal control officer the right to stop, and ticket motorists. Handing the fecking dog catcher a pistol, and giving him the right to stop, detain, or even shoot a person is the damn dumbest thing I have heard of in a long time. How can anyone in their right mind think that is an even remotely good idea? What good is ever going to come from it? Edited by TheScotsman

I think nanny-state is a bad choice of name calling. Nanny-state sounds like we're being childlike and should be pouting because we're being told what's good for us. And I think the barrage of laws tightening the noose is more insidious and dangerous than we realize. There's this movement to reduce our ability to make any choices for ourselves. The corral just keeps getting smaller and smaller. And it scares me that this is what the country has become.

'Rani

That's just nuts. I love my dog, I rarely strap her in or put her in a carrier. In Texas if you drive more than 5 miles without seeing a dog in the bed of a pickup or on a flat bad of an oilfield truck, it would be a miracle.

[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1338994137' post='548709']
[quote name='Skoozle' timestamp='1338953807' post='548685']
[/quote]

[/quote]

It doesn't matter who it's aimed at, it's retarded, and proof the average american has no clue how bad the nanny state has gotten. If it was just about a dog in someone's lap, that is the wording they would have used... but it's not the wording they used, so obviously you are trying to whitewash a stupid law, and give reason a to a congress full of complete jackasses.

There are already distracted driving laws. Why don't they just use those? I think one is far more likely to get nailed by some 25 year old knob fighting with his G/BF via text message while driving. Making a law to regulate a so very rare non-problem is proof America is getting the gov't they deserve.

Besides, the law also gives the animal control officer the right to stop, and ticket motorists. Handing the fecking dog catcher a pistol, and giving him the right to stop, detain, or even shoot a person is the damn dumbest thing I have heard of in a long time. How can anyone in their right mind think that is an even remotely good idea? What good is ever going to come from it?
[/quote]

Nanny state - I agree. I think there are tons of laws that should be abolished.

Wording of the law - Poorly written? Probably. I didn’t find a copy of the law, but looking into it shows it is under the animal cruelty laws and a joint effort between the NJ MVC and the NJ SPCA. More evidence that this law was written for the protection of animals; not people. Yep, that’s retarded.

Other states have outlawed loose animals in cars under the distracted driving laws, Good for them, too bad NJ had to pander to the pet owners and link up with the NJSPCA to get this law on the books, but mission accomplished. No more driving with a dog in your lap. By the way, this law doesn’t replace any distracted driving laws.

You honestly think they are going to issue guns and training to animal control officers to enforce this one law? Hell, maybe they carry guns already, who cares? I doubt they have the right to shoot you for not strapping your dog in. Cops can’t shoot you for not strapping your kid in. They have been given the right to write you a ticket, that’s it.

Sure, NJ could have done this a better way, but I think I should have the right to drive on a road without the danger of drunk drivers, texting drivers or drivers with animals in their laps. It endangers my personal safety.

“We don’t want dogs driving with the steering wheel and we don’t want cats who sit on the dashboard.”...
“We’re not talking about dogs who will lay down nicely on the back seat,” she said. “We’re talking about cute lap dogs that sit on your lap and look like they are literally driving the car – or other dogs who hang so far out the window they could leap.” - Elyse Coffey, a spokesperson for the New Jersey MVC

Judging from the skill of some drivers I've seen, I bet there are dogs and cats that could drive better. (excluding Toonces, of course[i] :lol:[/i] )
  • Upvote 1

well i definitely dont like when people drive with their dogs in their laps, i actually yell at them hoping they crash or something because thats dumb. my dog tries sometimes when we are stopped to get in my lap but she is a 40lb dog and they doesn't fly. 99% of the time shes in the back seat, with the kid next to her and hes buckled to the max he hates not being buckled up she never realyl goes in the front. but thats because i dont roll that window down so she stays back there. but yah fine those dumb asses that drive like that dogs in there laps..horrid

Fact 1 - people have been killed by drivers using cell phones for both voice, or text. NHTSA statistics show even a voice call to be more of a driving impediment than the legal intoxication limit set as a federal guideline.
Fact 2 - people have been killed as a result of drivers with excessively loud stereos that were unable to hear emergency or signaling acoustic devices.
2a Loud stereos cause a decreased peripheral perception (Source - FEELING THE MUSIC CAN BE DANGEROUS TO YOUR HEALTH, by Dr. Bart Billings)
2b Loud stereos cause driver aggression (NHTSA data, AAA foundation studies in 2002, 2007, 2009,)
Fact 3 - people are frequently killed by drivers under the age of majority. (NHTSA says driving is #1 cause of death among people under 21)
Fact 4 - 66% of all fatal traffic accidents are caused by aggressive driving (nhtsa statistic)
Fact 5 - deer have killed more people by standing on the road, than people killed by dogs in cars.

It would seem that since we need a law against something that is such a stretch of reality, we must by default, clamp down on some more realistic, and statistically proven risks! We need a min 1K fine for any of the accident-causing behaviour above. Never wish a new law on someone's behavior you dislike, they are likely thinking the same about something you are doing. We need a law that, using a cell phone in any fashion while in motion, any aggressive display, minors below 21 operating vehicles, audio at levels above 85db would result in forfeiture and sale of vehicle, loss of license for 1 year first offense, perm after 3rd. Those law would save more lives than a dimwitted dog law that is purely a result of activism by some leftie group.

As for dogs on my lap - I own, and do Irish Wolfhound and Komondore rescue. They don't fit in the seat, much less my lap. I have a border collie that loves to ride around the property on the back of my KTM adventure... he stays on better than I do. I literally don't have a dog in this race.

What we really need is a law against people that think there should be a law against something they don't like, then make up a reason for a new law.

I actually saw the other day someone driving with a big dog on their lap (must have been a lab), another of the same dog on the passengers lap with its head half way out the window and ANOTHER little poodle looking thing laying against the back window of their car the other day. I could only imagine if they were to get hit, I don't think any of the dogs would have made it. Not to mention if they hit someone else, the lawsuit would be insane..

[color=#FFFFFF][url="http://www.hookahforum.com/user/4608-thescotsman/"]TheScotsman[/url], props to you for rescuing Irish Wolfhounds! I saw 2 the other day and they're HUGE, good god. They were bigger than their owner lol.[/color]

[color="#ffffff"]I saw something on the news a couple days ago where a teen was texting while driving and actually hit and killed someone because they weren't paying attention...He went to jail for life. I think we need to focus more on stopping things like this than giving people ridiculous fines for not strapping in their dogs.[/color]

[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1339689897' post='549256']
Fact 1 - people have been killed by drivers using cell phones for both voice, or text. NHTSA statistics show even a voice call to be more of a driving impediment than the legal intoxication limit set as a federal guideline.
Fact 2 - people have been killed as a result of drivers with excessively loud stereos that were unable to hear emergency or signaling acoustic devices.
2a Loud stereos cause a decreased peripheral perception (Source - FEELING THE MUSIC CAN BE DANGEROUS TO YOUR HEALTH, by Dr. Bart Billings)
2b Loud stereos cause driver aggression (NHTSA data, AAA foundation studies in 2002, 2007, 2009,)
Fact 3 - people are frequently killed by drivers under the age of majority. (NHTSA says driving is #1 cause of death among people under 21)
Fact 4 - 66% of all fatal traffic accidents are caused by aggressive driving (nhtsa statistic)
Fact 5 - deer have killed more people by standing on the road, than people killed by dogs in cars.

It would seem that since we need a law against something that is such a stretch of reality, we must by default, clamp down on some more realistic, and statistically proven risks! We need a min 1K fine for any of the accident-causing behaviour above. [b]Never wish a new law on someone's behavior you dislike[/b], they are likely thinking the same about something you are doing. [b]We need a law that, using a cell phone in any fashion while in motion, any aggressive display, minors below 21 operating vehicles, audio at levels above 85db[/b] would result in forfeiture and sale of vehicle, loss of license for 1 year first offense, perm after 3rd. Those law would save more lives than a dimwitted dog law that is purely a result of activism by some leftie group.

As for dogs on my lap - I own, and do Irish Wolfhound and Komondore rescue. They don't fit in the seat, much less my lap. I have a border collie that loves to ride around the property on the back of my KTM adventure... he stays on better than I do. I literally don't have a dog in this race.

What we really need is a law against people that think there should be a law against something they don't like, then make up a reason for a new law.
[/quote]

Lol.

• 1 month later...