Help With Shiazo Steam Stones!

Hey there guys. I recently received an order of steam stones and I am having an issue of harshness after a half an hour or so. Currently the issue has arisen while using either of my hookahs (I have a QT and then a KM). I have tried using less heat, fiddling with the bowl, changing water in my base, changing hoses, basically everything I could think of.
After having a bowl of these stones go through 2-3 rounds of coconaras I have noticed that the rocks look bright white (somewhat like ash) and the bottom of my bowl where the juices would stay has some black specs that looks like the coals have just dropped their ash into the bowl. (I use a tangiers small phunnel and usually use 3 cocos and use the windcover on and off to manage heat)
Any help would be appreciated as I love the monster clouds I get from these rocks and the flavor is perfect.

2-3 rounds of Coconaras? You've smoked all the juice out of the stones, man. Especially if they're all white. Time to repack with new stones. You can reflavor the used white stones if you have the juice (Shiazo sells it separately, or you can make your own).

[quote name='Tippertheteapot' timestamp='1337570827' post='547652']
Even before the second round i get a slight heat in my lungs from them though. Could this maybe be from too many holes in the foil?
[/quote]

What do you mean, exactly? I find the stones to give off a pretty warm smoke in the first place compared to hookah tobacco...

More or less it feels like I'm smoking a cigarette. I might just be mistaken and that's how thy are supposed to be; I haven't had too much experience with them.

Shouldn't feel like smoking a cigarette, Tipper. They are a much warmer smoke, very... "chemically." I say chemically because I don't really know how else to put it. Artificial? I dunno. I've had this problem before trying to express this.

Here's what I do- Put foil on an EMPTY phunnel bowl (hard poking holes into stones, eh?). Poke tons of holes. Take foil off. Shake the can of stones to mix the juices around, then remove the lid and spoon them into a phunnel bowl (I wouldn't use a standard bowl with these). I make sure the stones are level with the outer rim of the bowl, otherwise they will poke up and mess with the level of the foil. Then I add a TINY bit of the juices from the can of stones to the bowl. Just drizzle it over the stones, using the spoon to hold back the stones still in the can. Put foil back on. Throw coals on. I use three full coco coals on my Tangiers Mini Phunnel. I'd use the same, maybe even four on a Small. These things love the heat. Windcover will help you toward the end of your session with maintaining the cloudage.

Greg- Holy shit! I couldn't go that long on Shiazo... It loses flavor towards the end of round two for me! When I take off the foil after round two is kaput, all the juices are gone and I'm left with white stones.

its really weird that you are having heat issues with the stones. because I use about 3 coals on a small tang bowl, and i've even done 4 and never got hot nothing i'd smoked like 5-6 rounds of coals on it and have no issues i would take the foil off and still have tons of juices in it. so its weird.

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1337660972' post='547725']
Hmm, maybe I got weird stones or something... Mine are always white and dry after two rounds...
[/quote]

Same with mine. 3 tops sometimes

I tried what you said Chreees and had a great first round of coals, but after the first I had some bright bright white and ashy stones. The harshness was not as prevalent though. Thank you very much for helping out with that, makes the stones much more enjoyable. Edited by Tippertheteapot

Chreees maybe when you are putting the stones in the bowl, after just grab some of the juices from the container and pour it over the rocks. that way you have more in there instead of whats just on the rocks.

That could be why you are not able to smoke for very long.

well idk what to tell you, like the rocks are cool but in my mind. i wont buy them again.

it just felt like it was pointless smoke, didn't really feel it going in and going out. and did nothing for me. but to get it to smoke longer just put more in the bowl

[quote name='Pavo21' timestamp='1338172841' post='548106']
well idk what to tell you, like the rocks are cool but in my mind. i wont buy them again.

it just felt like it was pointless smoke, didn't really feel it going in and going out. and did nothing for me. but to get it to smoke longer just put more in the bowl
[/quote]

Lol, you can only put so many rocks in a bowl. I guess you mean use a larger bowl?

lol ,i used a Tangiers medium, i almost used a big ass like super large bowl that eric uses at the lounge, but that probably would hold all the rocks lol. If i did the x-large bowl i could probably just sit on that bowl for like 2-3 weeks.

Hey guys. Stumbled on this post and thought I could add some clarification...

Shiazo should never get harsh enough to be compared to a cigarette, usually you can't even tell you're inhaling it until you realize the cloud when exhaling. I would say the issue is too many coals. Try standing them upright or using less coal. This also depends on the bowl size and coal being used.

Adding excess juice to an already packed bowl does actually hinder rather than extend the life of the bowl. The whole concept behind the "steam stone" is that the flavored glycerine is absorbed inside the mineral and then released once heat is applied. If you come across any of the fake steam stone brands you'll notice that the rock used is white and it is saturated in colored juice. Looks pretty, but the functionality is all wrong. Because Shiazo is a true steam stone, it can be used out of ANY bowl, including standard egyptians. Try the fakes out of a standard egyptian and you'll have flavored, colored water in your base - but no steam generation.

We've found that the Tangiers small phunnel bowl works very well with Shiazo, but like you said, the bigger the bowl, the longer the session. The
x-large bowl is an AMAZING bowl to use Shiazo out of.

Also, after you've finished steaming and the stones turn white, you can throw them back into the jar once cooled and they will soak up any excess glycerine there is left. Give it a good shake and let it sit for a couple minutes and you're ready to reuse.

Pavo21 - In response to your comment about a pointless smoke, you're partially right. What I've realized is that some people smoke for a buzz, some smoke for the social aspect and others smoke for both reasons. At our lounge in California, Shiazo has become really popular for people especially looking for the social aspect, as it is easy to smoke and provides great flavor. We currently serve Shiazo, Haze and Tangiers - Which I feel is like an easy, medium and expert option. So if you're an avid Tangiers smoker and looking for a Noir type buzz, Shiazo isn't going to do it for you - as there is no nicotine. But many of our customers who come in to lounge and socialize, with something easy to puff on, always choose Shiazo.

Anyone feel free to PM me with any and all questions, comments or concerns. Also if you're in the Los Angeles area, stop by our lounge and I'll be happy to set you up with a free sample bowl of Shiazo to try out (just mention HookahForum).

-Robb
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
I really need to try these Shiazo stones out. A friend of mine brought me the Xhale ones and those were terrible! Would try smoking vodca mixed with froyo before trying those again. The Shiazo ones seem decent though.

[quote name='Shiazo' timestamp='1338190177' post='548119']

Anyone feel free to PM me with any and all questions, comments or concerns. Also if you're in the Los Angeles area, stop by our lounge and I'll be happy to set you up with a free sample bowl of Shiazo to try out (just mention HookahForum).

-Robb
[/quote]

I might have to do this! Going to UCLA in the Fall, going to be all new town/ all new people for me, need to at least start with something familiar haha.

[quote name='Shiazo' timestamp='1338896128' post='548623']
Definitely stop by when you move out here! We're about 30 minutes east of UCLA.
[/quote]

Will do! If anything you guys have Tangiers so I will be happy haha.

[quote name='Sisonpyh' timestamp='1338968444' post='548694']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Mmmm. I love Empire :) I can't wait to visit again. Always good to smoke with a Waze buddy too ;)

[quote name='Coyote' timestamp='1338995878' post='548710']
[quote name='Sisonpyh' timestamp='1338968444' post='548694']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Mmmm. I love Empire :) I can't wait to visit again. Always good to smoke with a Waze buddy too ;)
[/quote]

Meet up at Shiazo place anyone?? Tried UCLA facebook group for hookah and out of the 40000 students, there was a total of 2 damn posts! What the hell is that!? At least the ratio was something to 1 :wallbash: