Does The Water Level Affect Smoke Volume?

I'd imagine it doesn't. I think it is advised to keep the water level to 1-1.5 inches above the end of the down stem so that it is not high enough to get in your hose, but not so low either that bubbling displaces the water to an extent where there are moments of it not covering any portion of the down stem at all, and causes you to draw smoke directly from the bowl, however briefly.

Also, as Chris mentioned, it will affect the restriction.

I always try to find a happy balance between restriction and water depth because i've always thought that with more water you get smoother smoke. I'm not sure it actually does, but it technically should, as it is more particles in the water to filter the smoke through. Who knows though, it's a hard thing to test. When there is more restriction on it though, it could affect airflow through the bowl, so, that MAY have something to do with it.

I know I just increased my water to 2" above and it hasn't restricted any. Was just wondering if the smoke would be more dense in the vase then, thus leading to thicker clouds.

If this were true that it does effect the smoke volume. My petite would have almost zero smoke volume since the base only allows about half an inch of water above the down stem. Honestly I don't think it effects anything except the pull. Less meaning an easier pull and more meaning a more restricted pull.

[quote name='DrSmokes' timestamp='1337578988' post='547660']
I know I just increased my water to 2" above and it hasn't restricted any. Was just wondering if the smoke would be more dense in the vase then, thus leading to thicker clouds.
[/quote]
I understand the thought behind this, but i dont think there is enough pressure to condense the smoke like you're suggesting.

Ive found that yes it does. Or at least in terms of readily available smoke volume. You have to pull alot longer and harder to get big clouds with alot of water... not to mention you end up getting water in your hose, and noone likes that.

[quote name='A13lackFish' timestamp='1337643516' post='547711']
Ive found that yes it does. Or at least in terms of readily available smoke volume. You have to pull alot longer and harder to get big clouds with alot of water... not to mention you end up getting water in your hose, and noone likes that.
[/quote]

yah water in the hose is a bad thing start to get that POP noise, but water level with smoke volume nah just depends on how you inhale but also heat and how you packed can amke a difference