Water coming through the hose -why?

I'm a newbie to Hookahs/Sheeshas and this forum.I recently purchased a mini/junior hookah on a visit to Abu Dhabi (about 11inches, pumpkin base, stainless steel and part ceramic stem, quite heavy and sturdy looking with case).Anyway, I sometimes get water specks/drops coming up the hose when I suck, which I usually expel by removing the hose from the hookah mid session, and then blowing out the water -is this because I am over-filling the base with water, or is the setup not totally airtight, or is this due to something else?(really good forum btw -very 'alive')

[quote name='ZAP']I think I have the same hookah and you should reduce the amount you use.  When I use that one I only fill it about 3/4 of an inch above the stem.[/quote] I see! I will try this and will try to post a pic of my Hookah on this thread later.

It could end up being a problem you can't completely avoid. This is a common problem with very small hookahs - - if using less water doesn't help, the only other thing you can do is to be careful how hard you hit the hose. Inhale more slowly...

Had a mammoth session with my bro.Using less water did reduce the number of times this happened to me (it only happeened twice in a 90 minute+ session). I think it may partly be to do with me using ice, which melts quite quickly and perhaps increases the initial volume of water.I will try using even less water next time as I didn;t notice any adverse effects.(off topic: tried out El Baz Cola flavour, fairly dry molasses which didn't last long and was very weakly flavoured, so went back to Cherry AF which is a lot wetter and better flavoured, and continued to smoke for an hour on this stuff. Also tried the Mixed Fruit SOEX again, which I found awful again -just the smell of the molasses makes me feel sick and gives me a headache! I think I'm becoming an AF fan.)

maybe you could make a deflector out of plastic that slips over the pickup tube to help keep the water away from the hose inlet. That could cause problems as far as clearing smoke through the purge valve, but you could play with the idea and see.Kinda like this only a lot different...... [img]http://www.mylivingtree.com/1413pic/704/CP64704.jpg[/img]

Nylon mesh like used on wedding veils may work as well. Imagine the dog with that wrapped around his neck, only a lot different It's one more thing to wash but it should kill that problem. I am thinking it would deaden the hell out of the flurble noise as well [:)}

Actually, that gives me an idea - try making a diffuser. That will reduce the large bubbles to more of a fizzing meaning it shouldn't make it's way up.Check the homemade diffuser thread. The stem is quite thin on these hookahs (if i'm thinking of the same one) so it shouldn't be too difficult finding a pen cap that fits on it. Then just melt/drill some holes in it.

Yes, too much water and/or your hose is shot. If you get a blub, blub effect when you draw, you are drawing water. I second the idewa about sucking through the hose port with no hose on to test if it has too much water.

before you use it, take the hose out of the base, put a free end into the grass or a sink or something, and blow out everything.i use a stargate, and even if the water is a centimetre or two too high, it gets into the hose. good thing it's a washable hose though