Smoking Hookah. Worst Than Cigarettes And Cigars?

I remember back a few years ago one of the reported dangers of smoking from a hookah was heavy metal poisoning lol idk where people come up with this shit

[quote name='Rafael' timestamp='1336315196' post='546788']
[quote name='DrSmokes' timestamp='1336236870' post='546763']
[quote name='kenshinx23' timestamp='1336196167' post='546742']
[font=sans-serif][size=2][color=#000000]The composition of smoke depends on the nature of the burning fuel and the conditions of combustion. So that answers most of your questions there. Because composition is different. Now a lot of basketball ball players and football players smoke cigs. So just because you can run a few miles is not evidence of hookah being any safer. We see more "negative" results of cig. smoking because there are more people smoking it. So of-course the number of people in bad conditions are higher. Truth be old you actually don't have any idea whats in your shisha either. No company really shares everything that takes place in making it. Hell some of it can still contain pesticide for all you know. So when someone says hookah is bad for you, don't be so quick to say no. They maybe right. My answer in those positions is maybe, *puffs smoke* [/color][/size][/font]
[/quote]
I agree with the pesticide deal...I brought that up with Eric when he was talking about carcinogens in tobacco and how it has to be heated to a certain temperature to become a carcinogen. It would be nice if the tobacco makers would say how much pesticides they use and what type. I wouldn't think that that is getting too "personal" with their business, it would just be nice for the consumer to know a lil more of what it is they are smoking.

And let's just say there are pesticides still on the tobacco that we get for our hookah's. I'm willing to bet that all cig tobacco is coated with it too.
[/quote]

Well, i don't think they will ever do this. I mean, they might think this will put the consumers away you know..
[/quote]

I don't think they necessarily know what pesticides might be in their tobacco. They buy it as a raw material for manufacturing into cigarettes, etc. Just as Eric does. The only people who grow their own for their product (and can absolutely track what was used while it was being grown) are usually the imported cigar manufacturers, and probably only the smaller scale "boutique" brands at this point in time. The bigger brands like Cohiba probably buy loose leaf so they have to take the growers word for it.

'Rani

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1336407273' post='546842']
I don't think they necessarily know what pesticides might be in their tobacco. They buy it as a raw material for manufacturing into cigarettes, etc. Just as Eric does. The only people who grow their own for their product (and can absolutely track what was used while it was being grown) are usually the imported cigar manufacturers, and probably only the smaller scale "boutique" brands at this point in time. The bigger brands like Cohiba probably buy loose leaf so they have to take the growers word for it.

'Rani
[/quote]

Actually a lot of the bigger names are big enough to have their own tobacco farms, like Cohiba for instance. Cohiba is one of the biggest players in the cigar world, so why would they buy trash tobacco where they can't have a hand in quality control? That makes no sense. Cohiba actually has it's own subsidiary called Culbro Tobacco which grows and processes tobacco for the Cohiba label. Smaller microbrands can probably grow their own tobacco and control what goes in it, hence the price due to cost of production. But to think the major cigar companies buy loose leaf is like saying Dole doesn't have it's own produce farms. Or Kendall Jackson buys grapes from other vineyards. It's the smaller brand names that no one really buys who can't afford to grow and control their own crop. Those are the ones with lesser quality who probably buy bulk from processing plants. Top quality is top quality for a reason, which is why I buy the best, i.e. Cohiba, Montecristo, Hoyo de Montgomery, and Partagas :)

[quote name='3rooker' timestamp='1336408514' post='546846']
[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1336407273' post='546842']

'Rani
[/quote]

Actually a lot of the bigger names are big enough to have their own tobacco farms, like Cohiba for instance. Cohiba is one of the biggest players in the cigar world, so why would they buy trash tobacco where they can't have a hand in quality control? That makes no sense. Cohiba actually has it's own subsidiary called Culbro Tobacco which grows and processes tobacco for the Cohiba label. Smaller microbrands can probably grow their own tobacco and control what goes in it, hence the price due to cost of production. But to think the major cigar companies buy loose leaf is like saying Dole doesn't have it's own produce farms. Or Kendall Jackson buys grapes from other vineyards. It's the smaller brand names that no one really buys who can't afford to grow and control their own crop. Those are the ones with lesser quality who probably buy bulk from processing plants. Top quality is top quality for a reason, which is why I buy the best, i.e. Cohiba, Montecristo, Hoyo de Montgomery, and Partagas :)
[/quote]

Are you talking about the original Cuban Cohiba? Or the Dominican latest iteration that is produced for the General Cigar Company? The Cuban Cohiba is actually owned by the Cuban government which also owns the tobacco fields themselves. The growers, however, are independent of the production, because the location of the farms is considered highly secret. The General Cigar company version, the only "Cohiba" legally allowed to be sold in the US in produced in the Dominican Republic. The Montecristo is now also produced in the Dominican Republic and Dunhill is involved though I'm not certain of the extent. They may only be distributors. I guarantee you, there are buyers, who travel to the various growers and buy the loose leaf that meets the standard of the brand. A former CFO I worked with was related to a buyer for the Montecristo brands, so he gets boxes for free. He's where a substantial portion of my cigar information comes from on the Dominican production.

Having visited Havana, Santiago de Cuba, and Baracoa (I have lots of Cuban and Dominican friends and travel with them), there are still plenty of "boutique" growers who produce their own cigars. One of the worst thing the embargo did was strip a valuable commodity from the US market. Oh, but wait, it's only tobacco so they don't give a shit, right? It's a shame those are impossible to get in the US, but it is what it is. If you ever get the chance to travel to Cuba, you can send a certain amount back through regular mail, but it's a felony to sell any of it. It's a beautiful country, by the way, nothing like the US Department of Propaganda would have us believe.

The reason most manufacturers don't grow their own is simple: It's not usually financially feasible. You're talking about running two separate industries, including direct labor and overhead costs. It's much more profitable to purchase the loose leaf the meets your standard, and that also means that insurance losses from bad weather, fire, whatever, aren't coming out of your pocket. Plus the grower can't really refuse to sell to the buyer at whatever price they set, because it's not a crop that lends itself to anything other than what it's grown for.

'Rani

Anyone know the purest acclaimed shisha? I have access to an NMR machine (a thing that tells you whats in other things) now for a study I am on, would be cool to see how many products/chemicals are claimed and how many spike up.

For the other nerds who know how to use a NMR, yes i know i can't just trow shisha in there, don't worry.

[quote name='kenshinx23' timestamp='1336537663' post='546957']
Anyone know the purest acclaimed shisha? I have access to an NMR machine (a thing that tells you whats in other things) now for a study I am on, would be cool to see how many products/chemicals are claimed and how many spike up.

For the other nerds who know how to use a NMR, yes i know i can't just trow shisha in there, don't worry.
[/quote]
Tang if i would have to guess is...unless your talking non-tobacco shisha then idek at that point

I am thinking about test AF nakhal and pure tacabo and cigs ones my control group comes in. I dont want to work with Tang just because i feel like many people on this forum are personally informed or aquainted with the owern. I hate typeing on an iphone. Edited by kenshinx23

I ran the NMRs, there were to many spikes in each tobacco to make any sort of conclusion. It beyond the 3-5 chemicals most people to be in shisha tho. I'm gonna start breaking the stuff down and see where i get.

• 2 weeks later...
the biggest thing i learned from this is that rani knows her stuff. it'd be real interesting to pick your brain and just listen to stories that i'm sure you know from your connections. bad ass

There are no harmful effects from Shisha smoking at all,

Because there is no smoke, all you get is the vapour produced by heating the flavour, if there was any smoke you wouldn't be able to have such long puffs people take with shisha as it will hurt your throats.

The only harmful thing which you can say you take in is the chemicals in the flavoring which goes inside you through the vapor or if you use coals such as quicklights. Thats why its always important to use natural coals.

[quote name='Extra Mint' timestamp='1338158188' post='548093']

Because there is no smoke, all you get is the vapour produced by heating the flavour, if there was any smoke you wouldn't be able to have such long puffs people take with shisha as it will hurt your throats.

The only harmful thing which you can say you take in is the chemicals in the flavoring which goes inside you through the vapor or if you use coals such as quicklights. Thats why its always important to use natural coals.
[/quote]

I think its kind of wrong to claim smoking anything is not unhealthy.

[/quote]

Umm Wrong. But i won't go into it now.

So yea i have been running a few tests, the findings are pretty cool. got a professor interested in them. I will post up some soon.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='kenshinx23' timestamp='1338184277' post='548117']

[/quote]

So yea i have been running a few tests, the findings are pretty cool. got a professor interested in them. I will post up some soon.
[/quote]

find anything worth attention?

• 4 weeks later...

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'd like to see what you have come up with

• 1 month later...
When they say 100 cigarettes they mean smoke volume but then again It is more of a vapor then smoke basically. So that means if you do the numbers. The amount of nicotine in cigarettes is usually 0.5% and most hookah tobacco is 0.05% so basically in one hookah smoking amount of time usually an hour you only get 1.5 cigarettes amount of nicotine. And 0% tar which results from combustion. And only 4 ingredients - Tobacco, fruit oils, glycerin, and honey or something like that. Anyways aiming hookah is alot safer then cigars/cigarettes. -W

[quote name='Extra Mint' timestamp='1340764571' post='550136']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'd like to see what you have come up with
[/quote]

sorry i forgot about this thread, but yea we have running a few tests, im not allowed to any of the information into digital format so if your in the nyc let me know. But the studies have been put on hold till the professor comes back from spain.

• 4 weeks later...