5Star 7Ico

Until I sand it down, I've had to poke a few holes over the spire. It seems to be smoking good even though I typically don't poke holes there on other phunnels.

just got my package , when you put a quater on the spire you shouldnt be able to see the quater over the rim right?

mine you can and the spire is higher on one side then the other lol.. how do i sand it down just with any sandpaper ?!

[quote name='Twitchy' timestamp='1335984543' post='546436']
just got my package , when you put a quater on the spire you shouldnt be able to see the quater over the rim right?

mine you can and the spire is higher on one side then the other lol.. how do i sand it down just with any sandpaper ?!
[/quote]

Why don't you trying smoking it first before you break out the sandpaper.

I was out of town the last week so I just go home to find a package waiting for me. (Yay) From left to right:
Pico 7, Tangiers Small ('10 batch), Tangiers Medium ('12)

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/6T5Mll.jpg[/IMG]
from the top

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/FZcCKl.jpg[/IMG]
from the side

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/c3qcWl.jpg[/IMG]
from the bottom

Haven't had a smoke yet but noticed the spire in the middle is little bit thinner than the small and medium. Also the edges of the bowl are a bit rougher too.

[quote name='Coyote' timestamp='1336101441' post='546564']
#7 is not a Pico...

A Pico is a #8

#7 is a #7

If you want to get technical about it...
[/quote]

ah, good to know. I'm smoking out of it now - not exactly enjoying the experience. I think the center spire is a litte too high. Will be going back to using my small is my primary.

[quote name='squidget' timestamp='1336101933' post='546565']
#7 is not a Pico...

A Pico is a #8

#7 is a #7

[/quote]

ah, good to know. I'm smoking out of it now - not exactly enjoying the experience. I think the center spire is a litte too high. Will be going back to using my small is my primary.
[/quote]

Why not just fix the spire?

[quote name='3rooker' timestamp='1336103964' post='546571']
#7 is not a Pico...

A Pico is a #8

#7 is a #7

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I would just buy a #8... the dimensions are different all around. So you could "fix the spire" but that wouldn't do anything to the bowl dimensions.

[quote name='Coyote' timestamp='1336141852' post='546659']
[quote name='3rooker' timestamp='1336103964' post='546571']
#7 is not a Pico...

A Pico is a #8

#7 is a #7

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I would just buy a #8... the dimensions are different all around. So you could "fix the spire" but that wouldn't do anything to the bowl dimensions.
[/quote]

Ermm...we don't have the option to do so, yet?

yes, I would love to buy a #8 but its not available yet to us non-San Deigo peeps. :( In regards to fixing the spire, I'm afraid of jacking it up - I will probably sell it and let someone else fix it.

Have you tried putting holes over the spire yet? I've been overpacking to give lift to the foil but that hasn't provided a good smoke session. This time I slightly underpacked it, put a few small holes over the spire and having a decent session right now. Clouds are good, taste is good, I think I'll be packing it like this from now on.

[quote name='DrSmokes' timestamp='1336152930' post='546679']
Have you tried putting holes over the spire yet? I've been overpacking to give lift to the foil but that hasn't provided a good smoke session. This time I slightly underpacked it, put a few small holes over the spire and having a decent session right now. Clouds are good, taste is good, I think I'll be packing it like this from now on.
[/quote]

Yeah, I normally run my phunnel that way. (it's the way Eric taught me ^_^ ) however it didn't help - the draw was way restricted (was on my egyptian so that shouldn't have been) and the heat was weak (2 coco's with windcover which is how I rock my small). When looking at it compared to the other tangier bowls I have, the center is much higher.

[quote name='squidget' timestamp='1336151018' post='546675']
yes, I would love to buy a #8 but its not available yet to us non-San Deigo peeps. :( In regards to fixing the spire, I'm afraid of jacking it up - I will probably sell it and let someone else fix it.
[/quote]

Several people have fixed their easily using dremmel. Heck, Derek said in this thread that he fixed his just by sandpaper, so you may want to give that a try. These are one of the rarest tangiers bowl you know.

I just used sandpaper and while it does take a while its really easy. You do not have to worry about messing it up, just pack a bowl and if it doesnt smoke right go lower.

put a good 4 hours on the bowl yesterday... guess i got lucky with my spire. probably couldave smoked for longer but I got tired and wanted to go to bed haha.

is it tough to sand down? mine needs sanded down, was using it all weekend up the cabin and it had restricted airflow from the foil hitting the spire...I'm gonna mess around with my packing technique too to see if that helps.

One thing I've done with the spire is put a paper clip on top of it since the foil (no matter how much I stretch it) has had slack and still folds over it. This has yielded nice results since I've tried this. Did this because I don't have anything to sand it down.

[quote name='r1v3th3ad' timestamp='1336429697' post='546863']
is it tough to sand down? mine needs sanded down, was using it all weekend up the cabin and it had restricted airflow from the foil hitting the spire...I'm gonna mess around with my packing technique too to see if that helps.
[/quote]

No its easy just takes a while, be sure to get some low grit as well or it will take forever. Something you can do while you are smoking another bowl though. Plus I think sanding is a great exercise tool in character building.
  • Upvote 1