Zaghoul Tobacco

So me and my buddy alex thought we would search for some Zaghoul and we found it first shop we went to and we talked to the owner about it and he said thats its kind of hard to smoke and something speical and was a different smoke compared to other shishas so we tried it and it is pretty much like a cigar something we weren't sure about so we did it was definitly something werid for us and very good experiment but now we got like 500gm of it hahaha but it wasn't something i enjoyed. the flavor was werid but we might mess with it add some stuff and make it more social cause its werid hahaha here is some images.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/Blitzbolt/b3744d1f.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/Blitzbolt/81cfb005.jpg[/IMG]

If anyone else has tried it share your experience with it and if i modified it at all

ive bin working up the courage to do it grats man. I normally buy one box at a time so if i got some it would be what i had to smoke till its gone (wifes rules) .So was it harsh? strong? clouds?

[quote name='ezxen' timestamp='1332449468' post='543086']
ive bin working up the courage to do it grats man. I normally buy one box at a time so if i got some it would be what i had to smoke till its gone (wifes rules) [u][b].So was it harsh? strong? clouds?[/b][/u]
[/quote]

Harsh: yes, but not unbearable.
Strong: very much so, if you like it you should dedicate a hose (possibly a whole pipe).
Clouds: thinner than you're used to.

Zag also makes a great mixer with almost any other tobacco (DA, Rose, and Jasmine are favorites of mine to mix). Mixing Zag into a bowl of flavored mu'assel gives it a fierce buzz and strong, cigar-like tobacco flavor.

Also, I recommend using a fairly shallow and wide bowl to use, made of heavy unglazed clay. My personal favorite for black leaf tobaccos is HJ's Italian Clay bowl.

ohhh now we are talking about the good stuff.

yeah it takes some practice to get right..but you get a good idea no matter how bad you fudge your first crack at zag..
khan el kahlili is even stronger
moassel salloum is smoother then zag and comes more fresh and can make good clouds
al fakher soft black is much mellower comes very juicy and makes thick clouds...really the best one to try first but only in kilos..

its great to mix this with flavored stuff

[quote name='twoapplesplease' timestamp='1332454982' post='543096']

moassel [u][b]salloum[/b][/u] is smoother then zag and comes more fresh and can make good clouds

[/quote]

Salloum is faaantastic. I'll second this recommendation.

So yah smoke does not get thick it stays light no mater the coals u add to it, also it is very cigar like, and yes i made the mistake of using my KM and it stained it bad been smoking mimon to get it out its almost gone u defnitly need to designate a pipe and hose to this tobacco it is very strong in flavour and smell, also it isn't very harsh its just a COMPLETELY different smoke, long drags wont do anything but i didn't get a buzz from it but my buddy alex and friend chelsea both did and i smoked more of it them then, it is 0.6 nicotine it says on the box but it was awesome experience

[quote name='Hassouni' timestamp='1332462159' post='543107']
So the more I've read, it seems the best way is to mix it w glycerine and use foil, though it will still need more heat
[/quote]

I wholeheartedly agree with this, as well as the above post re: a shallow clay bowl. Putting the coals directly on the tobacco is apparently more traditional, but I prefer the more even heating that foil imparts. And while this is more traditional, it's still not exactly tombac.

It also can make a good mixer, but when I've done this I've kind of felt like the Zaghloul is stealing the show, sort of like making a gin & juice and wasting really good gin on it. Edited by Christopher Mason Taylor

My experience with Zag...

[b]PROS:[/b]
Good buzz
Easy prep
decent tobacco flavor, almost a dark cavendish
Cheap as all getout.

[b]CONS:[/b]

If you use a hose for Zag, it stays that way. Forever.
Smelly
Due to the fact it's produced in mass and just sits waiting to be sold (Zag isn't Nakhla's most popular flavor) I've come across a couple boxes that were suprisingly, even MORE dry than fresh Zag.

Would I buy it again? No. Desi Murli is much more enjoyable with the same strong, bold and traditional style.

yah i was thinking about mixing it with a naklah like 50/50 or 60/40, but i feel like i'd need another hooka hfor that probably just use the qt or something so that way i dont ruin anything else

Mo'assel isn't ment to be smoked without foil.
one layer of foil and 3-4 coals on an egyptian bowl should do the trick.

You won't be pulling out any clouds with this stuff, just a good tobacco flavor.

Does anyone think Zag would make a good base to make your own flavored shisha from? I've smoked it before and know its really strong, but it seems like it'd be better than getting pipe tobacco.

[quote name='cyber wolf' timestamp='1332554355' post='543181']

You won't be pulling out any clouds with this stuff, just a good tobacco flavor.
[/quote]

Although I agree with you on almost all points, I wouldn't really classify Zaghoul as Mu'assal. I think I prefer the dark undertones of smoking it without foil as opposed to with foil and extra coals.

[quote name='TheyCallMeDave' timestamp='1332557331' post='543185']

Although I agree with you on almost all points, I wouldn't really classify Zaghoul as Mu'assal. I think I prefer the dark undertones of smoking it without foil as opposed to with foil and extra coals.
[/quote]

Technically it is mu'assal. Pretty much everything besides 'Ajami, jurak, and maybe DM is.

[quote name='ryno' timestamp='1332554820' post='543182']
Does anyone think Zag would make a good base to make your own flavored shisha from? I've smoked it before and know its really strong, but it seems like it'd be better than getting pipe tobacco.
[/quote]

My buddy and i were thinking of doing some stuff to it adding some flavoring to it and trying to make it happen we got 500g of it so might as well

[/quote]

[/quote]

Everyone has their preferences, Zaghloul is a mo'assel, it is a mix of tobacco and molasses. I find that smoking it without foil gets rid of all of the undertones, completely, and instead of tasting plums, figs, and tobacco... You instead get a harsh, burnt, cigarette like flavor. It just gets rid of all of its subtleties.

[quote name='Pavo21' timestamp='1332580937' post='543201']
[quote name='ryno' timestamp='1332554820' post='543182']
[/quote]

My buddy and i were thinking of doing some stuff to it adding some flavoring to it and trying to make it happen we got 500g of it so might as well
[/quote]add some glycerine and some sort a flavoring

[quote name='cyber wolf' timestamp='1332596170' post='543213']
Everyone has their preferences, Zaghloul is a mo'assel, it is a mix of tobacco and molasses. I find that smoking it without foil gets rid of all of the undertones, completely, and instead of tasting plums, figs, and tobacco... [b]You instead get a harsh, burnt, cigarette like flavor. It just gets rid of all of its subtleties.[/b]
[/quote]

Exactly this.

[quote name='cyber wolf' timestamp='1332596170' post='543213']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Everyone has their preferences, Zaghloul is a mo'assel, it is a mix of tobacco and molasses. I find that smoking it without foil gets rid of all of the undertones, completely, and instead of tasting plums, figs, and tobacco... You instead get a harsh, burnt, cigarette like flavor. It just gets rid of all of its subtleties.
[/quote]

I'm glad to hear this - I always felt that due to the molasses it was appropriate to use foil - I love the rich, smoky currant flavor I get this way, but I always feared I was being wimpy using foil.

I hate to think of adding "flavorings" - it is marvelously flavored on its own, but I understand why people want to do this. I occasionally get in a mood and add a little rose to it. If its super harsh to you, try backing off on the heat a little and see if you can't get some wonderful flavors.

I still have yet to test this again for a second try but when i do maybe i will use foil and see if it makes difference to me which im sure it will i just need to get a differen't hookah to use it on and i will let you guys know how it goes

OK, well, it works.

Used some plain, lightweight foil, packed loosely in my ultra shallow bowl, with 4 Razans.

Definitely more smoke than no foil, and no burning taste. It still packs a hell of a buzz, I was feeling it after a few minutes of very light puffs, and proper inhales will wreck you. I lasted about 30 minutes before I figured smoking any longer would be detrimental to my productivity for the rest of the day. Flavor now is exactly as it smells in the box.

• 1 year later...

A while ago I picked up a ton of oil based candy flavorings, and today I felt like having some adventure. I mixed zag with some glycerine and blueberry flavoring. Packed tight (is it possible to pack this light? hah) in an alien, with foil and two razans laid flat with a windcover on for the first 20 min or so. Smoking through a turkish hose I use for unique flavors. Smoke isn't big, but the flavor is coming on strong. Subtle hint of blueberry in there, but it's still mostly the nuanced zag taste. The mix of blueberry and the currant undertone that zag has is pretty great, but I think next time i will add more blueberry.