I'm Back, And I Have A Problem! :(

Hi all, haven't been here in over a year (god damn...)
After some curveballs that life threw at me I hadn't used my hookah in over a year, completely disregarded it, that was until the other day when I had a massive craving and stopped in at a brand new lounge which just opened up for my first hookah in ages. If anyone remembers my old posts, hookah tobacco over here in Australia is RIDICULOUSLY priced (australian sin taxes have tobacco on a 1000% excise!) and flavors were limited to AF grape & mint and Nakhla double apple. This new lounge however now stocks several hookahs for purchase and a variety of flavors at very reasonable prices, and I walked out with the taste of guava and watermelon on my lips and a tub of AF vanilla for my poor neglected 22" MYA which had sat in it's case for too long.

So I went to fire it all up again the other day, tangiers mini phunnel with some AF grape and coconaras, and well, it tasted absolutely weird...
I thought maybe it just needed a thorough clean so i did the whole baking soda and vinegar clean, scrubbed it in hot water and dried it out. Tried it again today with a double apple and vanilla combo in my mini phunnel and while I could taste the aniseed, something was still wrong....

So I cleaned the hookah quickly and made up a bowl of straight vanilla, and still it tasted like ass... I couldn't figure out what was wrong....

Then I remembered I had an old hose from my first Chinese hookah when I started smoking, grabbed it, gave it a quick clean with compressed air, stuck it in the other hose hole and bingo, I can taste the vanilla properly now!

I'm currently sitting here with two hoses, my MYA standard hose which tastes like crap, and my old hose which tastes like vanilla with a slight ass taste in the background...

Now I remember that just before I packed up my hookah, the last time I used it my friend packed the bowl with some very wet AF grape, and the juices dripped all the way down the stem, in to the base and also the hose inlets, I gave it a good clean with vinegar and baking soda that day but the last time I used it I remember it tasting like ass again.

My question is, is my setup tainted? I know now that my hoses are most definitely no good, but could my stem be possibly tainted too...?

Sorry for the long post boys and girls :) much love and happy smoking, I await some advice!
Thanks!

If your hookah shaft or vase are smelling, lots of hard cleaning can clear that up.

Aside from that, get a hold of a decent new hose! And welcome!

I'm still not sure about the stem, having just finished smoking this whole vanilla bowl, I really think something's not right with my setup, I'm going to give it another deep clean now and I'll see how it comes out with the next flavor :)

[quote name='lilwoggy' timestamp='1331960937' post='542758']
I'm still not sure about the stem, having just finished smoking this whole vanilla bowl, I really think something's not right with my setup, I'm going to give it another deep clean now and I'll see how it comes out with the next flavor :)
[/quote]

Make sure to clean out the hose port and purge valve (including the cap and ball) really well. Shit can get stuck in there (and it's not always easy to get out) and will make things nasty. I'm not sure what is readily available to you, but some sort of pipe cleaner brushes will come in handy.

Lemon juice helps, but I find it helps a LOT better this way!

Take 2-4 lemons. cut them in halves, put all pieces face down on a microwave safe tray and heat it in the microwave for 1 minute (I use the '900W' setting on mine).

Now when you take them out of the microwave, you will see that they have gone completely squishy, and when you squeeze them, then you will get not only the juice, but all of the pulp out as well. Use this to clean your hookah. I tried this based just on an instinct and at least to me, it looks like it works better than just lemon juice....may be because of the pulp? or it being hot? or both? Idk.

Oh, and of course, you'd need real lemons for this.